終わり 🐺 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う

Welcome to week four of 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う !

Home thread for announcements, wiki, etc

We are following the below schedule (page counts may vary based on your medium):

Week Up to
Week 4 - May 6th Finish the book

I will generally copy this information over thread to thread each week for ease of finding - you can always expect the schedule at the top of any weekly thread :slight_smile:

:policeman: Law and Order :policewoman:

• Any reveals, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.
  • You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly
  • Be kind about other peoples’ wild guesses :sparkling_heart:
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.

To gauge participation - a poll!

Are you reading week 1 of 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う ?

• Yes, I’m planning to read along/am reading along this week
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters

Happy sleuthing! :male_detective:

1 Like

I already started reading yesterday because I was worried I won’t make it this week otherwise.

up to section 6

I’m a bit torn on this book, I like that it’s an easy read, but on the other hand, it feels like it can’t quite decide if it wants to be silly/a parody or serious. The whole ordeal with the grandma becoming addicted was so weird and out of place, kinda like Hänsel abusing his sister.
And then the wolf redemption arc… ehhh. I’m not sure. I don’t actively dislike the book, but it kind of feels off. I feel like the serious/emotional moments just don’t fit well with the rest of the book. I think the first chapter balanced it really well, I feel like the other chapters needlessly included “dark” moments.

That being said, it is still one of the more entertaining books that is so easy to follow (besides chapter 3 for me haha).

5 Likes

On part 3, anyone knows what the girl did with the posters? Right after the 新聞 part.

1 Like

Also just in case someone else wasn’t familiar with the base story for this chapter, The Little Match Girl - Wikipedia

3 Likes

My understanding was that she put up posters advertising that you would see your dreams if you used her matches, is that what you were asking?

3 Likes

I finished it!

I enjoyed the book overall and may pick up another in the future, even though I thought the “dark moments” were a bit out of place.
It was fun reading with the book club as always. Thanks to everyone who was active in setting up threads, discussions and so on! :blush:

4 Likes

Yes, thank you.

1 Like

Wow well done! I still have about 40 pages to go. I’ve really enjoyed this book club too, so thanks to everyone who participated! :blush:

3 Likes

This was a decent read, but I will not continue with the series. It just didn’t really hold my interest, really. And I agree that it should have leaned into the comedic parts and abandoned the darker topics. It just felt like those came out of nowhere.

However, I am curious to give the other series also a try some day…

4 Likes