Week 10 of 📚 本好きの下剋上 / 책벌레의 하극상 🪱

Welcome all to week 10 of our Bookworm bookclub! We’ve got one more chapter than usual this week!

01296db9-dc81-4846-8b59-c71d2f143fcf

Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter Number Ch. Name :jp: Ch. Name :kr: Ending% / Page# :jp: Ending Page# :kr: # of Pages :jp: # of Pages :kr:
10 Nov 6 19 トゥーリの洗礼式 투리의 세례식 61%/230 232 16 16
20 黄河文明、愛してる 황하문명이여, 사랑한다 66%/240 242 10 10
21 インクが欲しい 잉크를 원해 69%/250 252 10 10

Junior JP version

(No page numbers known)

(Home thread) week 9 | week 11

Character Table
English Japanese Korean Notes
Myne マイン 마인 Protagonist (Eng. also written “Main”)
Tuuli トゥーリ 투리 Myne’s older sister
Effa エーファ 에파 Myne’s mother
Günter ギュンター 귄터 Myne’s father
Lutz ルッツ 루츠 Friend; same age as Myne
Ralph ラルフ 랄프 Friend; same age as Tuuli
Carla カルラ 칼라 Lutz and Ralph’s mother
Fey フェイ 페이 Friend; same age as Tuuli
Otto オットー 오토 Subordinate to Günter

Discussion ground rule suggestions

• Any spoilers, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Always mention where you are in the book when discussing, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting! But please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week :slight_smile:
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That can be part of the discussion too and I’m sure some folks would be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.
Are you joining us for week 10?
  • I’m reading along
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I’ve dropped the book
0 voters
3 Likes

Hello fellow (book)worms~ I’m posting this a bit early since I’ll be traveling next week.

3 Likes

Safe Travels! Don’t buy too many books :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Don’t worry, I intend to. :ok_hand: :money_with_wings:

6 Likes

If I go back in January I have the curse of 2 bags of 23kg which is a lot of books :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m a little early, but this week was fun as usual! I enjoyed Myne’s dad’s grumbling about missing Tuuli’s ceremony. I’m really curious about what actually happens in the church/shrine during that time - is there some form of magic in this world that priests use or something like that?

Also, Myne’s attempts to make 木簡 were interesting. I wonder if she’ll be able to make ink? I have to say, this book’s taught me a lot about various historical methods of making objects that people can write on, as well as how some more modern objects like soap and pencils are made.

Also, I wonder if ルッツ will be convinced by Otto to give up on his dream?

3 Likes

Ah, I got so used to two chapters per week that I didn’t realize that インクが欲しい was part of this week.

It was nice to see Main being able to help at the gate (and her father agreeing that she would have no problem getting a job in the future).

Otherwise, I didn’t feel like much happened this time.
I went down computer memory lane and checked my comments in the WK book club (first time I read the book) and apparently we are already past the point where I got hooked and just flew past the book club (and ended up reading the whole series). It’s funny, I thought I remembered that I only got into it at the end of the first book, but I guess not. That being said, the series kept getting better for me, so it makes sense that I mostly remember one of the first major bump in enjoyment.
About this part, specifically, I was at the time really happy to see Main getting close to her family and everyone being so supportive of each other. I also commented on the ink making process, but I will need to check again to make sure I know what I meant :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I am now finally caught up! :partying_face:

This week’s reading was one of the most enjoyable so far. I especially enjoyed the coming of age ceremony scene with their father sulking about having a meeting that day. It was also sweet how Tuuli got so many compliments from the neighbors — I really like her character, so it was cute seeing her have her moment.

Myne also seems to be maturing and finally embracing her life in the new world. Instead of just thinking about her own goals, now she wants the contribute to her family or help others around her, such as Lutz. What a nice change! I am glad the annoying Myne chapters are behind us now. :face_exhaling:

3 Likes

Slowly catching up on chapters; I’ve gotten a bit behind since my trip. Just finished the first one of this week, and I’m a bit sad we didn’t get to see what went on with the 洗礼式. :frowning: It’s funny; I’ve heard this series has excellent world-building, but it feels like we’ve gotten very little of that so far in this volume. It’s far more slice-of-life than I was expecting.

2 Likes

True on both counts. (I’m trying to justify without spoiling anything; I’ll remove if anyone thinks it’s too much) Main has access to very little information (and can do even less) at this point. Generally speaking, the series starts really slow but has an exponential growth. With some rare exceptions, every volume has been more satisfying than the previous one for me.

4 Likes

That’s good to hear. I have a whole bunch of the volumes and was interested in potentially reading more, but if things were going to be about the same as this first one I was a bit put off. Too many other books, not enough time kind of thing.

1 Like

I knew we had 3 chapters for this week, but for some reason I thought 黄河文明、愛してる was the 3rd chapter I’d read this week… so I have one more to go still :sweat_smile:

That’s good to know. I think I started off on the wrong foot with this book because I accidentally bought the wrong one on sale, ended up paying full price for the right one, and then immediately afterward it was on sale for free :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Still got one more chapter for this week, but it’s relatively short so I’m going to try and push through before bed.

Still I felt bad for Myne this week. Even people outside of her family think she’s useless. I guess when living hand to mouth there’s not a lot of room to spare feelings. And even now when she’s actually trying to engage with daily life she can’t even do that. I know Gunther meant theyre just glad she’s alive which is more than they expected of a sickly child but oomph. And Effa and Tuuli didn’t believe her about her work at the gate. …Of course she then immediately goes on about working in jobs she doesn’t even know exists in this world and has no means to get involved with and gets distracted on her first firewood gathering trip so. :rofl:

5 Likes