Week 6 of 🤸 体育館の殺人 🔪 | Mystery Novel Book Club

Welcome to week 6 of 体育館の殺人!

As a reminder, we are following the below schedule (page counts may vary based on your medium):
Week 1: Misc + 1.1, 1.2 (29 pages)
Week 2: 1.3, 1.4 (26 pages)
Week 3: 1.5, 1.6 (40 pages)
Week 4: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 (43 pages)
Week 5: 2.4, 2.5 (32 pages)
Week 6: 3.1, 3.2, 3.3(34 pages)
Week 7: 3.4, 3.5 (37 pages)
Week 8: 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 挑戦 (56 pages)
Week 9+10 (EXTENDED WEEK): 5.1 - end (78 pages)

I will generally copy this information over thread to thread each week for ease of finding - you can always expect the schedule at the top of any weekly thread :slight_smile:

:policeman: Law and Order :policewoman:

• Any reveals, for the current chapters must be behind spoilers or detail curtains. When we get further in you don’t need to hide details that were revealed in previous chapters.
  • Questions on vocab, grammar, nuance, and the like are both welcome and encouraged. If you’re not sure if it’s a spoiler, assume it is and use one of the above options to hide the text.
  • You are encouraged to speculate and guess wildly
  • Be kind about other peoples’ wild guesses :sparkling_heart:
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post in the thread for that reading once you have finished it. I advise not reading ahead in the threads as you may see spoilers.

To gauge participation - a poll!

Are you reading week 6 ?

• Yes, I’m planning to read along/am reading along this week
  • I’m reading, but not at the same pace as the club
  • I had no intentions of reading the book, but I desire to click a poll

0 voters

Happy sleuthing! :male_detective:

I finally feel like we’re getting some real evidence to work off of! And, as usual, I’m going with the explanations that feel the most fun.

1. The two student council members who have only each other for an alibi. So much more is possible with a lookout!

2. The straight laced seeming #2-on-grades student council dude. Can’t be bothered to check names. He wore a wig (to be the unknown girl spotted) and bore a grudge for something the victim recorded of him

I also more listened than read this section so I may have some fuzzy details.

5 Likes

I got a bad feeling from Masaki when he first showed up. Was hoping we’d get something juicier when we interviewed him the second time, but… guess not.

Anyone understand the pop culture(?) reference they were going for with Shiina’s name?

4 Likes

I forgot the names mentioned, but if I remember correctly, I could find them on this page:

2 Likes

Hmmm, very helpful, but any idea which of these they’re actually referring to? xD Are any of them the student council treasurer in the show/game they show up in?

1 Like

There is a lightnovel series ( 生徒会の一存), but the treasurer is female (椎名 真冬). :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I’m using an audiobook, so it’s a bit of a pain to find anything. Can you remind me what name(s?) he was expecting?

Finished this week’s reading earlier than my usual time. Man, I hope these by-the-minute and, at one point, by-the-second locations of everyone isn’t what the final solution hinges on. I am not gonna remember any of these details. :scream:

Speaking of which, am I the only one who finds it unrealistic that these random students know exactly they were at at 3:04 or whatever? Like, I know we’ve had accusations of unrealism already, but this is what really gets me, haha. No one’s going to be staring at a clock, and people are notoriously bad at judging time.

4 Likes

I do. I don’t even know what time it is right now (just that it’s sometime after the start of my lunch break :p)

4 Likes

I can only assume it’s due to have strict schedules of classes/club activities that people are maybe paying attention. But frankly when my coworkers ask me on Monday what I did over the weekend my brain goes blank and I’m couldn’t tell you what I was doing for 2 entire days :joy:

5 Likes

Same! :rofl: I also forget weeks and months if a friend I haven’t seen for a while asks for my life updates, and I always have to recalculate my age when asked. :see_no_evil: No way would I know the precise minute I did something, unless it was for something super important where timeliness would be an issue, like exams. But even then I’d probably try and be early and then I’d lose track of time again. No way I’d pay attention to the exact minute while doing what I do every day - even if being on time is relatively important, the fact that I’d be repeating the same actions every day would mean I’d probably never look at my watch after the first couple of times. Also, there’s no way I’d be able to tell you how many seconds I was anywhere, especially following the shock of discovering a dead body.

I’ve given up on noting down names and times and other details. I’m enjoying the more casual flow of the audiobook, but this will probably mean I’ll have forgotten important information by the end. So be it. Unless the book helpfully recaps everything?

Random question: There are several unconnected buildings in this school, and even the connected ones apparently have several entrances and can be accessed from outside. How do people handle the shoe changes? I believe normally shoes are left in one designated place, then indoor shoes are worn throughout. But what if you have to go out, then back in another way?

5 Likes

Same here. I’m low key hoping the 挑戦 section has, like, a handy chart or something.

2 Likes

I wonder if there will be any twists coming up :thinking: like a second murder hopefully it’s not just rehashing the crime scene again with more suspects!

3 Likes

I finished the reading a bit later than usual this week, but I’m glad I managed to get to it before next week’s opens up. It seems a little strange that we’re only getting to see more suspects halfway through the book, but there’s still a lot of pages left for not development. Glad my theory about 柚乃 getting information from her brother was right! It should be easier to understand 裏染’s reasoning now that he knows everything we do… Right?

5 Likes