UI issue: Better date picker?

It’s easy to choose a wrong date, if it is not today, to finish a book, or to start. Particularly, month and year.

Choosing a date

Another issue here, is the year number here is cut off, just at the lowest digit.

Possible solutions?

• A proper calendar UI component, with 4x3 grid for choosing month
  • Numbered months, just like in Japanese language (1月 - 12月)
  • Full numeral date type-in, with validator
Month chooser ideas

3x4

4x3

A related issue is, please give an option to choose a different date format. I am more used to date-month-year; but ISO year-month_number-date might be faster to read.

Trello link: (leave in blank)

Hi @polv ! So, I do have a proper calendar date widget, but the only issue is for partial date input. I do allow you to simply input ‘2023’ or ‘2022 May’ without a full date. Thus, I followed GoodReads UI for this, which are simple dropdowns. I could allow a popup for a month chooser like you mention, but is that better? Especially for mobile, I think dropdowns are better but I’m not sure.

I agree I could simply shorten the month dropdown and not cutoff the year… perhaps by using 3 letter abbreviations for months (Feb, Aug, Jun… etc).

I feel like @seanblue has had some thoughts about this datepicker in the past as well, so pinging him here too.

I went with year-month-date simply because that’s the order that’s required… you need a year, but month & day are optional.

I agree though, a simple datepicker may have been the right call and perhaps I’m compromising too much to allow people to put ‘2023’ only when in fact I could just force them to choose a specific date.

Will wait for more comments to determine whether or not to approve ticket.

1 Like

Isn’t it possible to make it toggle-able like in a settings option?

I’m actually a really big fan of allowing just a year at a bare minimum. I try to track my JP reads on Goodreads as well, but for some reason books I know I’ve read way back aren’t on my read list there; not sure if Goodreads swallowed them or I imagined entering them or what. Anyway, due to the fact that I’ve got a pile of manga that I read years ago and now have no record for when I read them, year’s about the only thing I can go by, maybe month as well if I’m lucky.

I’m really glad I can just put a year in Natively because I can still have that book counted as part of my year stats, if nothing else. Full date would be ideal, of course, but if I have to pick a random date because the site requires it, is it really tracking anything at that point? Anyway, just my two cents. I suppose if a full date were required, I’d just have to make a personal policy to mark all the books I don’t have full dates for as, like, Jan 1 of that year or something. But then it messes with my January stats. :thinking:

2 Likes

I don’t remember. My only feedback might have been that the order of the options in the dropdown felt backwards. :joy:

I only put in full dates and for that a proper picker would be an improvement, but I do agree that the partial input is useful too. I’m not sure if there’s a good way to allow both without cluttering the UI.

1 Like

I am complaining mostly about months, so a quick fix would be Settings to change date format, to numerical months.

Toggling between calendar UI and drop-down inputs would be another idea. Not in Settings, but directly at date selection forms.

I think this makes sense from a standard point of view (all hail ISO 8601). Like for me the most sense would DD-MM-YYYY but I think thats not how USA does it.

Having had to add 50 books from Bookmeter, I would have saved so many clicks with a date picker that just allows text input as well…

What was most aggravating with the current system, is the fact that it resets your day if you switch the month. SO MANY TIMES I put the date in first and then chose the month, only to have the day reset :frowning:. Maybe only reset it if the day exceeds that months amount of days?

Again, lots of discussion here and not really sure where we land. I will simply leave this one open @Megumin not sure what to do.

1 Like