Review of New SRS Expansion for Kanji Study App

If you’re familiar with the Japanese Kanji Study app for android, then you might have heard about the new spaced repetition expansion that was just added.

If you have never heard of it, Japanese Kanji Study is an Andorid app that’s great for kanji because it allows you study in whatever way you want. You can study kanji meaning, readings, writing, vocab, and lets you test yourself on these in a wide variety of ways.

The creator added an SRS expansion the other week and i just wanted to share how good it is!!! It’s a paid for addition but it’s seriously worth it if you’re looking for a new kanji study tool or already use the app.

I wrote a more detailed review here:

4 Likes

I used to use this app on my old android phone. It was a great little tool, jam packed with options to tailor it to how you want to study. Great to see it’s still getting support.

2 Likes

I just read the long-form review on your (wonderful!) website and I completely agree! Highly recommend – I used this app on and off over the years, and I liked it a lot but could never seem to stick to it long-term. The SRS expansion is a complete game-changer and has been a huge improvement for me!

For the last few months I’ve managed to seriously and systematically study kanji effectively by linking it to the Kodansha Kanji Course option. Everyday I’ve been learning 10 new kanji by reading the entries in the book – and the app itself takes care of the rest!

I’ve only been doing “freehand” writing for all the reviews so that I can develop the correct muscle memory to write kanji by hand and take advantage of the fact that the book tends to group similar looking kanji together (so it’s easier to distinguish between them in the wild). After all these years I feel like I’ve finally found the perfect workflow for kanji studying through these combined methods!

I only wish there was a way to review kanji compounds in a similar manner, but the app developer said he was only interested in keeping it a strictly singular kanji learning app. Despite that though, once I get through all the kanji in the book, I think I’ll be in a very good place to springboard to other methods without much hardship!

I hope other people give the SRS system in this app a shot! It’s buttery-smooth, easy to use and there are so many ways to customize it to personal preference! I would pay 5x as much for it and still feel like it was more than worth it!

2 Likes

Fwiw jpdb.io will teach you the compounds by default. So you could always write them by hand as you do reviews there, to similar the process you’ve got here

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s definitely a good option – I only started using jpdb recently and it’s become a great addition to my studies. It’s just that I really like the writing UI on this app and wish I could do slightly more complicated things with it too!

2 Likes