Week 1 of 7️⃣ 七回死んだ男 💀

Welcome to week 1 of 七回死んだ男 ! Hope you’re ready for 7 and/or 1 murder(s)! Depends on your view, right?

As a reminder, we are following the below schedule (page counts may vary based on your medium):
Week 1 とりあえず事件のさわりだけでも + 主人公は設定を説明する 19 pages
Week 2 登場人物たちが一堂に会す 24 pages
Week 3 不穏な空気はさらに高まる + そして事件は起きる 47 pages
Week 4 やっぱり事件は起きる + しつこく事件は起きる 38 pages
Week 5 まだまだ事件は起きる 27 pages
Week 6 それでも事件は起きる + 嫌でも事件は起きる 34 pages
Week 7 事件は最後にあがく + そして誰も死ななかったりする 28 pages
Week 8 事件は逆襲する + 螺旋を抜けるとき + 時の螺旋は終わらない 34 pages

I will generally copy this information over thread to thread each week for ease of finding - you can always expect the schedule at the top of any weekly thread :slight_smile:

:policeman: Law and Order :policewoman:

• Any reveals, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.
  • You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly
  • Be kind about other peoples’ wild guesses :sparkling_heart:
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.

To gauge participation - a poll!

Are you reading week 1?

• Yes, I’m planning to read along/am reading along this week
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I had no intentions of reading the book, but I desire to click a poll

0 voters

Happy sleuthing! :male_detective:

3 Likes

I loved the first chapter! It was an intriguing setup, the family dynamics were interesting, and the premise of ‘a day that should have repeated without change, changed’ is fun. The second chapter though…could have been half its length. I felt like it was just so overexplained. I did enjoy the scene about パンツ交換 despite (or maybe because of) the darkness of the joke, but the rest felt like needless detail. I’m hoping the author leaves off at that setup and we don’t have to revisit the mechanics of this again.

2 Likes

Finished chapter 1 last night and am working on chapter 2. Loving it so far; the writing feels like it has a ton of personality already, and the protagonist’s rather unique situation is incredibly intriguing. I’m gonna have to figure out what I need to do to remember the readings for all the family members’ names; if I was really a physical copy I’d whip up a handy bookmark and jot them all down, but that doesn’t really work on Kindle. I highlighted them so I could search for them easily, but it still takes a few seconds per search, and if multiple people pop up and my short term memory starts to fail me… You can see the time adding up.

2 Likes

YES! the second chapter dragged… not helped by the fact that I have been struck down by the dreaded Pandora and reading is a chore either way. :face_holding_back_tears:

So, now that the 説明 part is over, I hope we can return to the story.
The author still owes me… 6(?) deaths of the same dude. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

I’ve been writing them down :slight_smile: I haven’t had much time to read yet so I’ve only read about a page, but this is what I have so far:

Character names + relation (edit: there were some errors here!!)
  • 渕上零次郎 (Fuchigami Reijrou) → 祖父, victim
  • 友理 (Tomori) → ??
  • 胡留乃 (Kotono) → 叔母
  • (name unknown?) → 母
  • 富士高 (Fujitaka) → お兄さん
  • 世史夫 (Yoshio) → お兄さん
  • キヨ子 (Kiyoko) → ??
  • 葉流名 (Haruna) → 叔母
  • 舞 (Mai) → お姉さん cousin
  • ルナ (Runa/Luna?) → お姉さん cousin
  • 槌矢 (Tsuchiya) → ??
  • still have no idea what the protagonist’s name is

I’m probably going to be taking a lot more notes than I usually do when reading (which is little to none) since I this is my first mystery novel in Japanese and I want to make sure I understand all the clues :mag:

2 Likes

Aaah, you’re in the right place then! We’ve been able to have a bunch of good discussion in our previous books, including stuff that people me have missed. :smiley:

2 Likes

My book has a “who is who” table in the beginning. Not gonna post it, as I don’t know if it may contain spoilers, but if you are unsure, who someone is and really want to know, I can look it up. :slight_smile:
Right at the beginning of Chapter 2, we learn that the narrator is called おおひさろう and I think in chapter 3 we learn that he is 高校一年生, 16歳.

3 Likes

Oh my copy has that too, didn’t even notice! Thank you for pointing that out to me :smiley: I won’t look at it too much for now since I’d like to find things out from reading, but I’ll use it to double check… looks like I was wrong about some things: Fujitaka, Yoshio, and Hisatarou are brothers, but Mai and Luna are their cousins. I think the 姉さん honorifics threw me off

3 Likes

Okay, finished chapter 2 last night; it took me a little while longer than anticipated to get through because I didn’t realize how bad my stamina was for long chapters with basically no dialogue, haha. While on one hand the explanation for what the main character can and can not do during these 落とし穴 is probably needed to ground the readers, it did feel a bit long-winded at times. :sweat_smile: But I’m still super looking forward to the next chapters; I figure once we get back to the present things should get real interesting real quick.

I believe we actually learn the chapter 3 info in chapter 2, right? Also, this is the first time I’ve seen how ruby’s implemented in a post! Is there some sort of Discourse feature to do that easily, or do you have to do it all by hand?

I’ll admit, I giggled at the joke as well. Wasn’t expecting the kids’ train of thought.

1 Like

It’s just HTML and in this case I literally copied it from the epub (which is basically just zipped html files) and it came with the ruby tags. I would not have bothered typing those tags myself. :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

IIRC there’s a scriptmonkey thingy that will do it for you whenever you type kanji. I’ve seen people mention it on the WK forums. I tried it once but found it annoying and removed it. I sorta figure anyone who cares about the reading can use something like yomichan and if it’s a name I’ll add it in parenthesis.

2 Likes