Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

So the forums are entirely run with open-source software provided by https://www.discourse.org/, which uses its own separate database from the custom build website. Unfortunately, this does mean you have to click the login button again when you come to the forums which pings my website and checks if you’re logged in. So if you are logged in on the main site, it should log you into the forums without needing to fill out the form.

I’d love to sync it without you needing to click the login, but from my understanding this is the only way to do it. This is probably the most popular forum software, so you’ll see this functionality on other sites too (wanikani forums, bunpro… many others).

5 Likes

Maybe it’s a naive question, but if I press “forums” in LearnNatively, wouldn’t it be possible to not just change the website but also do automatically what happens when I press the LogIn button in the forum. Why do I have to do that explicitly?

1 Like

So, you’re absolutely right. However, it’s just not an option in the package.

For this discourse forum software, I simply set up the server, download the code and start it up. I haven’t looked at the code or know anything about tweaking the code (tweaking is problematic as then updates may cause issues).

If you’re asking if I could somehow have the forum link on the main site trigger me sending your ‘logged in’ status to discourse, the only possible way would be clunky. Essentially, i’d have to have the link go to the discourse login and try to log you in and then redirect you to where you actually wanted to go.

Perhaps that makes sense, but it could also potentially be clunky, i’m not sure.

3 Likes

If you are logged into natively, why not switch the Forums link to the login link?

If you are already logged in the forums I assume it will throw you into the index without complaining you trying to log-in while already logged-in, but it needs testing.

Also for the providers dropdown thing, do you think aside from the dropdown, you could type to filter options?

Something akin to this:

Then you could have the country codes, and also the country name on it, and then you could type in to filter

3 Likes

That sounds like a step down. You only have to click the Login button once to have it automatically log you in. If the link on Natively hits that URL it will probably have to do an extra redirect any time you click it. Considering most users will already be logged in that seems wasteful.

3 Likes

Multi-select would be nice too. I’d like to always have the US and Japan selected and nowhere else.

2 Likes

I’m new here on Natively and I just wanted to ask what the best way to start a book club of sorts for a certain title. Posting a thread in the forums?

Thanks,

1 Like

Hi Dexter!

Yes, if you want to start a book club, I would encourage you to post a thread on the forums, perhaps first seeing if others would want to join. The process generally follows the same processs as book clubs are run in the wanikani book clubs, however since we mostly only have one book club right now (mystery novel book club) we don’t have our own rigorous guidelines.

But yes, I think making a thread asking if anyone would like to join you in reading is the best bet. Or perhaps if you have a theme for the book club, you could get a few books proposed for that theme and then take a poll. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@brandon you added a whole bunch of books for me the other day (thank you~), I got the email that they had been added, and I can see the one I asked to be put into my library there. But when I search by recently added in the book search, none show up there, and when searching author for the book I can get to from my library (https://learnnatively.com/book/9abe2ede0c/), that book doesn’t show for that author.

1 Like

Good catch! There was a book with bad data stopping the process putting things into search (i was alerted to that issue :sweat_smile: ). Anyway, fixed now and that book shows up in search

1 Like

When you pull book data from Amazon, do you store the year it’s published even though it’s not displayed? I’d like to make a product request to display the year / sort by year since that’s something I’m really interested in, but I wouldn’t want to make that request if it means you’d have to backtrack and collect all that data for all these books :sweat:

4 Likes

I don’t store it in my database right now, but it wouldn’t be that much effort to populate it. I think there’s a product request for it, so i encourage you to upvote that.

Even though the amazon data is little spotty for it I think, I agree it would be nice. It’d make a lot of sense too once we add edition handling.

3 Likes

Being able to search via publisher would also be really nice, if we’re talking about scraping extra Amazon data.

3 Likes

Added a new Book Clubs - Natively Forums sub category per @Megumin’s suggestion. All threads marked ‘book-club’ were migrated over and it looks right. I’m not sure who has been managing that tag, but good job! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I guess speaking of which, do we still need to keep tagging threads with ‘book-club’ now that there’s a full subforum?

2 Likes

I think it might actually make sense to keep using the tag for actual bookclub threads, and leave the non-bookclub threads (like discussion about potential bookclubs) without?

4 Likes

Apologies on the 20 min outage… just released an update and forgot to do one step on the production servers. Of course ignored the alerts too :joy:

3 Likes
[09:20] Do you want to start the server? [Y/N]  _
[09:34] Hello, anyone there? [Y/N] _
[09:40] Are you aware that the server is still not on? [Y/N] _

GmFO

5 Likes

Just a note - I’ve spent today configuring a hidden way for me to start uploading and tracking Korean content / progress for my own personal use. You may see a few blips over the next few hours in search & library results as i will be tweaking search. Everything will be back to normal by tomorrow morning.

I’ve been more inspired on immersing in Korean content the past few weeks than working on the site - I’ve been dragging my feet on the final video features (fixing stats, finalizing grading). I’m hoping this will inspire me to quickly fix the stats… i’ve been really wanting to get back to using Natively myself! I’m super excited about it xD

This won’t be much of a detour. You won’t see any changes yet… Have to finish up video before moving onto publicly opening up Korean :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Oooh, very exciting. ^o^ I don’t blame you for wanting to use your own site, brandon; if you’re into media tracking, Natively is a very fun site to play around with. :3 If anyone asks, you’re doing alpha testing on the Korean features. :wink:

3 Likes