Grading on stopped books

Description of your bug report:

I have encounter requests to use two of my stopped books as a comparison to grade other properly finished books.

This book was repeated in the grading even if I barely read. I have to manually skip grading questions then. However, it is now finished reading.

Another book has been read enough, so I am now somewhat satisfied with the grading. However, it is should be manually clicked, rather than in the global grading system.

Originally posted here.

Trello link:

Other than the idea of specifically choosing to grade that book, probably around more than 30% read might allow grading, or appearing in other bookā€™s grading?

Otherwise, not completely read books shouldnā€™t appear in comparison, unless graded.

2 Likes

I agree. Iā€™d like books that I dropped to not appear in the gradings at all. Most of them I didnā€™t read enough of to feel confident grading. I feel like someone could also misinterpret the difficulty based on the small portion they read and really mess up the difficulty scale for that book. For example, Girlā€™s Last Tour starts off very easy and get substantially harder throughout the first volume.

3 Likes

So long as you can still review a dropped book I donā€™t care if you can grade it or not. I feel comfortable grading things Iā€™ve read ~30% of, but I also am fine leaving a review stating what the difficulty was and why I dropped it (I usually do anyways :sweat_smile:)

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a feature, not a bug.
I donā€™t mind grading books that I dropped, assuming I read enough.

Also, thereā€™s a way to block books from appearing in gradings already apparently (in ā€œmy gradingsā€ there is an entry for ā€œblockedā€, but I never used it)

2 Likes

There indeed is, but it is hidden in the button on the right. (And that book is stopped at 10.8%.)

There is a much bigger tendency to click Skip, for comparisons, not for the book. If so then, I would have to click skip multiple times, as well as in the future.

Then, I have to View Gradings >> manually delete Skips / Blocked, when I feel ready to grade.

In case I skipped before, I would need to delete multiple Skips manually.

The single Blocked canā€™t be deleted from the bookā€™s page. The manual grading button also completely disappeared.

And then, right now Iā€™ve found one more bug (?)

Blocking a book from grading also send that one extra comparison to Skipped.

Yes, the design could use some work to make the option more apparent. I understand your point now. I only add books to ā€œstoppedā€ if I donā€™t plan to read them any further. Otherwise, I put them as ā€œreadingā€ (which doesnā€™t trigger the grading).

Technically, removing the block isnā€™t much work, but it is somewhat hard to find, indeed.

That does sound like a bug, indeed.

4 Likes

So yes, this isnā€™t a bug, itā€™s working as intended. TBF Iā€™m not really convinced blocking or skipping a book is all that difficult, but I understand what you mean about it being a little hidden.

I could perhaps change the philosophy of allowing books to be graded that are stopped. Iā€™m not sure. Iā€™ll probably leave it for now, but letā€™s approve it as speculative @Megumin. Iā€™ll also leave this poll to see how others feel.

Should we allow ā€˜Stoppedā€™ books to be graded?
  • Yes, I think itā€™s great.
  • Yes, but I donā€™t feel strongly about it.
  • I donā€™t care
  • No, but I donā€™t feel strongly about i.
  • No, Iā€™m strongly against it

0 voters

2 Likes

I think it makes sense to allow grading on stopped books if a certain percentage of them is read. For example, anything over 25-35% or 50 pages or so can be graded, but anything under that may be too soon to judge. It does depend on the individual book though, and I think itā€™s okay to just skip them individually, unless one has a huge amount of stopped books.

8 Likes

I think this would be the best approach.

Require a minimum % before allowing you to grade it.

5 Likes

About my vote for ā€œYes I think itā€™s greatā€: Yes, there are some stopped books I didnā€™t read enough to grade. But thereā€™s also some stopped books where I dropped it because I didnā€™t like it but definitely read enough where I can grade. I wouldnā€™t want to finish these books just to grade them.

I donā€™t mind skipping individually, especially since thereā€™s the ā€œblock future gradingā€ option, but I think the minimum percentage idea is a great idea!

4 Likes

I like the idea of requiring a minimum % before being allowed to grade although Iā€™d lean closer to having the min % be around 50%.

From a grading standpoint, the more the better, but I wonder how often people quit a book after having already read half. That said, maybe we could be allowed to grade all books after 50% instead of waiting to finish them. 50% should be plenty to form an opinion.

4 Likes

I graded a book I read a little over a third of and that was over 100 pages. I feel like I had a solid grasp of the difficulty at that point (it was a bog standard forgettable novel). 50% feels too high a standard to me.

4 Likes

Except for those of us to donā€™t track percent/page progress. :wink:

5 Likes

I agree with a percentage, but Iā€™d lean toward maybe 25%. 50% seems too high. If somebody is noping out of a book before the halfway point because itā€™s more difficult than expected, I think itā€™s important for them to be able to give feedback on that.

8 Likes

Itā€™s difficult to say about percentage, but an opt-in for grading, and only after that, making it a part of other booksā€™ grading, might be nice.

Should optional stopped booksā€™ grading be opt-in or opt-out?
  • Opt-in
  • Opt-out

0 voters

That being said, there is no reason to wait for the book to be stopped to allow grading, IMO.

This is even more important for currently airing shows. For a normal 12-24 episode season it doesnā€™t really make sense to block grading for 3-6 months. Probably after 3-4 episodes have been watched is fine in most cases.

3 Likes

Can there be an option to block grading on stopped items? I donā€™t like grading items until Iā€™m finished with them, and I generally treat my stopped list like an on hold/paused list, so I donā€™t want to grade the items included on it.

Currently I have block & skip any items I put on my stopped list - I donā€™t want to lose info by putting things back into owned, but having to block grading when things are moved to stopped is a bit annoying.

Alternatively, on hold/paused could be added as a main list which doesnā€™t ask for gradings.

4 Likes

I second a paused list. Sometimes Iā€™m not in the mood for a particular book that I intend to come back to, or I get more excited for another book and read a whole second book while Iā€™m ā€œreadingā€ the other book. On the one hand Iā€™ve ā€œstoppedā€ reading the first book, but I do intend to come back to it.

Although across 3 languages Iā€™m ā€œreadingā€ at least 25 books and I expect to finish about 50% of those, so I might have a bit of a problem. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes