Week 2 of 7️⃣ 七回死んだ男 💀

Please note this week was posted in advance as @cat won’t have her laptop when it needs to be posted

Welcome to week 2 of 七回死んだ男 !

As a reminder, we are following the below schedule (page counts may vary based on your medium):
Week 1 とりあえず事件のさわりだけでも + 主人公は設定を説明する 19 pages
Week 2 登場人物たちが一堂に会す 24 pages
Week 3 不穏な空気はさらに高まる + そして事件は起きる 47 pages
Week 4 やっぱり事件は起きる + しつこく事件は起きる 38 pages
Week 5 まだまだ事件は起きる 27 pages
Week 6 それでも事件は起きる + 嫌でも事件は起きる 34 pages
Week 7 事件は最後にあがく + そして誰も死ななかったりする 28 pages
Week 8 事件は逆襲する + 螺旋を抜けるとき + 時の螺旋は終わらない 34 pages

I will generally copy this information over thread to thread each week for ease of finding - you can always expect the schedule at the top of any weekly thread :slight_smile:

:policeman: Law and Order :policewoman:

• Any reveals, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.
  • You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly
  • Be kind about other peoples’ wild guesses :sparkling_heart:
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.

To gauge participation - a poll!

Are you reading week 2?

• Yes, I’m planning to read along/am reading along this week
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I had no intentions of reading the book, but I desire to click a poll

0 voters

Happy sleuthing! :male_detective:

1 Like

Did this chapter have a… point? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m not finished with it yet (traveling and won’t have my book again til next week) but it seemed to be just setting up relationships? Also teaching me that トレーナー is not shoes like I thought (trainers) but a sweater.

I Googled it when he mentioned them not having pockets… :sweat_smile:

yes, I know. But it’s so much introduction stuff… and I am not interested. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Okay, I got a bit of a late start, but finished this week’s reading. I actually really appreciated the rundown of the family dynamics; these are going to be super important, I can tell. I don’t know how helpful this will be, but I drew up a quick chart in an attempt to organize what we learned about the main family relationships this chapter:

Spoilers for this week's chapter

One other thing I wanted to make a note of was what color トレーナー everyone’s wearing. No clue if it’ll also be important, but why else have such a specific setup?

トレーナー colors; spoilers for this chapter

渕上 霊治郎: brown

加実寿 / 胡留乃 / 葉流名: green

富士高 / 舞: blue
世史美 / ルナ: yellow
久太郎: red

鎚矢 龍一 / 友理 絵美: black
キョ子: doesn’t have to wear a トレーナー

And man, seems like we don’t have as many readers this time around? Feels quieter than usual.

3 Likes

I late to this week’s reading because I’m traveling, but I suspect the rather dry first chapter may have killed some interest.

I hope not. If so, people really need to adopt some patience; you can’t have a well-written, well-thought out mystery without some background. That second chapter (if we’re not counting the first as a prologue of sorts) was perhaps a bit long, but I’d prefer that to a time travel book where the author plays fast and lose with the time travel, because then you have to be suspect of their mystery chops.

1 Like

I think some of the dryness is the writing style. It’s not terrible, but it’s not the most engaging. I hope we haven’t lost too many people, though!

1 Like

Man, you think so? I’ve been thinking it’s had a lot of character to it; feels more colloquial/loose than what I’m used to, at least.

1 Like

I’m glad you’re liking it! Everyone has different tastes so I hope more people are enjoying it than not.

I actually just bought a mystery short story collection from different authors so I can get a taste of their style before committing to whole books. Maybe I’m picky now :joy:

1 Like

There are different types of mysteries, though. I prefer to have the information intermixed with story. I have never really enoyed these kinds of “classic” mysteries like Agatha Christie et al. I want emotion and drama and twists. I really don’t care about the “puzzle” side of things. And I have always hated information dumping. Personally, I think it’s lazy writing but I am happy if people enjoy it. :slight_smile:

And I also find the writing style rather dry and a tad bit confusing with so many characters that just… don’t really seem all that different to each other. I still hope it might get more interesting for me, once we actually get to the case. The summary sounded right up my alley. :face_holding_back_tears:

2 Likes