Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

I suspect that would result in a lot fewer books being submitted. Even small barriers can drastically reduce engagement.

Also that would be quite difficult for the Aozora short stories I submit. :sweat_smile: A 5 page story from 1920 often doesn’t have a summary available and I don’t like to say much in my reviews to avoid spoiling the fun.

7 Likes

And if it’s something like a 20 volume manga/LN series being submitted, it’s a gigantic barrier :fearful:

I like this idea as a placeholder, and you could have translations or the official English descriptions replace them if people had time to work on them/find them.

Well taking the one from Amazon, is basically the one that is provided by the publisher for store front publication… the thing is that’s in Japanese and you would need to run it through a translation API and potentially get it botched.

1 Like

i think this is a good idea. if the description’s not too long, i think it would be fine to put both the original japanese one and the mtl under that, until some good samaritan translates it properly/writes their own description

2 Likes

the issue with this rn is that reviews aren’t voted/upvoted or downvoted. So unless each person who reviews puts the summary in their review, they’ll eventually be buried once the site gets new users :sob: For now, I try to make sure that my reviews have the summary/description, but idk how that’ll work in the longrun.

1 Like

I don’t think a regular summary would be considered a spoiler :sweat_smile: If the short story is about cats dancing on the rooftop, you can say that without it being a spoiler. It’s just enough information for someone to decide if they want to read it instead of wasting their time.

Unfortunately, the same could be said for lack of summary or other things. If it feels like there is a lack of accessibility or features that other places boast, people will gravitate towards the other.

yeah, which is why i think that having the japanese description should be in the “about”, at least until an english description is made by someone, and the review thing would just be a bonus to get a better feel of the story

2 Likes

Lol, if I remember correctly, there was no indication that that kind of thing would be happening for the foreigners who were watching it when it first aired. Blindsided lmao. Even when I looked at the plot on wikipedia when it was being released, it definitely didn’t say that there was going to be any of that. Now if someone asks me about the series, I make sure to mention it :joy:

This is a great point. Until we can figure out a way to crowdsource the English summaries in a legal manner unless we go the same route of MU because scans groups will almost always definitely translate the summary because the readers of scanlations always wont read without a description, at least having an easily accessible version within the website is a plus. If somebody reads it and finds something in it that they believe is worth mentioning for a trigger warning, they could probably send a message so that it could be added to the description and add it in their review. I don’t mean like having to put a trigger warning on a murder mystery novel because it’s very clear that there is going to be murder in it, but for series were stuff happens and it’s not mentioned in the description because it’s not the plot cough looking at you, NGNL cough

1 Like

I also watched the anime and didn’t like it, the book series is much better imho.

Well, considering that the first volume (and a few others) are banned in Australia (for something that sounds similar), I assume the novel is just as problematic :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The novel is not that “problematic”, at least imho.

It was overly exaggerated, like most of the main media does. There’s plenty of “more problematic” novels that are just being published without problems.

1 Like

Certainly. I’d rather not read those either (and it’s nice if they have a trigger warning, too)

3 Likes

You know I have friends in Australia and they are always joking that everything is banned in Australia lol.

Speaking about trigger warnings I hope that everything containing cannibalism and gore is marked so I can stay away from it.

1 Like

That doesn’t negate the actual issue :sweat_smile: it’s just that this was one of the ones that was brought to the light. in all honesty, i find it amazing the fanfic writers and other online authors can find the time and effort to put trigger warnings and tag specific instances, but publishers seem to refuse to do so :roll_eyes: It’s not really a contest at which is worse with some things. It’s like saying (excuse this example because I cannot currently think of another one): that your child A’s parents constantly breaking her bones isn’t as bad as child B’s parents secretly starving her–both are wrong, it’s just that one was made evident. “You think you have it rough? Well this happened to me.” <it doesn’t matter, both were wrong and they’re two different instances that aren’t related to each other so no comparison is needed.

Ugh, I forgot about that! I have those tags blocked on so many websites that I forgot that they even existed. Thank you for reminding me! I’ll have to go look through my manga wishlist library and compare tags on MU to see if any of them are carrying that tag.

2 Likes

This is unrelated to the current conversation, but what is MU?

Also speaking of trigger warnings, some trigger warnings are also spoilers. Simply displaying all trigger warnings on a book’s page isn’t good for spoiler-averse people. Even blurring/hiding them isn’t enough because if you do have a trigger you’ll need to check each time regardless, showing all the (potential) spoilers anyway. For this reason, I would implement it as a user setting. Each user can specify triggers (or more generally tag filters) so that that type of content doesn’t appear for them anywhere on the site. If somehow they navigate to a book with that trigger/tag directly, it could show a big warning or something. I think this is the best world for everyone: individuals with specific triggers get the unwanted content filtered out automatically (no need to check) and spoiler-averse individuals don’t have to risk seeing spoilers.

8 Likes

I’m guessing MU is Manga Updates https://www.mangaupdates.com/

1 Like

mangaupdates

1 Like

Well, some published authors in English do now give content warnings (mostly indie publishers, but I have at least one book by a major publisher that has warnings for each section). That being said, I’ve seen some arguments over content warnings in fandom that devolved into being very nasty because people don’t agree on how or if to implement them :sweat: So it’s also not an easy thing to pick up and slap on an entire field even if they wanted to. And of course with Japanese authors there are cultural differences. Japanese fan spaces warn for different things.

Anyway, back to Natively - I like the ideas of folding warnings into tags (two requested features in one!), people being allowed to auto-filter out specified tags, and also letting users keep themselves from being spoiled. If they are implemented as a separate warning, I would prefer them to be called something like ‘content notes’, since triggers aren’t the only reason people might want a heads up about certain kinds of content.

9 Likes