Spanish Beta - Feedback from Spanish Users & CEFR Update!

Man, of the few translated manga/LNs I’ve found on Amazon.es, none of them are grouped as a series. >:( Dang it Amazon, I don’t have all day to make lists for you.

Or for some reason only some of the volumes are grouped in a series (which sometimes don’t even include volume 1 :\ ).

1 Like

Yeah, I also tend to ignore it :sweat_smile:. I have more trouble with Castilian Spanish when listening, though I’ve improved in that regard. But I’ll also get tripped up occasionally by different Latin American accents, too, despite learning Latin American Spanish in school. My teachers were all Mexican, so I do better with Mexican accents. I struggled initially with the Argentinian accent, for example (and my first time encountering “vos” in a novel, I totally got tripped up for a bit, haha).

Because of that, I personally don’t feel like it’s worth doing entire separate categories for Castilian and Latin American Spanish. Tags should be fine (though admittedly I’m not sure I’ll bother to tag that with the books I read, since I often don’t even think about it). But I dunno, maybe I’m more advanced than the average user, or I’m more willing to just throw myself into the deep end with a new Spanish dialect and learn the hard way :sweat_smile:.

Even in English, there is technically a British English and an American English version of Harry Potter, for example. As a kid, I always found that silly, haha, and wanted to read the British version.

I can usually tell when listening, but with reading, my main strategy is to look for vosotros :joy_cat:.

There’s some slang and vocab variants that are different, too, but I confess, that part all sort of blurs together for me. And you’ll get that also among different countries in Latin America as well, so it’s sort of inescapable. For example, I know a Puerto Rican dentist who got into some trouble in the city I live in, which has a high population of Mexican immigrants, because she was using a verb that had a dirty connotation in Mexico but not in Puerto Rico, and she didn’t realize she was accidentally saying something that came across as very inappropriate to her Mexican patients… :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I’d say this is more the fault of the publishers not giving a fuck and throwing it to the marketplace without any care.

2 Likes

@brandon, is the category color for the Spanish forums the same red as the Japanese category’s red? It looks like it on my screen.

Also, I’m seeing a muted and an un-muted Spanish categories in my forum view:

1 Like

They are the color of the flags. I know they’re similar but we have an overabundance of red in flags here…

Yeah it’s borked presently.

3 Likes

German could be changed to black :de: and then Spanish to yellow :es: to remove the confusion. Although as more languages get added, it is bound to become impossible to have separate colors representing each flag.

1 Like

@eefara is it actually possible to make an amazon list? I wanted to add Mafalda but Amazon’s list for it is a mess.

This is also one where there are actually several editions: the original argentinian one, a following mexican edition and then a spanish edition. So I don’t even know which one should be on natively, and if they’re even actually different.

2 Likes

No, sadly not as far as I know. :frowning: Any “list” I make is a manual one in notepad or something to send to Brandon. :frowning:

2 Likes

Oh well, I’ll just do that instead then. Kinda annoying on Amazon’s part though, either they do the lists properly or they let users do them, not whatever they’re doing now.

2 Likes

Aaaagh, now I can’t find a first volume of a manga, but can the later volumes. If anyone can find the first volume of D. Gray-man on amazon.es, let met know/add it to Natively. I have a physical copy sitting in my hands and even tried typing in the ISBN printed on my copy, but nothing came back on Amazon. :\

That should be the last of my small library for ES, I think.

1 Like

I found it!

Here!

Let me know if you want me to add it, or you can just do it. But well, to add every single book from the series, I don’t have the time to do that this week.

1 Like

Oooh, you’re a miracle worker, thank you! How did you find it, if you don’t mind me asking?

And no worries, I can submit it with the rest of the series later!

1 Like

I just looked up d grayman 1 on Amazon .es. I did have to look through quite a bunch of results though, to find an edition that was actually in Spanish.

1 Like

I must’ve not clicked through far enough… Dang it Amazon es, work with me. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sometimes I feel like books are hiding on Amazon. I just found a book through the author’s page that I’ve been trying to buy for two months. And for some reason it never shows up when I search it directly.

Is Amazon just messing with us?

1 Like

I wonder if it’s actually searching by some hidden metadata, and if publishers don’t fill it in/fill it in right, you get weird search issues like this.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s probably just that. The book I was looking for is from a graded reader series by Darakwon, but they forgot to write darakwon in the title and the description. Or anywhere really. And since it’s a traditional Korean folktale, just looking up the name gives many many results, and this one graded reader just disappears into the additional pages.

1 Like

There’s a problem with this series, it shows up twice in search even in series mode.

2 Likes

Something funky is also going on with this series. It shows 24 books as being part of the series, but when I visit the Amazon.es series page, there are supposed to be 25. But odder is that there are a bunch of books that are on the Amazon page but not the Natively page, making the discrepancy even wider.

Some books I noticed are on Amazon but not Natively:

(Note that there are others; this seems like a wider issue with the series importer, so I won’t list them all unless asked.)

Duplicates on the Natively series page:

Also, the series ordering of the books is different on Amazon vs. Natively.

2 Likes

Yeah, i’ve been desperately building out tooling all week to better handle series syncing and generally handling the massive increase in book additions we’ve had.

Hoping to get to it tomorrow… i have a lot of feedback reports to respond to.

4 Likes