Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

Religious texts usually get categorized in a separate religion & spirituality section, not under nonfiction. I think those would be okay to leave under ‘other’.

One other thing I see that seems a bit hard to categorize is 遺書. I guess it’s technically nonfiction, but an author’s suicide note is not what people would usually expect to find in that category; both Amazon and Kobo have it listed as 文学. So maybe it should stay there as well.

1 Like

Plays are the first thing to come to mind that would be “other” but not “nonfiction”. Poetry as well.

4 Likes

@brandon 本の虫’s two statuses here have been stuck at the top of my activity feed all day:

Has anyone else been seeing this?

1 Like

I’m seeing it. I guess someone time traveled again.

3 Likes

@brandon we discussed this in email, but I agree that the grand majority of Other can be moved to Nonfiction. It’d probably be easier to move things back to Other than going one by one through all of Other to see what’s nonfic.
That said, here’s a few I noted as belonging still to Other:

2 Likes

should also remain in Other if you’re going to wholesale move them.

2 Likes

Ok. I’ve moved everything in Other to nonfiction except those books you both noted (and the bible).

If there are any other books that should be placed back into ‘Other’, just submit via the feedback button :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Non fiction tag! :partying_face: Thanks for adding it!

I noticed that filtering for non fiction in my books doesn’t bring back any results, although the books themselves have the new genre tag. Filtering for others still brings them back.
(Filtering in browsing works fine)

To better understand where things go: should books like https://learnnatively.com/book/2ea138689a/ about the Japanese language or other knowledge fields or self help books also go into non fiction? Reflections on Buddhist teaching feel similar.

And how about travel logs/ books introducing various locations like https://learnnatively.com/book/56ccacd7e1/ ? It’s not fiction, but is it nonfiction?

And then there’s this series (among others, probably) that goes and makes old texts (mostly fiction) accessible to the modern reader by explaining old words and grammar and the circumstances of the time. https://learnnatively.com/book/8de65370d3/
It’s basically non fiction about fiction. :sweat_smile: Same with https://learnnatively.com/book/8253d18814/

Do these all go into nonfiction?

4 Likes

Well, I’m no expert here, so i’d love others to give some feedback too! My initial take is:

group 1 (self help) - non fiction
group 2 (travel) - non fiction… but not very sure. Can be swayed.
group 3 (text helpers) - I don’t know.

3 Likes

Since it came up in one of my “move category” requests: If something is both a manga and non-fiction, where shall we put it? Would be nice if things could have multiple categories. Something can be for children, but also non-fiction. The issue is that the book type mixes things. Genre, age-range, contents… :thinking: If multiple categories are implemented, exlcuding them during search would be nice too. e.g. I want to see all non-ficiton books but excluding those aimed at children. :melting_face: Seems the more you look into categories/tags the more complicated it gets. :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

This is how I see it: If it includes the full text but with annotations/explanations/footnote, it’s still fiction. If it’s a companion book with explanations, etc. not including the original text (or at least the original text is only a small portion), it’s non-fiction.

1 Like

Yes, I agree that there are some complications. We will begin to address those when we get to tagging… categories as they are now can’t really address them.

Agreed though, that manga you expressed feedback is really both nonfiction and manga!

2 Likes

The book おおかみこどもの雨と雪 has two 1 star ratings of people who do not appear in the list of readers, so may not even have read the book. How is that even possible?

1 Like

You can hide your activity, so it doesn’t mean they haven’t read it. Checking their profiles shows that they both marked it as Finished.

4 Likes

I think it could be cool if the global/trending feed showed what level items are at, meaning I don’t have to click through to see if something is in or around my level range.

7 Likes

You might want to vote on this: Display level of books in live search results

I also really want this feature

edit: oh wait, wrong thread. searching for the right one!

Aha! Display level of book next to title in the global feed

5 Likes

oh, both are great ideas!

2 Likes

Thanks @cat for pointing to that ticket! I added ‘activity’ to the title as I also was struggling to find it :slight_smile:

Yeah, these are easy wins… should really do them!

2 Likes

Apologies for the brief outages this morning, had to upgrade some infrastructure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Test: https://learnnatively.com/book/1f0db9bf3f/

Looks like pasting a link and having it convert to book title + level is broken again brandon.

1 Like