Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

You need to change/add the functionality to discourse source, makes the URLs probably extremely long, and being a romanization it probably hurts SEO.

Also it would need to distinguish between different languages.

1 Like

You meant to reply to DIO-Berry, I think?

4 Likes

Ah yes, lately I’m spacing out too much, I’m starting to worry :fearful:

3 Likes

This only matters when clicking the Share button, which doesn’t show the URL in text, but immediately copy to clipboard.

It might be better if the URL in the address bar is the unicode one, since it will be normalized to Japanese / Korean, etc, anyway. While when copying (click Share), being replaced by /x/ might be the best. Shorter is better.

Probably, as a copied text, https://community.wanikani.com/t/x/19926/1040 is the best.

(Note that emoji is being clipped away, but that probably doesn’t really matter.)

2 Likes

Q: For readers, is it useful to know if series are ongoing (new volumes are expected to be released in the future) or completed (no new volumes, at least in this specific series, are expected to be released)?

8 Likes

Absolutely - I have definitely wanted that info in the past. Also useful for book club nominating purposes

8 Likes

It’s not particularly important to me, personally, since that isn’t usually a factor in me picking books. It’s a popular ask though, I know; I’ve been keeping track of that status for the LN club nominations, though it’s hard to say what percentage of users gets use out of it.

4 Likes

It’s definitely useful. I believe I brought it up before and the problem raised was that it would have to be managed entirely manually. That said, for manga and LNs this information is already on AniList, so it’s not the end of the world to have to check there.

5 Likes

Yes, if I commit to a series, I hate finding out it’s incomplete or on hiatus. I don’t like suspense, so usually I choose to read completed works.

Although with Japanese, I have a feeling some series will be complete before I can get around to finishing them.

8 Likes

I agree but for the opposite reason. I don’t want to start a series with 45 books and is ongoing. There’s no universe I’ll ever get to the end of that :joy::joy:

7 Likes

@brandon , I’m having some trouble adding new Korean books. It takes forever to load, then crashes and I have to try it again, and now it’s completely stuck with an unknown error.

1 Like

I clicked on volume #13 of 葬送のフリーレン | L26 and got the message:

Application error: a client-side exception has occurred (see the browser console for more information).

Safari on iPad.

1 Like

Y’all behold the number 1 bestseller in children’s literature on Amazon JP. 悪行貴族のはずれ息子1 魔法講師編: ~無能扱いされた分家の長男だけど、努力してたら本家を超えてたので忌み子呼ばわりされて追放されかけてた本家の悪役令嬢を助けたら、本家から持ち上げられ過ぎて困ってるんですが?~.
Sweet baby Jesus. This is probably the worst title I’ve ever seen.

11 Likes

I try to research this beforehand. In fact I have a few series I have it as owned or in wish-list with a self-note that it’s on hiatus. In case it ever gets resumed.

Like 甘城ブリリアントパーク 1 | L30?? or この勇者が俺TUEEEくせに慎重すぎる | L26

Sadly sometimes is hard to research this without getting spoiled.

5 Likes

Could you give me an example? :slight_smile:

Think its ok now?

Apologies on the brief 404 errors about 10 hours ago.

1 Like

Still the same problem.

1 Like

whoops! Yeah I was able to recreate the problem. The issue was that there was no image.

Well, i’ve made it more resilient now so the page doesn’t error out… although the image placeholder is non-existent still.

3 Likes

Thanks…but Amazon has a normal image.

Are Amazon fliptoon style manga handled right now? For example, https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0C288FGVP/ has 200 “episodes”, but putting that as a single volume or 200 separate volumes would both be terrible. It’s really more like 200 chapters that happen to not have a predetermined volume split.

2 Likes

I feel like handling them more like an ongoing TV show than a book or manga would probably make more sense…

1 Like