Natively page
Spanish fiction bookclub
Homepage La Ciudad de las Bestias
Collaborative google sheets

Chapter Start date Title End page Pgs in Ch. Wk #
5 15 Apr El chamán 74 12 5
6 15 Apr El plan 82 8 5

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post your thoughts.
  • The google sheets is here to help you with vocab, grammar and anything else you might need. Feel free to add to it!

Are you joining us for week 5?

• Yes
  • I’m reading at my own pace
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
0 voters
2 Likes

Don’t forget that this week, we’re reading two chapters! It’s still the same length in pages as last week however (20 pages).

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up! :scream::sweat_drops:
I have only three days off this week (I’ve been keeping the time intensive reading for this book to my off days, since I work full day shifts when I’m on), so its going to be a bit rough. If all else fails, I’ll just have to catch up some other, lighter week. :muscle:

4 Likes

Next week will be a little lighter, the same as chapter 2, then another 20 page chapter, and for week 8 it’ll be only 8 pages (a funny coincidence). So you’ll have that opportunity to catch up later if needed.

I say this and I still haven’t read last week’s chapter, because I mostly focused on other bookclubs (and I sarted Sin noticias de Gurb | L33?? , which I’ve been reading this week instead of this) :melting_face:.

4 Likes

I have done this weeks reading, again very enjoyable. Like the Harry Potter book club, now we are getting into the story it’s hard to not carry on to the next chapter!

More new characters - we have two bad guys and a fantastic chamán. Also loving Nadia’s character. Alex did very well keeping quiet with that snake around his leg!

4 Likes

Done early this week as well. :partying_face: What could the bad guys be planning? I hope La Bestia is real and they want to capture and sell it. :eyes: Much more interesting than some political scheme to get rights to colonize/mine/harvest a section of rainforest, at least.

Still liking Nadia; she seems like she has a good head on her shoulders. Alex, you need to eat. :stuck_out_tongue: I promise, this stuff is fine. Granted, I can’t be too hard on him; I too was once a very picky kid…

4 Likes

Thanks for the break down! Shifts at work got shuffled around a bit due to a colleague getting sick, so instead I only have Sunday off this week. Good stuff, work. Instead I’ve next week completely off though! So I’ve kind of written off Spanish this week, but hopefully I can manage to catch up next. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Seriously! I thought this might be the point he breaks, for a moment, since he was hungry all chapter.

Things are picking up! Pretty suspenseful. :slight_smile:

First chapter I finished in a day! Not that El plan is a very long chapter, haha.

4 Likes

Finally finished reading both chapters! The audiobook went a lot easier for these; dunno why. Maybe I just listened to them in a better frame of mind. I feel like I was able to understand most of what happened just from listening, though as always I missed a lot of details that I only caught when reading.

I was also a fellow picky eater, haha, so I both empathize with Alex and also feel less forgiving of his eating habits because of it… What ended up snapping me out of it was living in the dorms in undergrad and having to eat cafeteria food, which was admittedly a gentler experience than what he’s going through… I believe in him, though!

4 Likes