Watch Parties 🍿

So this idea came about from watching Shin Godzilla as part of WK’s movie club and mentioning wanting to do some add-hoc watch parties in the BL Book Club Thread.

Logistically it’s a bit tricky - there are Viki watch parties which have the prerequisites of a) having an account, b) being in an area where the show is already licensed* and c) if the person running the party has a higher subscription level they may want to stream an episode that others in the party can’t view, which isn’t allowed.

I also have media (and I’m sure others do) that I could share from my computer via something like Discord, but I’m leery of posting such a link publicly as there are Bad Actors :tm: on the internet. It’s also not my server, so I must be even more respectful of invites.

So basically, my rough draft idea is this:

• When possible and if interest, can do Viki watch parties
  • Otherwise have the watch parties on Discord
    – To get an invite to the Discord I intend to use I’ll ask you have a posting history on the forum already and you have shown yourself a good community member (friendly, helpful, etc).

This is all very brain-stormy so if anyone has thoughts on improvements and tweaks, please let me know.

edit Perhaps this thread could be used to just advertise intended watch times + what will be shared + where it will take place?

*As a completely unrelated side note, free VPNs exist which can route your internet traffic through other countries.

12 Likes

I would love to participate if you don’t mind having me! plus I have a lot of content I can share including the old godzilla movies :wink: :crazy_face: :smirk:

unfortunately I can’t join the viki watch parties due to it not being available over here :smiling_face_with_tear:

adding a picture of where it’s available for future reference/anyone else that wants to check

9 Likes

Third option is to announce the movie and let people acquire it themselves. You’d still need discord or something similar, so people can chat about it and maybe have a timer running, so everyone is on the same part of the movie, but you’d not have to dip your toes into a somewhat illegal area by streaming a licensed movie.

6 Likes

If it’s on Netflix or other streaming platforms, you can just have a time to start watching and have people do it on their own. I guess there will be a few seconds of desynchronization, but it’s better than nothing.

8 Likes

I’m personally not keen on ‘everyone press play at the same time’ as I tried that during 2020 and it never quite worked out right :confused: So I probably won’t host those but am open to others doing it if they like.

something something VPNs route traffic through other locations… :sweat_smile:

I’ll shoot you an invite! Thankfully Natively allows DMs which makes sharing private links easier

Also, 2023-10-08T18:00:00Z (I believe this should should the correct timezone for each person) I’ll do a watch party of おっさんずラブ ―in the sky― S1 | L30??, episode 1. There are no subs.

6 Likes

Dang, that’s a time that might actually work for me maybe. How many episodes would we be watching?

2 Likes

Each episode is ~40 min so I could do 1 or 2 but more than that would be difficult for me time wise :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Monday at 3 am… hmmm I guess I won’t have to decide if I want to go through the trouble of using a VPN or not :rofl:

1 Like

I’m thinking I’ll try to do weekend mornings (your 3am :P) and weekday evenings (your mornings) from time to time. Unfortunately for me most of the Japanese daytime is in my evening/overnight and I’m an early riser, not a night owl :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Friday evening/Saturday morning could work, in theory :thinking:
But otherwise, I guess the stars just aren’t aligned.

3 Likes

I’m sure I can make some Friday evenings work :smiley:

1 Like

might you know good free ones or is the inevitable choice to buy, I tried to experiment with some but watching something with them is always too much for the free plan :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

The free VPNs are not fast enough. At least for me, I am lucky if I can get yahoo to work. Streaming is a non-starter. :sob:

8 pm and this seems to be available for me on viki. :eyes: Count me in. :partying_face:

3 Likes

I’m down to join too! I should be available! :blush:

1 Like

I know people on WK used one for a previous online film festival but searching now I can’t find it :weary: @nikoru do you happen to remember what it was? I’m almost positive you also watched that festival/were in that thread

FWIW, if anyone is interested in a paid option I use Mullvad which costs 5€ a month (usually works out to be around $5 with exchange rates). It doesn’t work on Netflix sadly, but then neither did Express.

3 Likes

So far I was in the lucky cohort that could watch the festival movies directly without using a VPN, and I don’t remember any discussions either :pensive: If I need a VPN I use Tunnelbear, but its free plan of 500 MB/month is not enough for a movie, sadly.

4 Likes

@cat @nikoru
Thank you guys so much regardless, the struggle of VPNs will continue but you are in my heart with me there :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Edit: this may change, the movie not the time, post below

2023-10-14T01:00:00Z will be

Somewhat ghosty, somewhat BL-y. No JP subs available.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, how do you enter a date that formats to everyone’s correct timezone? Using the calendar widget?

2 Likes

Ok, decided to do a pulse check of the people available for the time listed above (2023-10-14T01:00:00Z)

@eefara yep, calendar button does it automatically

2 Likes