Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

OK I THINK WE’RE GOOD.

An update on the database instance type fixed the issues it seems. Why? Well, who knows. My machine wasn’t marked out of date but it was an older server from amazon no longer offered. However, sometimes when you get strange amazon connection slowdowns, that is one possible solution sometimes works. I probably should’ve done it sooner.

I’m very sorry for the outage. As I said before, I may need to rethink how I handle these things.

Thank you for all your patience!

11 Likes

I just hope you have a ton of redundancy and backups for the data itself. :slight_smile: I think for most users, an outage is a minor inconvenience for a site like Natively. But data loss could be catastrophic.

3 Likes

Of course :slight_smile: . Granted, if any site lost their database… well that’s legitimately game over.

Don’t worry we have lots of backups and are constantly making new ones. Amazon is very good about data loss since it’s so critical.

8 Likes

Don’t beat yourself too much about it. You are providing this service for free.

We are all (at least partially) freeloaders, although I hope you got some money from my AmzJP purchases. I always try to follow links from here first.

8 Likes

Not sure whether it’s the right place to ask, and I’m sure it’s been asked before but I can’t seem to find it. Does “short story” mean one short story, or does it also include collections of short stories? I’ve been adding collections of short stories or novellas as novels, because “short story” seems like only one story to me, like for example 人間椅子. But I’ve seen collections marked as “short story” too, so maybe I’ve been doing it wrong?

Hmm I just noticed I’m not consistent with that, but it would make sense to me to put the collections in “short story” as well…

1 Like

I have been trying to mark short story collections as ‘Short Story’. However, I think the stories should be relatively independent of each other, so they are consumable as small bites.

It’s not the end of the world if something is marked as a novel when it should be a short story… but let me know if you want to change any books to short story! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In that case, this definitely is a collection of independent short stories (with a common theme):

And these are collections of novellas (too long to be considered short stories, too short for novels, and mostly independent from each other, 2-3 per book):

I wouldn’t call collections of novellas “short story”, but they’re not entirely novels either. And I still feel like “short story” means a single story. I wonder if a different category called “collection” might be clearer?

2 Likes

I think that’s kind of confusing… if I was to search for a short story on Natively, my goal would probably be to find something quick to read. A collection of short stories would likely take as long or longer to read than a novel, so not a quick read.

Personally, I’d list short story collections as novels, and once the tag system is implemented add a “short story collection” tag.

7 Likes

So when it comes to novellas (50/60+ pgs) i’ve been keeping those in novels.

Thanks for that info though… I’ve marked 山の霊異記 幻惑の尾根 | L30?? as short story. Btw, should the volumes in that series be graded independently? Or is keeping them locked together ok?

1 Like

Thanks! I think it’s fine keeping them grouped. They’re all loosely connected short stories, linked by the fact that they supposedly happened to the writer or some acquaintance of his on the mountains, and they’re all somewhat creepy. I wouldn’t expect major difficulty changes between volumes. I only read half a book so far, though, so if my impresssions change later on I’ll be sure to let you know.

1 Like

Here are the one I incorrectly put as “novels” then:

https://learnnatively.com/book/dc413710f3/

(There was literally 短編 in the title, :joy:)

4 Likes

Thanks! Updated those books to short story :slight_smile:

1 Like

Server is dying

Edit: seems to be back.

2 Likes

What do you do when a review gives inaccurate information? This review says “has furigana” even though the manga has little to no furigana.

3 Likes

He has not used the forums so all it’s left is maybe @brandon can either reach him or edit that snippet out of the review?

1 Like

Thanks for the note! I checked the bookmeter preview and yes it also didn’t have furigana. I’ve emailed the user in question for further confirmation and added a brief admin comment on her review.

Perhaps they did read a furigana edition and can provide a link :slight_smile:

In the future, you can just use the feedback widget on the book or use the forums like you did here.

2 Likes

I thought of that, but I’ve never heard of a Manga Time Kirara series having a furigana edition.

2 Likes

Looks like they fixed it. Now it looks kind of funny. :laughing:

4 Likes

If you squint your eyes hard enough, you can see the furigana :rofl:

2 Likes