Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

That’s an odd typo right there, but I’m sure you meant to say Audiobook support :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

And here I want to add Korean, which basically no one else here wants :joy:

I don’t think i’ve noted this in this thread, but yeah for all you others looking for other media forms to be added, the current list would be, in no particular order:

• Audiobook support
  • Podcasts
  • VNs & Videogames
  • YouTube

All have their own pros & cons and none will probably be implemented very soon (outside maybe a limited audiobook feature). But that is the dream :pleading_face:

We have a long way to go though to enhance the current feature set for the current item types… and we’d discuss it a lot before any one of them happened.

5 Likes

林 麻里子 comes to mind :joy:

How about just always removing the spaces? Problem solved…

5 Likes

Well, I’m mostly focused here on how it’s stored. We really want it stored with spaces so that I can allow search on the individual names and / or switched around order.

As for display and determining if there are ‘various’ authors or not… yeah I could do that. I think it’s probably better though to just have an automated check raise a potential ‘various authors’ issue if it finds a series with a volume listing an author with spaces matching one without :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That’s twice the cost, but you can just concatenate them back in both orders when searching for matches.
I don’t think there would be a case of two authors having the exact same name with just first name and family name swapped around, so the result should be unique (or at worst give a list of people with the same name… but I don’t know if you are handling that)

2 Likes

Right, but I can only swap or do anything smart if I know the individual first name & last name, which is why I always store in the DB with a space.

I already do the things you’re describing when you go to search, as for almost all authors I do have it stored with a space.

If I never know how to break up the 4 char or 3 char name, then I can’t do all the fancy things :slight_smile:

Edit: And yeah, I just do a text search for author names. If two authors have the same name then you get both of their results. My search isn’t that great yet… lots to improve! (And Japanese search is way harder than most!)

2 Likes

Don’t worry; once you get Korean out the door you’ll have two separate groups of people demanding features. :+1:

8 Likes

I mean, there is a database of names that people often use along with the standard JMDict J-E dictionary, but I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle. Also, for authors with weird/made up names it wouldn’t really help.

I think you’re better off trying to find authors that are inconsistent (simply via removing spaces and looking for matches) and then normalize to the version with spaces.

2 Likes

To be frank, I think most (like 90+%) of the feature requests aren’t really language specific. So hopefully you all are clamoring for the same things, but we’ll see :laughing:

2 Likes

So hopefully you all are clamoring for the same things

You are clearly referring to user voted content tags :+1: :grin:

4 Likes

Haha. i’ll actually do that and favorites even before Korean. The want is too strong :joy: :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I want it! And my friend will also become a new user when it happens! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I tried searching again and found two of the four titles and added them to natively. Two I still couldn’t find Black Movie and Black Angel 3.

Of course audio books should also be added. Sorry I never listened or bought any audio books and forgot they even exist. :rofl:

3 Likes

I guess I don’t understand what you mean. :sweat_smile: I just meant that if you don’t use spaces, you don’t need to do anything smart.
If someone inputs a name in the search, then you just concatenate (and possibly swap for good measure)

Anyway, it doesn’t really matter :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I would be very happy if you added Korean actually :sweat_smile: I just started it learning again and could really use Natively for Korean books/TV, haha

2 Likes

You’ll have to change your username then. :wink:

5 Likes

True :joy: I might have to get more creative

2 Likes

So, uh… could you add a “Do you really want to delete this review?” confirmation popup? I just clicked “Delete” instead of “Cancel” on my ルリドラゴン 1 | L18 review :frowning:

(And do you maybe have backups, or is it a soft delete…?)

3 Likes

I would also say that having the delete button in the edit popup is not a good idea to begin with.

oh no! Unfortunately it is a hard delete, but I have a backup from 6 hours ago… did you write it over 6 hours ago?

Yeah I definitely should have a confirm popup there, i’ll mark it down :sweat_smile:

I’m happy to hear alternatives, but I think that’s the only place. I don’t think it’d be better next to the pencil. Do you think it’d be better only on your profile reviews?

1 Like