Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

I have the same problem with books from as recently as 2 years ago. I’ve gotten better since then, and since I can only judge by the subjective difficulty I felt when reading a book (which is heavily dependent on my own Japanese level) how can I even start comparing books that felt difficult then with books that feel difficult now?

Should we maybe make a product request or is there one already? :thinking:

9 Likes

My activity log is acting weird. I just marked some pages as read, that worked fine, then read a children’s book in one go and marked it as finished, which doesn’t show up anywhere in activity (neither on the book page nor on personal or general activity feed). The activity for my review however is there.

2 Likes

Can we reorder custom tags? I feel like I saw something about the possibility of that before a while back, but I didn’t see a product request for it although I could have just missed it

2 Likes

Bug: Finished book not showing in activity feed - Natively / Product Requests - Natively Forums (learnnatively.com)

:eyes: @brandon?

5 Likes

I feel like there is a product request, but searching for it I can’t seem to find it.

2 Likes

“Lists” changing to “tags” makes finding things a bit more difficult. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Looks like I already voted for it, cool.

I randomly remembered about it today since I started thinking about custom tags for videos now that I have some (well, one) on here, but all I can do is edit their names

6 Likes

I think it’s fine that it doesn’t. The grading system has no idea what my memory is like, nor whether I’ve reread something recently. Then again, I’ve only been logging stuff since Aug 2022… So maybe my opinion would change in a few years :stuck_out_tongue:

Still… sometimes I have a stronger impression of the difficulty/features of things I read earlier on than things I’ve read recently (things seem more 普通 / less remarkable after repeated exposure). Or sometimes the answer is just really obvious, regardless of read date (like fantasy manga are usually harder than most yuri or slice of life).

I think it’s fine either way… But might be worth having as a toggle or number of years (like “don’t compare to items x years or older”, as a setting), if you implement it

2 Likes

I’m not sure why, but not all links seem to be generating previews

3 Likes

This has been a consistent problem for a while now, unfortunately. If you go back in to edit the post and hit save, it may render correctly.

1 Like

It does not unfortunately. I tried a couple of times. Usually it resolves itself

1 Like

There’s a (quite short) timeout before Discourse gives up on getting the text.
Sadly, Natively takes a similar amount of time to provide that info on average. The more links you have in one post, the higher the probability that at least one of them will not update properly.
We would need either Discourse to be more patient (but that parameter might not be available to the admin) or Natively to (magically) take less time. Both options seem kinda difficult to implement.

9 Likes

I mean, speeding up the site isn’t fully unwarranted :sweat_smile:, but yeah not a huge priority purely for discourse’s sake.

I will say that people tend to link a lot of natively things, more than something like wanikani, so they’ll notice outages more. Still unfortunate and very annoying about the discourse issue :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

10 Likes

SMALL PRODUCT UPDATE

You can now set native languages & languages you’re studying that aren’t on Natively! :slight_smile:

Simply go to your account settings and you now have a ‘languages’ table you can edit:

Why would you put a native language? As i’ve mentioned before, it’ll turn off the grading functionality for you, which is what we’d like. Also, it’s another way to showcase your knowledge, especially as we add languages (English next! :slight_smile: ).

Why would you put a language you’re studying that isn’t on Natively? Obviously you can’t toggle it, but it would show on your profile. It may also encourage me to add that language :wink:

Once we add English (probably next week), I’ll put all these past updates in a blog post…

15 Likes

Minor ask: when I select the question mark and star icons on the Languages tab in the settings, the pop-ups don’t automatically close when I click out of them:

You can even just barely see the * popup I clicked behind the Status one. Could this be updated so that clicking outside the pop-up closes it?

I really like the “(Not) Available on Natively” sorting on the Add Language dropdown, by the way; great idea:

Although glancing through it, I notice that Irish isn’t on the list, and I know we have at least one member on the forums (@meagstudies) studying it.

6 Likes

Oh shoot you’re right, totally forgot to add that. Fixed now.

Oh no, you don’t get the flags! :scream:

I didn’t realize some browsers wouldn’t render the unicode flags. What browser is it?

Yeah, I’m sure we have a lot of languages we could add. I took the list from LingQ to start, but tell me more. Added ireland!

5 Likes

I’m on Chrome, Version 121.0.6167.161.

1 Like

I’m assuming you’re on windows? Apparently, windows doesn’t support text flag emojis (unicode flags), very unfortunate.

I may need to just switch all these flags over to images, hmm.

3 Likes

Yup, windows indeed!

2 Likes

Scottish Gaelic and Welsh are also missing… :uk:

I think you may need to use a more extensive list, even bigger languages like Thai and Vietnamese are missing. :slightly_frowning_face:

Also, how do we feel about conlangs? :eyes: Esperanto in particular has a substantial amount of books published.

6 Likes