Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

Thanks for noting all that @Jintor !

Yeah, I know about the percentage issue… it’s somewhat awkward anyway you do it (normally you don’t want input values changing on the user). The biggest solution would be just to allow you to mark if you’re using percentages or pages on a particular book. Then you wouldn’t have to be flipping back and forth so much!

Also, I know, the book page edit popup needs a way to be able to flip to the progress updater, agreed. So you can mark time. As for your book contributions, you’re right I have the data, just need to surface! Perhaps you can open a request for that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:eyes:

Still on target? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The pressure is on.

3 Likes

i’m feeling the heat :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

We will see if it drops today or tomorrow.

4 Likes

Thanks - better to open seperate requests for each issue (new thread for each)?

1 Like

That sounds right to me! :slight_smile:

FWIW, i’m feverishly trying to get it done EOD :joy:

And while I am feeling the heat, it’s mostly myself wanting to get this out!

3 Likes

What timezone EOD? :rofl:

1 Like

Seoul Time, but it may end up being American time. So close :man_facepalming:

I definitely can’t leave this another weekend, I’m sick of it.

6 Likes

If you take the Samoa Islands Timezone, you have some 20 extra hours.

anime-mashiro

5 Likes

Take your time! I was just teasing anyway. Rushing leads to mistakes, and no one wants that.

4 Likes

Oh I know, I won’t push it if it’s not ready. :slight_smile:

But with these big projects they can linger at the end a bit… a little push can actually be helpful.

8 Likes

Still working, will try to release today or tomorrow, but may be Monday. So close :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I don’t suppose there’s any support for an author writing under different names on Natively, is there? Beyond having a note on each book page.

1 Like

hmm, we could list multiple authors? I’m not sure. What’s the example?

Also, still crossing my i’s and dotting my t’s for movies. Unfortunately i didn’t have much time to work on it last weekend. It’ll come within the next few days though, i’m sure :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The one that prompted the question is 富樫ゆいか - 松岡なつき. The former is, I believe, the latter’s pen name when they were first getting published.

By the way, how are you planning to handle initial / temporary ratings for shows/movies? It’s not like reading where you have different categories like manga and novels to help sort things out.

You mean what the estimated difficulty will be if you request an audiovisual item with the estimated level as blank?

Yes you’re right that we don’t have any categories currently to help us out, outside TV vs Movie. Right now i’m just defaulting to lvl 30 to see how it goes. All the items requested in the seeding database thread will be treated as non-temporary ratings to start off. I may also choose to have all new requests also be non-temporary, we’ll see. I just want as many comparisons as possible in the beginning and I don’t want someone with all temporary rated items in their library to not be able to grade.

For the first month or two it’ll be a bit of a bumpy ride wrt difficulty. I’m intending to do a full recalculation/reanalysis after a month to see where we stand.

Edit:
I also suspect that getting at least some better broad buckets for the items (Anime/Action/Romance… etc) may be pretty critical. TMDB, the database i’m using, does have a lot of genre tags I can use, just have to figure out the best way to use them. That may eventually impact the default rating.

7 Likes

Yeah. I always request something to be added before I’ve read it, so I always leave it blank since I have no way of knowing the difficulty ahead of time. It would be the same for watching.

That makes a lot of sense and is certainly better than nothing. I wonder how it would go since even things like sci-fi and fantasy range from really easy to really hard. Might end up with a complex hierarchy of which genres more accurately reflect the difficulty on average. :laughing:

I assume we’ll still be able to grade them to give more granular comparisons?

3 Likes

Of course :slight_smile:

Well, TMDB doesn’t have a complex hierarchy, it just has flat genre tags, but obviously things can be tagged to more than one genre tag. We could eventually build out some sort of hierarchy, but my gut is that more than a 2 or 3 level hierarchy gets too complicated to be practical. I’m inclined to a simple flat genre tagging system with a few genre tags.

I wouldn’t spend that much time constructing a complex hierarchy of genres explicitly for the default level estimate haha. So if some categories have a wide range, just set it at lvl 30 and let grading decide. It’s not that big of deal :slight_smile:

3 Likes