Spanish fiction bookclub
Homepage La Ciudad de las Bestias
Collaborative google sheets

Edit Table

Edit Table

Chapter Start date Title End page Pgs in Ch. Wk #
8 29 Apr La expediciĂłn 116 20 7

Discussion Guidelines

• Spoilers should always be hidden using spoiler blur.
  • When discussing a specific section, please mention where you are in the book so people reading different versions have a clear point of reference.
  • Feel free to read ahead if it’s exciting, but please refrain from spoiling ahead of the appropriate week.
  • If you have a question about grammar, vocab, cultural things, etc - ask! That’s a welcome part of the discussion too, and other readers will be happy to help.
  • Even if you don’t read the chapter(s) in time, you are still encouraged to post your thoughts.
  • The google sheets is here to help you with vocab, grammar and anything else you might need. Feel free to add to it!

Are you joining us for week 7?

• Yes
  • I’m just here for the discussion :popcorn:
  • I’m reading at my own pace
0 voters
2 Likes

This week’s key vocab:

Loro - parrot
Cotorra - parrot
Papagayo - parrot
Guacamaya - parrot

This week’s thoughts

Wow, it suddenly got a lot more dangerous! One death and one near fatal anaconda attack! Now it feels like we are really in the jungle. Alex seems surprisingly chilled and showed bravery in helping fight the anaconda. I liked the end of the chapter where he could see his mother in the darkness. And is he getting less picky? Glad he tried the snake - what a surprise, it tasted like chicken!

3 Likes

:scream: :parrot:

2 Likes

Long chapter this week, but short one next~ Pretty bad burn on his dad’s pancakes; “I’d rather eat overcooked anaconda that was seconds away from killing a man than your pancakes”.

Thinking about it, it’s interesting how distant Alex can seem from things at times. I’m definitely appreciating it; I’d rather the current writing style than us getting to hear about how hot/tired/sticky/hungry/etc he probably is at all times. We also don’t get much of his feelings regarding the other members of the expedition; more seems to be him observing others’ reactions. There’s not even much bonding with his grandmother, interestingly.

3 Likes

I finished the chapter today - which means I should be able to strat the current weeks chapter this week, even! :joy:

I liked the chapter! Leblanc is showing to be more and more cruel and self-interested. He’s such a small person! If he’d gotten even a broken toe bone he’d be hopping on that boat to the nearest hospital ASAP. :roll_eyes: Oh well…

Alex finally started expanding his palate! I’m glad the book won’t end with him malnourished, haha.

3 Likes