Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

Is it possible to exclude manga from the statistics on your profile? Or maybe a toggle would be nice: manga - novels - combined, or something similar.
I love the statistics but I hate to see manga pages read and novel pages read intermixed… so much so that I removed all of my read manga (not a large amount, but still) from bookmeter.
But I would love to track both on Natively and get accurate (separate) stats for both mediums.

11 Likes

Feature request: Add a setting that let’s us choose whether “where to find” links go to the digital or physical versions, when possible. I find that most of the time I click a “where to find” link, I have to switch to the digital version on Amazon afterward anyway.

2 Likes

Another idea: A stats section to show your score distribution. Would be good to be able to filter that chart by book type (well, that would be good for the whole page I guess). Similar to this AniList chart:

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with AniList’s UI - is this the score you give to books (ex: 3/5) or the difficulty score?

1 Like

I just meant score out of 5 (AniList doesn’t have difficulty scores anyway). So for Natively it would just have five bars, from 1/5 to 5/5. Maybe having a simple average at the top of the stats page would be nice as well.

3 Likes

Yes, agreed on all these ideas! @Myria suggestion for filters (which @seanblue has also suggested) is the next thing to add when I do stats. Please don’t remove your manga for this reason, I will add those filters soon hopefully!

3 Likes

A small request: on the Browse menu, could we get a ‘New Books’ option that links to the sort by recently added results? :slight_smile:

(Also, maybe this is simply something being sluggish, but while looking at the newer books, I noticed that one that was added for me a couple days ago isn’t showing up in either recently added or in a search - ときめく妖怪図鑑 | L30??)

1 Like

I kinda don’t want to add to that menu… already long enough :sweat_smile:

I’m sorry! In what seems like a monthly battle, I am again fighting with Amazon’s search servers. Of course all my solutions from last battle seems to not be relevant to this one.

Right now approximately 70% of the search database is there, but the remaining less popular 30% may take a little while to appear in search.

3 Likes

I think there would be a reasonable amount of people who might want to look specifically for standalone books or series. Right now, you can set the search page to one volume only for series, but you can’t filter them out or the other way around. I also think it would be useful if we could see the volume count or filter out series in our library. You can see how many books are in a series in the search page, but not on the library for books in your wishlist if you only added the first volume. I guess this isn’t a problem for people who don’t add a million things to their wishlist, but it can be hard to tell what’s a standalone book or not.

2 Likes

Aside from the number of reading sessions, it would be doable to add a progress % like in the frontpage?

3 Likes

Haha… alright all these requests are getting a bit out of hand, which is great but also :exploding_head:

I will be making a Trello board this week. To be honest, I’m not sure how much people will really look at the Trello board, but, at the very least, it will allow me the action of logging your request and being able to retrieve quickly later.

As you might imagine though… while I’d LOVE to get to the overwhelming amount of “nice-to-haves”, many will unfortunately hang out in the ‘requested’ status for quite a long time. Too much to do :confused:

10 Likes

Not sure if it can be done with Trello, but some sort of upvote thing for the requests column might help you find what the community thinks it’s more important to them.

Of course that’s just a reference for you, and you can end up doing whatever order, but I think it would be nice.

2 Likes

Heh. I guess this is part of the concern for me. I have pretty limited capacity and I really have to focus on growth initiatives and features, which are generally less prioritized by the community.

I also have to frankly acknowledge that the UI requests have to be juxtaposed against competition… and I already think the Natively UI, filters & search are far superior to the competition, which means those requests are de-prioritized.

Now, that’s not to say I don’t want do these UI requests and that I don’t really appreciate feedback… I do! If they’re quick development time for a nice quality of life boost, obviously I’ll try to slip it in. I do want to keep making it nicer! Many of the things mentioned here too (tagging, book descriptions) do impact a wide swath of users and tangibly limit the growth of the book site, so they are high priority.

But, my (perhaps unreasonable) worry with voting is that people become a little jaded if I don’t follow it… and that people will be more focused on little UI things :sweat_smile:

Just surfacing the trello board without voting provides a bit more fuzziness and emphasizes how large the backlog is… making people a bit more understanding when the feature doesn’t get implemented.

Don’t know if all that makes sense, but that’s where I’m at right now.

6 Likes

By the way, just for fun, you could make a poll about all those features, to see which ones are the most requested. (And warn that poll results are non-binding)

1 Like

Just make any poll / upvote system include smaller QoL items only and make clear that they will only occasionally be done in between larger items.

By the way, I know you really want to get to audiovisual and Korean as soon as possible, but personally I think it would be better to make general improvements and improve the existing Japanese reading scenario first. I just have too much experience with my company always chasing the new thing instead of improving what they already have. They claim they do it because the market is tapped out on their core product (which may or may not be true), but Natively is still young and has a ton of room to grow within the Japanese reading community. I think moving into a second language this early would be a huge mistake (audiovisual less so, but still a bit risky).

Things I’d like to see before those big initiatives:

• Ability to set actual favorite books/series to be displayed on the profile Overview page
  • More charts on the stats page
  • Book type filter on the stats page
  • Tweaking of the grading approach to alleviate issues with high level manga (even if just expanding the range for those)
  • More filtering options for the activity feed (e.g. filter out “reading updates”, filter by book type)
  • Ability to tweak gradings more easily. Having to go to the Gradings page and search is confusing
  • On-site notifications, with settings to choose whether to receive a notification, an email, or both for certain events. Specifically, I want an on-site notification for when a book I request gets added instead of an email. On-site notifications for when a new volume of a series you’re reading has been added to the site would also be nice. Notification when someone follows you. Surely more I can’t think of off the top of my head.
  • Social page should be improved. At least include profile pictures, but it’s really awkward right now.

(All that was just off the top of my head / from a quick scan of the tabs on the site, I’m sure I’ll have more later.)

6 Likes

I understand your concerns about strategy that you’re laying out here and appreciate the feedback!

I too have been in similar companies. And yes Natively is no where near tapped out yet for the Japanese community. But that’s not really my intent though. My concern is more about being flexible when it comes to growth… able to expand into other languages / other types rapidly if I need to. If I figure out audiovisual & a 2nd language now, I’ll be much more comfortable simply focusing entirely on tapping out those segments… as I’d know how to expand.

I don’t plan to move onto a 3rd or 4th language without greatly expanding the Korean / Japanese communities and show that I can tap them out.

I’m happy to discuss more about the overall strategy, but I’d probably prefer to do so via DMs :slight_smile:

Edit: FWIW I’m actually not terribly concerned about adding Korean… it’s adding mostly filters and a book request functionality. Maybe a little search. Much more concerned about AudioVisual, as it’s new.

We’ll have to see though.

8 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 9.13.06 AM
Maybe it can go somewhere over here, then? I pretty much ignore the prize winners, so maybe in the additional filters section? I did notice that the drop down menu of “sort by” has it:
Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 9.14.46 AM

1 Like

On a completely different topic, I just came across a TL novel with no warning that it’s R18. I guess whoever requested it just didn’t put any info in the comment box.

What’s the policy with such book? Should we report them in some way, or should we just rely on the reader’s intelligence (considering they would have to buy it in an R18 category, and, in this specific instance, there’s 溺愛 and 淫れる in the title anyway)

2 Likes

Please use the feedback mechanism to report it.

While I agree that most R18 content is pretty obviously R18, it’s good to mark it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is my first time using the feedback mechanism, I hope I did it right :sweat_smile:

1 Like