赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う Week 3

Welcome to week three of 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う !

Home thread for announcements, wiki, etc

We are following the below schedule (page counts may vary based on your medium):

Week Up to
Week 3 - April 29th Read all of chapter 3

I will generally copy this information over thread to thread each week for ease of finding - you can always expect the schedule at the top of any weekly thread :slight_smile:

:policeman: Law and Order :policewoman:

• Any reveals, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.
  • You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly
  • Be kind about other peoples’ wild guesses :sparkling_heart:
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.

To gauge participation - a poll!

Are you reading week 1 of 赤ずきん、旅の途中で死体と出会う ?

• Yes, I’m planning to read along/am reading along this week
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I’m just following the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters

Happy sleuthing! :male_detective:

Seems like we have one more week to go. I am genuinely glad we decided on this fast pace, because I probably might have dropped the book otherwise. Maybe it’s the audio-only, maybe (definitely) it’s me, but I am just not vibing with this. I really liked the idea of retelling fairytales as crime stories but I am just so bored while listening. There is no tension for me. :melting_face:

6 Likes
up to section 4

What are those names? :smiley: Kissen (pillow), Schnarchen (snoring), Gähnen (yawning), Guten Schlaf (good sleep).

Other than that, so far I find this story more interesting than the last one, let’s see where it’ll go.

5 Likes

Yeah that was my reaction listening to them as well. I really loved the concept but I’m not sure I see myself buying any more books from this series :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

5 Likes

I actually think I might buy more in this series at some point! It’s a very comfortable reading experience which always appeals haha. The slightly wacky vibes also make me laugh. But I can understand why it wouldn’t be for everyone.

I’m about halfway through this week’s reading and I’m finding the katakana names absolutely wild. Are they meant to sound Germanic? It always bugs me when I can’t work out a katakana word or name :smiling_face_with_tear:

5 Likes

Yes, but some even I can’t figure out as a German speaker :sweat_smile: but I translated some in my post. I wrote them down in their German spelling and not Katakana though, hope you can figure out which one is which Katakana wise :laughing: I can add the Katakana later on though.

For me it is very distracting to have those random German words in there to be honest, mostly because they are a bit too silly. Otherwise I agree with your sentiment that the book is nice since it is a comfortable reading experience. The pacing of the club is a bit much for me though, I think I will read the other books a bit more leisurely if I continue :smiley:

3 Likes

Omg I just saw your post properly and what on earth are those names :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I was surprised such an aggressive pace was voted on :sweat_smile: it’s actually outside of the listed fastest pace for the Mystery Club, but it’s a small club this time and I wasn’t going to go against the poll when it was so overwhelmingly in one direction

5 Likes

Revisiting that poll, it was only two out of three voters who voted for the fast pace, looks like. Granted, this book has had one of the smaller groups of participating readers so far iirc.

3 Likes

We can always take a break for a week, if people need to catch up. I don’t mind. I just prefer getting through a chapter in 1 go, so I adapt my own pacing to that. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s a big deal. I’m almost done with this chapter, and the next chapter is the last week anyway, so if I take a week longer than everyone else, it won’t be a big hurdle I guess :smiley:

3 Likes

I finished the chapter!

spoilers

Interesting cliffhanger :eyes: I’m really curious how this will end, I didn’t expect there to be more backstory regarding Red Riding Hood.

All in all, I was lost the whole time in this chapter and I think a lot of it went over my head. I felt that the difficulty increased quite a bit, but that could also be because there is a big cast (always a problem for me with Japanese books :sweat_smile: ).

3 Likes

I had the exact same problem with this chapter. I remember I had to listen to it at least twice and was still a bit ?? on a few characters.

5 Likes

Ok so the family resemblance section at the end confused me a bit… But I found this a fun story, even if there were too many characters with not enough defining characteristics imo. It was also a sadder variant on Sleeping Beauty than the ballet version I recently watched - in the ballet, the fairy puts the whole castle to sleep for a hundred years, not just Aurora!

Also I loved the spicy twist at the end with Red Riding Hood’s mission :grin: I feel like the rapid pace really suited this book!

5 Likes

I also had more trouble with this chapter, specially in the beginning part. Luckily the explanation in the end was on the easier side.
I think this is a great audio only book though: You already know the base story, some characters, and the audio has small breaks between sentences that you can use to think of what you just heard.
Hopefully the last one isn’t too difficult.

4 Likes