Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

I still think the fluent is the best approach.

I don’t want to grade English items (if they ever come) but I don’t want to either miss-represent as being native.

2 Likes

Another question for you @brandon after noticing it on @bibliothecary’s profile: I see that we have “Chinese” and “Chinese (Traditional)”; shouldn’t the non-traditional language be marked as “Chinese (Simplified)”?

1 Like

I was following lingq. TBH I expect mandarin is much more common to learn, so makes sense to do it this way

1 Like

They’re both Mandarin… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh… I thought Taiwanese was called taiwanese? :sweat_smile:

Taiwanese Mandarin :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m just noticing, the number of Spanish users has almost doubled!? Last time I checked, it was at around 45, same as German.

2 Likes

How do you check the number of users?

1 Like

Yeah I posted on r/dreamingspanish to much fanfare. We’ll see how many actually stick :joy:

3 Likes

If you go on someone’s forum profile, yours or someone else’s, you can see the groups they’re a part of. I usually go with Brandon’s profile since he’s part of all languages.

8 Likes

To be clear these are only people that come to the forums. However, due to a bug that I had to fix around discourse login, I had to register all new users in the last 24 hours,

Regardless though, yes, Spanish users have doubled in size :face_holding_back_tears:

10 Likes

There’s Taiwanese Mandarin, and also Taiwanese Hokkien (which is usually just called Taiwanese). So that might be where some of the confusion is coming from.

Chinese (Traditional) refers to Mandarin with traditional hanzi (e.g., Taiwanese Mandarin). So like bibliothecary said, they’re both Mandarin. Even though most people studying Mandarin learn simplified characters, I’d still add (Simplified) to Chinese

(well imo you should change it to Mandarin (Simplified)/Mandarin (Traditional), but a lot of people just call it Chinese so I understand if you keep it that way)

10 Likes

Yeah, I’m not terribly opinionated on this, was just copying what Lingq does.

TBF, I’m still not entirely sure how we handle the Chinese languages as the written seems the same, but the speaking is different to the point of unintelligibility. Similar problem to Arabic I think.

I think leaving it as ‘Chinese’ actually keeps it inclusive, which is why I think it may be good to leave it?

Once we support those languages, we’ll have to figure that all out. Not terribly important right now, but if anyone have strong opinions, will definitely consider.

Now that I say this, I realize I have cantonese as separate… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Esperanto has native speakers? :flushed: TIL

4 Likes

BTW: On my profile’s page the list of “favorite Movies & TV Shows” is sorted to show the most recently added one at the back of the list, while the list of “recently read” books etc. is sorted contrary showing the most recently read etc. in front.

I would prefer to have all profile’s lists show the recently added members in front.

1 Like

Hmm, I think I actually disagree for favorites. Since you can set the order of the favorites, I think putting it in the front is not ideal.

Although if you’re not setting the order, I can understand that perspective. :thinking:

1 Like

How can I set that order?

1 Like

Go to your profile overview and there’s an edit button on the favorites row :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a hard way to change the order if you have more than, say, three. And my favorites will become more and more with time…

1 Like

You’re more than welcome to log a product request, but tbh I do think it’s relatively usable up to 20 items or so

1 Like