Week 3 of 7️⃣ 七回死んだ男 💀

Please note this week was posted in advance as @cat won’t have her laptop when it needs to be posted

Welcome to week 3 of 七回死んだ男 !

As a reminder, we are following the below schedule (page counts may vary based on your medium):

Week 1 とりあえず事件のさわりだけでも + 主人公は設定を説明する 19 pages

Week 2 登場人物たちが一堂に会す 24 pages

Week 3 不穏な空気はさらに高まる + そして事件は起きる 47 pages

Week 4 やっぱり事件は起きる + しつこく事件は起きる 38 pages

Week 5 まだまだ事件は起きる 27 pages

Week 6 それでも事件は起きる + 嫌でも事件は起きる 34 pages

Week 7 事件は最後にあがく + そして誰も死ななかったりする 28 pages

Week 8 事件は逆襲する + 螺旋を抜けるとき + 時の螺旋は終わらない 34 pages

I will generally copy this information over thread to thread each week for ease of finding - you can always expect the schedule at the top of any weekly thread :slight_smile:

:policeman: Law and Order :policewoman:

• Any reveals, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.

• Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.

• You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly

• Be kind about other peoples’ wild guesses :sparkling_heart:

• Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.

To gauge participation - a poll!

Are you reading week 3?

• Yes, I’m planning to read along/am reading along this week

• I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club

• I had no intentions of reading the book, but I desire to click a poll

0 voters

Happy sleuthing! :male_detective:

2 Likes

Phew, 47 pages this week. :cold_sweat: I better get started early.

3 Likes

Whoops, thought it was 2 chapters per weeks so I just finished やっぱり事件は起きる.

Well, setup is over, so time to get into the meat of things. I feel like the book spends more time than it needs explaining the time loop setup but hopefully that part is largely over now.

3 Likes

Finished this weeks part. We are finally getting somewhere. :partying_face:

1 Like

I’m still working on this week because I was traveling for 2 weeks and my reading time was limited. I also have a physical copy of this book which I didn’t want to lug around :sweat_smile:

I just finished the first of this week’s two chapters. Hoping to knock the other one out tomorrow (and another book club’s assignment :see_no_evil: ). I’ll have the week 4 post up shortly, though.

Was it ever mentioned how old 友理 is? She’s a secretary, but a high school student proposes to her and she’s like, “hmm, maybe!”

1 Like

I don’t think so. She could theoretically be not much older than him or it could be very iffy. We don’t know.
I am reading a book right now which is pretty good so far apart from one thing: the teenaged high school MC has a much older BF who is married with child and the MC has to call him “daddy” while doing the naughties because the BF is fantasizing about doing that stuff to his son. :face_vomiting: and there is no commentary about how wrong this is in any sense. Japanese don’t seem to have the same issues with these things that we do. :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

My guess would be mid-20s, but don’t think it’s actually written anywhere.

I read an extra chapter last week and I’m almost done with the second week 4 chapter so I don’t remember exactly how much this is prevalent through week 3 but romantic relationships in this book look like they’re going to be… weird

2 Likes

Okay, finally finished the first chapter of this week, 不穏な空気はさらに高まる. :skull: Whew, dunno why it took me so long; I’m having to really concentrate on people’s dialog, I think. I’m hoping the second chapter goes a bit quicker; I might be a week behind for a bit until my brain can get into the groove enough to catch up. Maybe if I have a really productive weekend…

I need to write down the order of who was considered the next heir when, in case it’s important. And also, this has been bugging me: how is 祖父 supposed to be pronounced?
そふ or じじ? Something else? What about with honorifics like お祖父さま? I’ve been reading it as そふ since じじ felt way too informal, but I wanted to double-check since it’s been bugging me.

Strange things noticed in this chapter so far:

• Protag saw a “yellow blur” when walking with grandpa to go drinking

• While drinking protag heard a sound like something/someone falling down the stairs

I don’t think it’s been mentioned explicitly, at least not in chapter 4. :thinking:

…Just what book are you reading?

1 Like

彼女が好きなものはホモであって僕ではない it’s actually really good, I think, but that part was… :face_with_peeking_eye:
I very much did not expect it to go there… :flushed:

2 Likes

Ah, I just saw you posted in the Wat are you Reading thread; I’ll go check it out there. Thanks!

1 Like

My readings, but no guarantee for correctness.

おじいさま

そふ

2 Likes

Finished the week’s reading with two days to spare (I’m a week behind) :muscle:, so I can hopefully read and finish week 4’s chapters and be caught up for week 5. X.X I think I was so slow this week because of the huge jump in page count; I’m glad to see week 4 is almost 10 pages less, at least, and that no other week gets this high. @.@

Anyway, I was a little disappointed with the setup; specifically, I was hoping that iteration 2 of the day would be mostly the same, but with murder, allowing for the potential of a second person with time-looping powers that 久太郎 doesn’t know about to be causing the mayhem. Unfortunately there was a rather large change in iteration 1 vs. 2: 久太郎 not going to drink with his grandfather. Disappointing, but ah well.

ルナ and 富士高 seem too obvious for sure; they feel like the “let’s get our feet wet” for detective readers rather than either being the actual murder. Off-the-cuff guess for now: 友理; キョ子 hasn’t gotten enough screen time to be suspicious for the moment. My eyes are also locked firmly on 槌矢 (just realized as I double-checked his kanji I’ve been pronouncing his name as つちや this whole time :person_facepalming:).

2 Likes

But it is つちや…? That’s what my copy shows in the character list

1 Like

Ah, no, you’re right; I was reading too fast and mistakenly put the り in りゅういち with his last name.

1 Like