Week 4 of 7️⃣ 七回死んだ男 💀

Welcome to week 4 of 七回死んだ男 !

As a reminder, we are following the below schedule (page counts may vary based on your medium):

Week 1 とりあえず事件のさわりだけでも + 主人公は設定を説明する 19 pages

Week 2 登場人物たちが一堂に会す 24 pages

Week 3 不穏な空気はさらに高まる + そして事件は起きる 47 pages

Week 4 やっぱり事件は起きる + しつこく事件は起きる 38 pages

Week 5 まだまだ事件は起きる 27 pages

Week 6 それでも事件は起きる + 嫌でも事件は起きる 34 pages

Week 7 事件は最後にあがく + そして誰も死ななかったりする 28 pages

Week 8 事件は逆襲する + 螺旋を抜けるとき + 時の螺旋は終わらない 34 pages

I will generally copy this information over thread to thread each week for ease of finding - you can always expect the schedule at the top of any weekly thread :slight_smile:

:policeman: Law and Order :policewoman:

• Any reveals, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.

• Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.

• You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly

• Be kind about other peoples’ wild guesses :sparkling_heart:

• Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.

To gauge participation - a poll!

Are you reading week 4?

• Yes, I’m planning to read along/am reading along this week
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I had no intentions of reading the book, but I desire to click a poll

0 voters

Happy sleuthing! :male_detective:

Going in I thought there was a singular murderer, but it seems more like it’s just that Kyutaro is the only one in the family who can stand spending an afternoon with grandpa without murdering him

3 Likes

Posted this in the wrong week at first… :see_no_evil:

Did I understand this correctly or did I whitenoise over something important: The murderer on day 1 is not the same as on day 2? :thinking:

It’s definitely starting to be more interesting now. Too many characters that I don’t care about. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just caught up to this week!

I think Kyuutaro’s theory of there being multiple murderers is all wrong and is a red herring to mislead us. I don’t know yet have any evidence they’re the actual murderer, but my gut instinct is Tomori because she also interacted with Kyuutaro the first day (in a very positive manner!) but hasn’t in the following iterations. Maybe his marriage proposal is what stopped the murder, not his being alone with grandpa.

Also it would be a nice emotional twist for the MC’s love interest to be the murderer :joy:

2 Likes

Tell me you like drama, without telling me you like drama. :rofl:

2 Likes

Finished this week. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

How about there is not 1 murderer, but all of them, apart form our MC? Like independendly from each other, all of them have plans to murder him. And everyday someone else succeeds… :rofl:

Also, I really cannot remember Japanese names … in the next chapter they give you the furigana again… not like me reading 兄さん constantly as せしおっとにいさん or anything… no… would never do that. :see_no_evil:
(tbf, I am not good at remembering names in other languages… but I can at least read those correctly. :face_with_peeking_eye:)

2 Likes

I feel like the names in this book are mostly hard to remember. I’d want to say it’s because it’s old but it’s only from the 90s! There are a couple characters I had no trouble with but the rest were straight up memorization.

1 Like

Finished this week’s chapters on time yesterday. :partying_face: Hopefully I won’t be falling behind again now that the reading sessions should be a bit shorter. Anyway, I’m enjoying the thought that everything besides 久太郎 is going to/capable of murder, haha. Though like @cat I’ve been considering if it could be a red herring. I’m kind of leaning towards the red herring for the simple reason that there’s not going to be much mystery otherwise; it would end up more like a puzzle.

Maybe there’s someone behind the scenes egging everyone on? So while person X on day A is actually killing granddad, they probably wouldn’t have done it normally if person? hadn’t put the idea in their heads? In which case I could also definitely see it being 友理, for the simple reason that she hasn’t popped up much since that first iteration of Jan. 2.

I’m also wondering how well 久太郎’s going to be able to keep up with keeping an ever-growing number of people distracted and away from the 母屋 as the days pass.

1 Like