Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

Something doesn’t look right with this sort by title ascending. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Also @brandon, did you ever figure out why video titles were getting imported as both the Japanese and English titles together? Like “中二病でも恋がしたい! Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!” instead of just “中二病でも恋がしたい!”.

And why are the episode titles imported in English? This is weirdly inconsistent…

1 Like

I’m experiencing a bug when updating the percentage of a book read from the dashboard. When I click ‘add time spent’, the first percentage field is filled with the previous number of pages read rather than the previous percentage read:
percentage bug
(Side note, but it would be nice if the hours field defaulted to 0 if only minutes are entered.)

3 Likes

Should be fixed! Nice catch.

The reason I don’t is so that I can showcase the ‘hrs’ and ‘mins’ labels inside the box. Certainly could redesign it, but that’s why i don’t prefill currently :slight_smile:

So, it looks like this was a change with discourse, as even on meta.discourse.org it doesn’t render the title (my comment). We’ll see what they come back with.

will check this out

So, my logic was pretty dumb. Basically, I include the season title if it’s different than the series title. The reason these are showcasing both is because TMDB for some reason only put the english title for these seasons, no idea why. I can fix though, just need to not show if the season title matches the english series title as well.

As for the english episode titles… yeah TMDB just only has those by default unfortunately. I can do an extra api call for each tv episode and look for a japanese ‘translation’, but probably won’t right now. Might be worthwhile product request… along with the translations for english movies that sometimes stay english. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do you plan to fix it retroactively or do you still want “something’s not right” submissions for all the current issues?

1 Like

It will retroactively fix, so no submissions needed. I’ll try to get to it tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! Seems to be working as intended now :slight_smile:

Would it be possible to not prefill it but allow the form submission to go through anyway even if it’s not filled out? (I manage to forget to fill it in pretty much every time because that’s how I’m used to time trackers working elsewhere, so while it’s not a big issue, it’s a bit annoying.)

5 Likes

Done. I now allow you to leave either mins or hrs blank and it assumes zero… but obviously doesn’t allow both to be blank at the same time. Great thought :slight_smile:

These are now somewhat fixed, see 中二病でも恋がしたい! | L25. You will note that part of the english season title that is not duplicative is still shown… such as ‘Heart Throb’ for season 2: 中二病でも恋がしたい! Heart Throb | L25.

Ultimately as I said before, we need to hit their ‘translations’ API endpoint to move titles to Japanese for episodes and items originally in English, but this will fix the obviously broken ones :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks! It looks like there’s some bad caching on the list page though.

Also, season numbers/subtitles aren’t appearing in the alternate title.

Not to mention, where did the backtick for the apostrophe in A’s come from? :joy: TMDB shows it correctly. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ok, I think I’ve fixed the caching and the alternate titles issues, thanks for all these catches haha :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I know what you mean. Isn’t is shown the same here? Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's (2005) — The Movie Database (TMDB)

It is, and I see they are weirdly using the backtick as well - for the English version. I set the site to the Japanese version since I assumed all the data would come from there which is why I didn’t notice the backtick earlier. But I guess you did say the season titles were still coming from the English version. Will this change in the future as well? Maybe along with moving the episode titles to Japanese? Not a big deal obviously, so just asking.

1 Like

Ah, I see! I guess I didn’t even realize that was an option. As I said before, they do have a separate translation endpoint for… basically everything, I just haven’t really incorporated it. So episode titles & descriptions, season titles & descriptions, series titles & descriptions could pull in the japanese versions too.

This will be pretty critical for english originals across multiple languages (Japanese, Korean) on the site, so it will happen, just not sure right now. As you say, not critical :slight_smile:

1 Like

I marked episode 7 of Oshi no Ko as watched, but this didn’t generate anything for the activity feed and the dashboard still says 6/7 watched. Is there supposed to be a delay or is this a bug?

EDIT: It apparently did show up in my activity feed, but 23 hours ago??? I definitely set the date to today so that’s weird!

EDIT 2: I don’t have any activity for the episodes on the anime’s page either. Am I just using this feature wrong or something? I’m just marking the episodes as finished from the episode list on the show page.

2 Likes

Small Product Update

You will now notice that the ‘update progress’ popup is now integrated with the ‘additional options’ popup and that you can toggle between them. Hopefully this is intuitive, but let me know if you have issues.

I still continue to be a little perplexed on the best UI for the ‘update progress’ form and I did end up tweaking a few things. I will probably tweak the ‘tv progress’ updater even more soon.

@seanblue thanks for those notes, will try to take a look soon.

1 Like

Some of the update boxes on the site set the time updated to be 00:00:00 for some reason, hence some of the updates showing up hours and hours before you would expect.

Well that’s weird!

1 Like

@brandon Can you change the video provider dropdown on the anime page to match the one on the search page? That one is significantly easier to read (actual country names instead of codes) and more convenient (since you can type a letter to jump to the country you want). The scrolling on the current one is very tedious.

1 Like

So when’s Natively gonna go next level and add a paid streaming service that includes native subtitles? :joy:

1 Like

:joy: :joy: yeah i know. It’s SO frustrating to find a good show with no subtitles. I feel with Korean at least, if your location is in Korea, it’s much more likely to have native subtitles than outside of Korea.

I wish I had data on which shows have subtitles and which ones don’t.

2 Likes

It probably already was spoken about in the beginning of LearnNatively, but why is it necessary to log in again when I switch to the forum. Why this different user basis?

1 Like