Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

So yeah I think these are great ideas for Add a "blank book" to allow the user to track reading material not applicable to Natively but I think you’re also illustrating that this isn’t a super straightforward to add. There are quite a few things to consider. :slight_smile:

I do think that we should have a new content type for all these non-book formats like inserts or web comic. Anything that isn’t marked by chapters and pages should not be a book… should be something else. But I know that people do a lot of reading on these things so it’d be great to track. We just have to do it sensibly.

Doujinshi that are published in a more traditional book or things that do not have isbns but are a book could definitely be added as a ‘book’.

As a random aside… do we think a lot of users prefer character counts to pages? I wonder how useful it’d be to allow users to submit a character counts for books which could be used by for everyone. As long as they didn’t include a preface, they should be same across editions. Character count may become more of a thing as we add more item types, as it is cross format. Granted, I’m not in any hurry to add more item types… so hard to do well :sweat_smile:

btw what if you could add series rather than volumes to your reading wishlist? i know this is against the intent of a “wishlist” per se but i never only plan to read just volume 1 of something

3 Likes

Same, but I just add #1 and that’s enough for me really usually

3 Likes

so I think this is just too complicated for too little value, but what do you feel the benefits of having a series on your wish list rather than an item?

not really, if it’s hard to implement not really worth it

1 Like

I wonder if I am supposed to grade “stopped” books. I also find, barely read, stopped books, appearing in grading questions, and I really have to skip such grading questions.

An idea is, around more than 30% read might allow grading, or appearing in other book’s grading? Or perhaps, partially read books might be grading, but shouldn’t appear in comparison, unless graded?

Anyway, I don’t think grading questions appear on that book’s page directly.

Searching in Natively pushes to history on every character typed, so I have to press back so many times, to go back a real former page. Probably a solution is to use history.replaceState?

My Kiwi Browser on Android is also broken. Holding back button doesn’t show the history list.

2 Likes

Did something break the ‘stickiness’ of the book/watch selection tabs on dashboard? Feel like show updates are invading my feed again.

1 Like

Are you referring to this?
It’s working properly for me.

1 Like

I’m sorting from lowest to highest difficulty. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Apologies on the brief delay, my brother has been in town the past week :slight_smile:

Thanks for all this! Would you mind putting these in a Product Requests? It’d really help for tracking.

Not to my knowledge! Is it still not working for you? It should be tied to your account :confused:

hmm… i’ll have to look into that…

1 Like

re stickiness, it’s fixed itself, not sure if because i was jumping between browsers/machines or something, but it seems to be fine again. All good!

1 Like

If you have a larger library (>500 items), you may see some slowness right now on the initial load of your library. Thankfully, after that load, any filtering you do should be lightning quick.

Working to resolve the initial load issues today.

2 Likes

Is it just me or do the emoji in the recent forum topics not render correctly?

1 Like

Is it just me or did it used to display the actual names of the shows in the user profile?
grafik

The overview for watched series shows “Season 1” as name for most of them.

2 Likes

heh i guess so! They aren’t stored as true emojis, just text as you can see. I can see though if Discourse has a way to render it, good catch.

whoops! Fixed. I guess I broke that with the recent library update.

2 Likes

Did something go wrong with the Most Recent sorting? A bunch of kid’s books I read a month ago have floated to the nearly-top and a graded reader i finished after Ruridragon has disappeared somewhere into the depths of my list.

Actually the whole thing is out of order now! Sorting by Least Recent doesn’t do anything either, though sorting by difficulty etc seems to still work.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting! It should be all fixed now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Aaaah, @brandon! My personal notes disappeared from my library! :sob: Please tell me they can be restored! (Also, individual books collapsed into series in my Owned section are being sorted descending, when it used to be ascending iirc.)

1 Like

I think they now sort within series based on the sorting criteria you have selected, which I welcome! The default is “most recent”, so if you added them in ascending volume order it is sorted correctly. Previously it ignored the sorting order (so you are right that this changed), which personally I found confusing and annoying.

2 Likes

Whoops! Yes that was just a display bug, it should be fixed now. And don’t worry, even if it had been deleted somehow, we got lots of backups… we’d never lose your notes! :slight_smile:

Ahh yes, @seanblue is right. I didn’t even realize I was changing that, but that is a consequence of the update. If people prefer it the other way let me know… but yes I agree that I think it’s more intuitive this way.

1 Like