Switch to new cookie manager

The reload happens both in my desktop with Firefox and iPhone with Safari. Also in both the site and the forums. Granted the iPhone reload is more gracious.

That’s what I really don’t understand why it is reloading when I refuse. I’ll try check the debug console when I get home.

Also I haven’t touched web dev in a long time, but there’s no way to set the accepted to not reload too? Just load the cookies on the next page browsing link

2 Likes

Oh no, it’s 100% stupid, don’t worry. You absolutely could load on next page load. I’m assuming though that they’re worried about SPAs which would never load a new page… but it should be configurable…

My only hesitation around rolling my own is that I wouldn’t catch all the cookies & perhaps I wouldn’t be wholly compliant, but it’d undoubtedly be more straightforward and way better UI :confused:

1 Like

Also, if you’re getting repetitive cookie manager consents today, apologies that’s on me. Everytime I request a new cookie report, it has to ask for consent again :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Wait, is that what causes it to ask for consent again randomly? Because for me it’s the re-asking that’s the annoying part about the current solution.

4 Likes

I need to keep an eye out. I haven’t noticed being asked unusually often. But I am so used to having those popups everywhere, I might just have dealt with them on auto-pilot.
Generally, I seem to be asked on most sites about once per month to “renew” my cookie consent - I guess there is some sort of underlying expiration date. (or my browser does some clean-up shenenigans that I am not aware of) :thinking:

1 Like

So, I think removing the cookie manager from the forums will help (decided to remove google analytics from the forums which allows me to remove the consent).

I know that I had a cookie scan every 3 months, which would trigger the reprompt. Obviously, if you use 3 different devices to view natively, between the forums and the main site it’d be six different prompts. Now that will be 3 prompts.

Does that sound about right for the people who were getting prompted a lot? Or was it more often?

I could remove that auto scan and potentially just do it every six months. I’ll also double check the cookie doesn’t expire sooner than that.

While this wouldn’t solve the refresh issue, if you don’t have to do this as often, perhaps that’s a good enough solution?

3 Likes

What is this auto scan? I feel like no other website I’ve ever used has reprompted me on the same device. Getting these prompts every few months might be accurate, though per my OP there was apparently a time I was getting it much more often.

Regardless, I don’t care about the page refresh, just the reprompting.

1 Like

The page refresh has lead to data loss for some people though…

1 Like

Sure, but if the prompt only happens once ever it’s a lot less likely to impact people in that way. (Also, I said that was all I cared about, not the only thing anyone cared about.)

Ok, I’m moving this ticket out of in progress and back to requested, as I do think the immediate issues should be resolved by greatly reducing the amount of times you should see the cookie consent.

I do know that it’d be ideal to roll my own cookie consent, which would resolve the reload issue, but I don’t think i’ll do it now. Pushing back to ‘to do’.

Hope that’s alright with everyone! I am starting in on favorites right now as a crowd pleaser xD

6 Likes