Spanish Beta - Feedback from Spanish Users & CEFR Update!

I made a list of teen telenovelas! If anyone has other suggestions, feel free to add them :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It might be neat to make a list of good first novels to read, for people who are wanting to try diving into reading their first novel in Spanish? Though I only have a few to recommend, and I don’t currently see a way to set lists so that others can add to them… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You actually can! However, you can only do specified ‘collaborators’, not an open wiki. Simply create the list and then check ‘add collaborators’ on the edit list page, and search by user name.

So I say you go ahead and create yours and just say in the description to ping you if you want to become a collaborator :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Alright, I made a list of good first novels to read in Spanish!

4 Likes

To make this a bit easier, if anyone would like to add to it (please :pray:), just like this post, and I will add you as a collaborator!

2 Likes

So, there’s been a slight update.

I’ve changed the CEFR level mapping - I set ‘A0’ as the bottom level range and pushed up all the other ones. So the new mapping is:

A0 : 0-5
A1 : 6-12
A2 : 13-19
B1 : 20-26
B2 : 27-33
C1 : 34-40
C2 : 41+

Why? Well, I want to keep Harry Potter vol 1 around lvl 29… so that the Japanese and other grading systems are somewhat close (Japanese has harry potter around lvl 29… actually lvl 31 currently, but it fluctuates).

This does mean, however, that all the books submitted at an initial level will now be wrong if you did it by CEFR lvl approximation. However, this isn’t a terribly big issue.

What’s next for the grading system? See Come help the grading system! Request for Benchmark Books~

6 Likes

I just noticed a double, Cien años de soledad. We can keep the pretty edition’s cover :grinning:

4 Likes

Perfect! Merged to pretty cover :smiling_face:

2 Likes

I tried starting a Spanish study log, but discovered that you can’t use the learning-log tag on threads in the Spanish subforum :smiling_face_with_tear:.

Also, I did not realize the post character limit was so much shorter here than it is on the WaniKani forum… This is probably not a problem for normal human beings, but for wordy people like me… :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

These limits were simply set at the defaults - fixed! I upped the character limit to 70,000.

FWIW, I think you’re the first one to encounter it, quite the essay you wrote! :joy:

Please, we’d love a spanish learner’s log!

5 Likes

Thank you! It’s much appreciated!

My WaniKani level 60 post actually broke the WK post limit (I had to split it into two posts :smiling_face_with_tear:), so my Spanish study log is honestly nothing in comparison :joy_cat:!

Most of the reason why it’s so long is I tried to make up for lost time by going back through my Japanese study log and picking out all the most relevant bits concerning my progress with Spanish, so it’s sort of 3+ years of study condensed down into one post… I figure most people won’t want to read all that, but I wanted it there just as a record, haha.

Hopefully at least one person will get something out of my experiences/recommendations!

6 Likes

Just a poke for this, @brandon.

2 Likes

fixed! Apologies it needed the second reminder :laughing:

2 Likes

I explored the Spanish content available on Libby via my local library. Unfortunately it was only a small selection of very easy books aimed at very young Spanish readers.

I added Mi Herencia Mexicana (My Mexican Heritage) (Lecturas Rosen (Rosen Readers)) | L10?? but there was no picture on Amazon. I couldn’t see a way to submit a cover picture so I’ll add it here.

Summary

1 Like

For the free tag, do we need to individually request through the feedback button book per book?

I’ve also been seeing books that are free on the Kobo / Rakuten store but not on Amazon. So would that warrant a free tag or not?

1 Like

Some of the books from the “Eso no estaba en mi libro de” series are not in the series.

1 Like

Yep!

I’m not sure about that one; I haven’t seen that specific situation before. You’re sure they’re not just temporarily free or anything in Kobo/Rakuten?

1 Like

I think it’s permanent, but who knows :woman_shrugging:

El buen arquitecto for example is free on Kobo but 89 cents on Amazon.

1 Like

Hmmm. Could be a case of Amazon not letting the publisher mark the book as free for some reason, so they have to put a token fee for it or something…

1 Like

You’ll need to give me a bit more information on this :sweat_smile:

May be better as a feedback report from the series page.

Generally we don’t mark things free from those sellers just because I don’t think i’ve every seen an item that’s permanently free from there. If they are legitimately free, they are usually on sites where everything is free.

Happy to be proven wrong. @eefara is correct, the only way right now to add a free tag is a feedback report.

3 Likes