Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

1. Could be a toggle so the user has to indicate if they want to add a series or first volume
  2. I didn’t realize adding from the book page was even an option
  3. Probably for now, but I also think allowing series reviews would be a good enhancement
5 Likes

Small pain point on the list edit screen… it would be great to have a Save button at top, rather than having to scroll all the way down to the bottom (esp if you have a long list). It’s almost certainly a more frequent action than the Delete button (currently on top), which is a one-time thing :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Also a “Save Draft” button would be super useful to have, for those of us who like to overthink things take our time working on things.

8 Likes

That’s fine. That’s a line of argumentation we use at the e-commerce site (large consumer facing website in the German speaking realm) that I work at as well. We sometimes change around our CTA in the navigation depending on what we are promoting currently.

I didn’t even realized the forums featured on the Dashboard though, because I never scroll down. Probably because I don’t use the popular feed anymore and thus only follow a few people and not have as many updates that make me scroll? :slight_smile: Maybe as a compromise it would be better to move some Forums hint to the top to the dashboard, as I am not sure if the incentive to scroll is there for everyone. But those are just some ideas and some experiences I made in the past. I am also not sure where to put it more prominent inside the dashboard, as I like the dashboard in its current setup :smiley:

4 Likes

On the list of lists, my own list appears with 4 items, but I added 2 more to the list.
Is it something that will get updated eventually or is it stuck with the initial list length?

3 Likes

There was a bug around this but now fixed.

Yes please :slight_smile:

I think there’s a request for that? If not there should be.

Also @seanblue and @Megumin fixed that series ratings bug and the series favorited color.

@Naphthalene (?) I fixed the pencil for custom tags to not trigger the search.

I also only show one tag on the lists of list page now, along with a little icon to expose more tags.

7 Likes

Oh… looks like it’s part of this:

3 Likes

I’ll close the ticket then! Thanks

1 Like

Ok, lists is formally announced, see blog post below! (i’ve also edited the previous message to include the blog post link)

8 Likes

I just saw that you might add English to Natively. Will you also translate the whole page to other languages? If so, I can help with the French translation, and I’m pretty sure that between all of us we cover quite a lot of languages.

5 Likes

Oof, I’d love to and thank you for offering! Unfortunately the technical side of offering a site in multiple languages is something i’m not experienced in and generally seems quite frightening. For now, I’m just going to focus on simply allowing people to specify their native languages and go from there.

Of course, that will limit people to either being proficient enough in English to use the site and/or rely on browser translation. Granted, looking at how many Japanese learners use bookmeter, I think there’ll still be a size-able audience for it.

We’re also already good-to-go with book additions since i’m approved for amazon.com.

There may be some nuances around reviews & gradings, but as long as we have your native language, we can just fix any issues we encounter later on if needed :laughing:

Edit: Also like / repost my post on twitter about lists https://twitter.com/learnnatively/status/1748288383909249038!

7 Likes

Just a small nitpick, but it would be great if the iPhone reader view worked on the blog page. Whenever I try to use it, it displays the post from 8/31/21 instead of the latest post. It’s just a slight pain because the website can be a bit bright and my reader mode settings use a dark background, so it’s sad when it doesn’t work.

3 Likes

That was me, I believe; thanks! Another bug to go with that, though: when the custom tag is long enough, the text overflows onto the pencil icon and I can no longer click it to edit it:

6 Likes

@brandon any plans to add visual novels to the site?

2 Likes

Absolutely, yes! I’m hoping to add them the first half of this year, along with video games. It will probably be the next item type we add as it will most likely be the easiest. We’re planning to use https://www.igdb.com/ as an information source if you want to check your novels are on that site :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Omg dark mode???

3 Likes

I was wondering when someone would notice. I’m not sure it’s entirely ready for primetime, but I did add a button for it, yes! :slight_smile:

FWIW I am tweaking the main site navigation so there have been changes there (removed username next to photo for more room).

3 Likes

Still needs a lot of work though. The contrast is pretty low and there are plenty of places still using light colors. Any idea when you’ll put more time into it?

1 Like

I’m happy to put more work into it, but just need a bit of direction. Maybe log some bugs or some notes in the dark mode ticket? I haven’t checked that yet, perhaps there are some already existing issues I should address.

Regardless, I think making it active will get me to work on it more :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

To be blunt, it’s so far off that I don’t even know where I’d start making suggestions… The biggest issue by far is the contrast. The text is basically unreadable many places, particularly where the background is also a lighter grey (image below). I’d recommend referencing Discourse’s dark theme or if necessary asking a professional designer to help you out.

(I’ll share this comment in the dark mode ticket as well)

4 Likes

awesome! looking forward to it!

1 Like