Transparent profile pictures are cool

There’s not really an off topic section (and this is borderline on topic anyway), so in the Natively section it goes… I was messing with a few options for profile pictures, and I happened to have one with a transparent background. This does cool things both on Natively and on the forums, so I figured I’d share.

It inherits the Natively background color:

Also inherited in the top right corner, but with a funny little border:

It changes on the forums depending on your theme:
(Admittedly, it doesn’t look great on light theme)

The user card makes it look like the picture is floating off the card:

That’s it. I haven’t actually decided whether to keep this profile picture, go back to my previous 本好き picture, or select another ごちうさ picture. I find picking profile pictures to be very difficult since what looks good full size (or even Natively profile picture size) often looks bad for small forum profile pictures.

8 Likes

The problem is not all images look nice with the natively blue on the background

1 Like

Well, I was really sad to see Mayne go away, so I vote your sick with her. Also, I kind of associated the blue in your name with the blue of Maynes hair.

4 Likes

I’m still thinking about it. That said, pretty much everyone associates each user with their profile picture and finds it jarring when it changes. Before Mayne (on WaniKani that is) I used a picture of Reki from Haibane Renmei that was primarily purple. I used that one literally for years before switching to Mayne, and it was a big deal for a bit haha.

The other GochiUsa picture I was considering is of Maya (the transparent one is of Chiya), and Maya’s hair is blue. But that one is fan art, so I’d have to ask permission to use it, which probably isn’t worth the hassle. (The Chiya one is official art, so it’s okay.)

I have to agree that it just doesn’t feel right to see seanblue without a lot of blue in their profile picture. What is seanblue without blue? Just sean? :thinking:

5 Likes

I could change my username to sean{color} depending on my profile picture at any given time. :joy:

6 Likes

I call dibs on seanred.
Nobody will ever figure my cover.

7 Likes

Oh no, what have I started…

8 Likes