Book Club Links :books:

Natively page
Spanish fiction bookclub
Homepage La Ciudad de las Bestias
Collaborative google sheets

Chapter Start date Title End page Pgs in Ch. Wk #
17 1 Jul El pájaro caníbal 274 12 16

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post your thoughts.
  • The google sheets is here to help you with vocab, grammar and anything else you might need. Feel free to add to it!

Are you joining us for week 16?

• Yes
  • I’m moving at my own pace
  • I’m just here for the discussion
0 voters
1 Like
Chapter 17

What a great twist, although I suddenly have no idea what to think! Certainly Omayra now seems very suspicious. Is Mauro really plan to wipe out the tribe by injecting them with some kind of poison under the pretence of vaccinating them? It seems such a simple trap!

Have the kids just got things wrong and become conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxers? Is Karakawe the good guy and has spotted something odd about the vaccines?

The ability to make oneself invisible without needing an invisibility cloak seems very handy.

I learned a new phrase - if something happens sin novedad then it happens “without incident”. I also liked the word corozonada - a hunch or a feeling (presumably coming from the corazón rather than the brain).

When the Swiss Army knife had all it’s tools out it turned into an erizo (hedgehog) - I liked that description!

And there was a Dracula reference for @eefara :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh, remind me what the reference was? :open_mouth:

Sabía de gente que teme las inyecciones, pero la cara de Carías era como si hubiera visto a Drácula. :man_vampire:

2 Likes

Ah, thank you! I remember that now! Amazing how such a simple choice of words can bring a smile to my face, haha.

2 Likes