🌿 Week 2 | 薬屋のひとりごと 2 ⚕

Welcome to the reading club for 薬屋のひとりごと 2!

Home Thread | week 1 | week 3

Reading Schedule

Chapter Starts on Page# # of pages
1 15 17

JPDB Deck: Kusuriya no Hitorigoto – Prebuilt decks – jpdb (This is the page for the whole series)

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book, ideally by chapter so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.
Are you reading along with us?
  • Yes! :smile:
  • I’m reading at my own pace :smiling_face:
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
1 Like

In about 1/3rd through this week’s reading. It’s definitely still hard, and I absolutely still need the translation, but I’m finding myself less perplexed so far. Are y’all experiencing similar?

The number of lookups is really frustrating tho, so I’m considering doing the jpdb deck for it (tho I rarely stick with that sorta thing). Definitely being a bit lazy about certain parts (ie extensive reading for a few sentences to sorta get the gyst, check translation, don’t go back over to correct errors).

Otherwise it’s really cool getting 猫猫’s inner monologue. Her descriptions of things are so colorful and delightful, and her general attitude/demeanor is very enjoyable. Like even when she’s being self-deprecating, it’s still interesting. Her mix of creative ingenuity and 鈍感(wrt 壬氏) is amazing too. The way she solved the bullying scene scene was surprisingly clever, for some who picked the worst words at the start.

3 Likes

Uuurgh, I was hoping to have done this week’s reading at this point, but this week has been harsh work-wise. @.@ Am hoping to get it read by the end of this weekend so I don’t slip into next week, but we’ll see. I’m hoping I’ll be freer next week, so I can do both weeks’ readings at once if necessary.

3 Likes

Good luck! Hope work chills out soon

1 Like

Finished it… I’ll just add that I love how 猫猫 just mechanically mentally appraises everyone (generally in a positive, if critical manner). Also how she goes off in her own world whenever anything related to apothecary stuff comes up.

3 Likes

Done with week two~ And I have now officially caught up with where I put the book down last time. :sweat_smile: I am happy to report that, compared to last time, my will to live still exists, so we’re going on right ahead. :muscle:

Man, 猫猫 is a great character; I just consistently enjoy her blend of intelligence and aloofness.

And just like last time, I have to shudder a bit at the “surprises” that would be left in 壬氏’s drawers. Horrifying. Who leaves something like that and thinks, “yes, this will make him mine”?

3 Likes