🌳 黒い森の記憶 🧠 終わり

How did it score in your Akagawa bingo?

2 Likes

No bingo :sob: I should add car crash maybe… :thinking:

If anyone else wants to play: 赤川次郎 Bingo Card

7 Likes

I also finished the book and really liked it. The atmosphere, that eerie and yet humorous tone, descriptions and dialogues, liked them all. Some parts were too slow but overall it was an entertaining book.

That final conversation in the car was wild though :joy:.
Our old guy was like “you see? the one who killed him is me. Oh well I killed that other guy too. You guessed it, I killed my brother too.” :sob:

5 Likes

You could maybe add cheating, but that wouldn’t help you with a bingo either…

2 Likes

And then it continued “But - father!” - “I’m not your father either.” Classic :ok_hand:

5 Likes

That was fun indeed, but I believe he didn’t mean he wasn’t actually her father, just that she should start treating him as her uncle so she could be convincing to the police. Or did I misunderstand?

4 Likes

I wasn’t so sure either :sweat_smile: But wasn’t that shortly before he killed himself anyway, so why would that matter?
My first understanding was that she was actually the daughter of the dude he killed (who had an affair with his wife) so I thought that was the plausible explanation, but the scene went past us a little bit too quickly for it to be a big reveal, and also probably the wife did not commit adultery already around the time the daughter was born, is what I think now :thinking:

In short: I don’t really know what that was supposed to mean :laughing: Anybody else?

5 Likes

It did matter, because if her own father was revealed as a murderer (of multiple people even), it would have a dire effect on her reputation, her family’s clinic, even her daughter’s future. Apparently having a criminal uncle is fine, but a criminal father is where society draws the line? :thinking:

5 Likes

Oh, that’s indeed a good point, thanks for pointing it out! Then I agree with your interpretation of what it meant.

3 Likes

oh, I have reached the final week. How exciting. I wonder if any of our theories were true. :thinking:

3:
I see, I see. The police guy had the same idea as (most of?) us. Doctor might not be who he says he is. :eyes:

3 Likes

なるほど、そういうこと…

that was a pretty abrupt ending compared to the fairly slow paced rest. :eyes:

but enjoyed it. author goes to the “read more” list.

really? I’d give it tops 32, but the current 30 seems ok to me, too… :thinking:

did anyone read the 解説? Is it worth reading?

3 Likes

the wife cheated on the husband… so… you could tick that, still not a bingo, though. :melting_face:

3 Likes

Did I say that after finishing the book or midway? I wouldn’t call it a 30 now, but 32 seems fair given the slow and descriptive opening (but fast paced ending). I’ve read a ton of this author and this is harder than his usual fare and I view most of that as 28-30

3 Likes

There is plenty more of his stuff available - he’s written over 650 books and is still writing. I have read 42 so far, so not even 10% yet…

4 Likes

what’s your top 10 (or top 3 or even favourite 1)? :eyes:

1 Like

I have a soft spot for ミス | L30?? because it’s the first one I read, though it might be out of print now. Journalist enters herself into a beauty contest while drunk as a dare, gets mixed up in murder.

I thought あなたも殺人犯になれる! | L26 was a good standalone book and example of Akagawa in his more usual humorous mood (mentioning it on WK is why the IBC did it recently). Collection of oddballs sign up for a writing retreat for aspiring manga authors at a remote mountain lodge; murder ensues.

鼠、江戸を疾る | L30 is the first in the Nezumi series of historical novels (all short stories about an Edo period “rob the rich and help out the poor” Robin Hood type thief. If you want to get into the Edo period historical fiction genre this is a good place to start because you can start learning the genre specific vocab without having to deal with a high difficulty level book at the same time.

魔女たちのたそがれ | L28 is more serious suspense/horror, if you prefer that.

He has a lot of long running series (which generally don’t need to be read in order), so if you pick up one of the 悪魔 books, or the 吸血鬼 books, or the 花嫁 books, etc, and you like it and the characters you have an easy source of “more of the same”. I suspect that a lot of people would bounce off the 吸血鬼 series for being too silly and a bit juvenile, but I enjoy them, and they are also a Natively level or two easier than his other books (I think they’re aimed at a lower age range). 吸血鬼はお年ごろ | L26 is the first book and probably the best place to start the series.

But more generally I don’t think I’ve read any book of his that I really disliked. He does have some tropes which he is fond of (lots of feisty young female lead characters, for example, and other things on the Akagawa bingo card that pocketcat on the WK forums put together), his plotting is sometimes a bit slapdash (I suspect him of being one of those “write in a single draft and never revise” writers) and his worldview is definitely “Japanese guy born in the 1940s” and that does rather show through sometimes, which might be a deal-breaker for some people. I tend to recommend him pretty widely because there aren’t that many authors who write consistently fun to read books at a level which is accessible to the intermediate learner and an easy quick read for the advanced learner.

7 Likes

I’m curious about this phrasing, do you not know I’m pocketcat? :sweat_smile:

I haven’t read books from all those series, but the ones I have I agree with. I think his standalones tend to have a chance at being more exciting than his series, though, and his short stories can be surprisingly good. 遅刻してきた幽霊 I remember having some excellent stories.

2 Likes

No, I don’t necessarily track/remember when people have different forum names here and there; sorry :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

One of the Amazon reviews of that says “まだバブルの残り香がある明るい日本だった頃。自分が子供時代のサラリーマンやOLはこんな感じだったのか、と読んでいて楽しかったです。” which I find an interesting viewpoint and reminder that a lot of Akagawa’s stuff has been in print for decades.

2 Likes

Thank you! :green_heart:

1 Like