Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

This is how I see it: If it includes the full text but with annotations/explanations/footnote, it’s still fiction. If it’s a companion book with explanations, etc. not including the original text (or at least the original text is only a small portion), it’s non-fiction.

1 Like

Yes, I agree that there are some complications. We will begin to address those when we get to tagging… categories as they are now can’t really address them.

Agreed though, that manga you expressed feedback is really both nonfiction and manga!

2 Likes

The book おおかみこどもの雨と雪 has two 1 star ratings of people who do not appear in the list of readers, so may not even have read the book. How is that even possible?

1 Like

You can hide your activity, so it doesn’t mean they haven’t read it. Checking their profiles shows that they both marked it as Finished.

4 Likes

I think it could be cool if the global/trending feed showed what level items are at, meaning I don’t have to click through to see if something is in or around my level range.

7 Likes

You might want to vote on this: Display level of books in live search results

I also really want this feature

edit: oh wait, wrong thread. searching for the right one!

Aha! Display level of book next to title in the global feed

5 Likes

oh, both are great ideas!

2 Likes

Thanks @cat for pointing to that ticket! I added ‘activity’ to the title as I also was struggling to find it :slight_smile:

Yeah, these are easy wins… should really do them!

2 Likes

Apologies for the brief outages this morning, had to upgrade some infrastructure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Test: https://learnnatively.com/book/1f0db9bf3f/

Looks like pasting a link and having it convert to book title + level is broken again brandon.

1 Like

Something doesn’t look right with this sort by title ascending. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Also @brandon, did you ever figure out why video titles were getting imported as both the Japanese and English titles together? Like “中二病でも恋がしたい! Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!” instead of just “中二病でも恋がしたい!”.

And why are the episode titles imported in English? This is weirdly inconsistent…

1 Like

I’m experiencing a bug when updating the percentage of a book read from the dashboard. When I click ‘add time spent’, the first percentage field is filled with the previous number of pages read rather than the previous percentage read:
percentage bug
(Side note, but it would be nice if the hours field defaulted to 0 if only minutes are entered.)

3 Likes

Should be fixed! Nice catch.

The reason I don’t is so that I can showcase the ‘hrs’ and ‘mins’ labels inside the box. Certainly could redesign it, but that’s why i don’t prefill currently :slight_smile:

So, it looks like this was a change with discourse, as even on meta.discourse.org it doesn’t render the title (my comment). We’ll see what they come back with.

will check this out

So, my logic was pretty dumb. Basically, I include the season title if it’s different than the series title. The reason these are showcasing both is because TMDB for some reason only put the english title for these seasons, no idea why. I can fix though, just need to not show if the season title matches the english series title as well.

As for the english episode titles… yeah TMDB just only has those by default unfortunately. I can do an extra api call for each tv episode and look for a japanese ‘translation’, but probably won’t right now. Might be worthwhile product request… along with the translations for english movies that sometimes stay english. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do you plan to fix it retroactively or do you still want “something’s not right” submissions for all the current issues?

1 Like

It will retroactively fix, so no submissions needed. I’ll try to get to it tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! Seems to be working as intended now :slight_smile:

Would it be possible to not prefill it but allow the form submission to go through anyway even if it’s not filled out? (I manage to forget to fill it in pretty much every time because that’s how I’m used to time trackers working elsewhere, so while it’s not a big issue, it’s a bit annoying.)

5 Likes

Done. I now allow you to leave either mins or hrs blank and it assumes zero… but obviously doesn’t allow both to be blank at the same time. Great thought :slight_smile:

These are now somewhat fixed, see 中二病でも恋がしたい! | L25. You will note that part of the english season title that is not duplicative is still shown… such as ‘Heart Throb’ for season 2: 中二病でも恋がしたい! Heart Throb | L25.

Ultimately as I said before, we need to hit their ‘translations’ API endpoint to move titles to Japanese for episodes and items originally in English, but this will fix the obviously broken ones :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks! It looks like there’s some bad caching on the list page though.

Also, season numbers/subtitles aren’t appearing in the alternate title.

Not to mention, where did the backtick for the apostrophe in A’s come from? :joy: TMDB shows it correctly. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ok, I think I’ve fixed the caching and the alternate titles issues, thanks for all these catches haha :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I know what you mean. Isn’t is shown the same here? Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's (2005) — The Movie Database (TMDB)