What are you reading today?

Today I read along with two of the Wanikani Book Clubs, finishing chapter 5 of ちいさな森のオオカミちゃん 1 | L14 in the absolute beginner’s book club and reading chapter 2 of スーパーの裏でヤニ吸うふたり(1) | L24 in the Beginner’s Book Club.

Tomorrow the plan is to get to the manga I’m reading in my personal time 【マンガ】本好きの下剋上~司書になるためには手段を選んでいられません~第一部 「本がないなら作ればいい! 」 1 | L26 . My regular tabletop game got cancelled this week, so I might try and push to get the last 40 or so pages done. Despite being level 26 and smoking behind the supermarket, I’m actually finding smoking behind the supermarket much harder. I guess my pre-actually learning passive absorption of words from anime has equipped me a lot more for isekai vocab than for smoking and salaryman vocab.

12 Likes

I am quite enjoying 世界からボクが消えたなら (キャベツの物語). I probably wouldn’t recommend reading it directly after 世界から猫が消えたなら | L27 as the underlying plot is - of course - the same and it might be a tad boring so close together. (I read the original about 2 years ago.)
There is a bit of banter between the cat and the demon and overall it has a much more light-hearted feel so far.

9 Likes

Last week I gave myself the goal of reading 2 hours of manga a day, but I have decided to decrease the time to 1 hour a day because I don’t think I have the time to force myself to spend 2 hours every single day :sweat_smile:

Also I have started reading くまクマ熊ベアー (series) | L22, which is apparently very popular in this webpage, with some people from my discord server. It’s very easy, but it could motivate me to continue reading some of the other light novels I have started :relieved:.

9 Likes

Well I had been planning on spending an equal time on Girls Blue and 2.43 or else prioritizing Girls Blue, but instead I’ve ended up prioritizing 2.43. I’ve reached the titular 代表決定戦 (which is like half of part 2), and even though I know how the match goes, I still don’t wanna put it down!! Not even just because of the character stuff that either didn’t make it into the anime or else got modified, but because the match is exciting

The other day, I predicted I’d finish it in a week and a half, but I think it’ll be a little sooner than that

10 Likes

So I finished

It’s not something groundbreaking but I enjoyed it. I understand the style of writing might not be for everyone though.

I do hope the issues I had with the first volume become less of a problem in the following ones. From my experience, when things come from a webnovel, at some point there’s a jump in quality of writing.

So far the biggest issue is when they drop plot bombs in just one-liner, and seem to leave it at that? We will see eventually…

I’ve put a vote to help me decide what to read next in the other thread, as I’m on the fence:

For now I’ll probably do a day or two of “resting” by reading manga instead.

10 Likes

I just finished this week’s portion of コップクラフト | L35 for the LN Bookclub and it’s getting spicy.

And I finally decided to make a physical TBR for the rest of the year. I am not a particularly strong mood reader, so I always struggle picking up something new and then I end up not reading for days. But with a TBR decided beforehand, I just take the next thing and start. :+1:t2:

TBR if someone is interested:

There are 20 books, which is doable - in theory - but whatever happens, I really want to start the Xmas stories one in December. I had been meaning to read it last year, but I forgot. :see_no_evil:

11 Likes

Well, I know which one you should read in December

:rofl:

2 Likes

Ooh, please let me know when you start reading きらきらひかる (in case you don’t mind company) as I wanted to read this for so long! (It’s nominated in one of the WK book clubs since ages ago but I guess I should just read it and not wait another eternity…)

2 Likes

as it is now, it will be in about 9 weeks, though if you are itching to start, I could bring it forward by a bit (to around August 7). :thinking:

3 Likes

That’s like end of September, right? Sounds perfect to me! (Not gonna promise anything though, as I am currently pretty swamped in book clubs, and today a first glimpse of maybe a new client appeared on the horizon :sweat_smile:)
So please don’t wait for me or anything - I‘d like to join you if possible, but if that doesn’t work out, then be it so.

6 Likes

I finished たくまし令嬢はへこたれない! ~妹に聖女の座を奪われたけど、騎士団でメイドとして働いています | L30?? yesterday.
I got it for free through a promotion on booklive (also available at other places) and… that’s about how much it is worth.
If I had to explain it in a few word, I’d say it reads like the reverse harem route of an otoge.
There’s a billion different hot guys and the main character has one (1) event with half of them (the book length being the limit) during which she has exactly the perfect personality to impress them (with no consistency with other events).
Based on reviews, it just keeps going in the next volumes, with no real plot to speak of.
That’s too bad, because I liked the premise (not a spoiler, that’s literally the first couple of page; main character is extremely mentally strong; despite getting her 婚約者 stolen and getting disowned by her family, she doesn’t care and just moves on… ALSO, she has crazy strong healing magic). I thought the healing would be more relevant, instead of being just flavor text, considering she is working for the 騎士団. You know who would need crazy healing? People who fight. And they know about it. But nah, better to have her clean the floor.

10 Likes

Onwards to 灰と幻想のグリムガル level.6 とるにたらない栄光に向かって | L30!! The writing in book 5 suddenly got significantly better than the previous volumes. So I’m excited to see where book 6 goes!

I’m still going to stick with the more “intensive reading” approach for this, since my comprehension still feels a bit hit or miss. I can’t say for sure, but I think my reading speed improved slightly (though it took me more days, since I had less available reading time, due to un-fun personal stuff)

7 Likes

@CatDQ I saw in my feed that you’re reading YabaQ. How is it? Very helpful?

2 Likes

I am, I’m finding it quite good. I like the explanations on the nuances of the particles. I find them quite simple but also quite thorough as well. I hope there are more books in the series. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That’s great to hear. I was surprised by the cheap price, so I’m even more likely to get it now. Thanks!

2 Likes

Just finished つれづれノート〈2〉 | L25. I quite enjoy those diaries. They are extremely quick reads with simple language and quite a few filler pages (photographs, drawings, …) and it’s almost like time travel. In this she referenced watching Charles & Diana’s wedding on TV. Oh boy is she in for a surprise. It’s also the year her (first) child was born and since we are already at 40+ volumes (1 vol spanning about a year), it will be fun to see how things go. Will her marriage last? (Her husband seems like a very traditional guy. I.e. she does all the housework and child-rearing while he goes off on overnight hiking trips, etc.) What will become of the child? Will there be siblings? :eyes:

Will probably also finish 世界からボクが消えたなら 映画「世界から猫が消えたなら」キャベツの物語 | L27?? today. It started off quite light-hearted, but, of course, with the subject matter, it was bound to become darker/sadder at some point. :face_holding_back_tears:

And after that I’ll be reading 未来のミライ | L28 next.

9 Likes

There is only a small selection of questions but the explanations are thorough. Just thought I’d say. I still think less than £1 is a pretty decent deal considering some of the costs of books now.

3 Likes

Hello everyone! 久しぶりですね!
I’m back home from 3 months of studying in Japan, where I bought plenty of new (to me) books but didn’t have time for much actual reading.

I was able to make good progress on 本好きの下剋上 (series) | L31 by listening to the audiobooks during my commute everyday, and I’m all the way to book 18 now! Unfortunately the audiobooks are only available up to book 19 at the moment, so I’ll have to switch back to print after the next one.

For now I’m reading a lot of the random manga I picked up from Bookoffs. Yesterday I read the first book of 葬送のフリーレン 1 | L26 which was really good (wish I’d picked up more of this series), and today I’m working on the last volume of あの日見た花の名前を僕達はまだ知らない。 3 | L24.

I also bought the 17 main volumes of 狼と香辛料 (series) | L35 hoping to get back into this series soon, especially with the new anime adaptation coming out next year(!). My other full-series purchase was 放浪息子 (series) | L27 which I can’t wait to read too!

I know I’ve been silent for awhile, but I’ll try to get back into the habit of updating here now that I have time again!

18 Likes

I finished 2.43 清陰高校男子バレー部 代表決定戦編 2 | L28 today! I wanna jump immediately into the next volume (well, tomorrow; it’s already past 10 p.m. now), but on the other hand, I won’t be getting next4years until at least October probably, and I want 春高編 to last until then and I apparently have trouble pacing myself with this series even when it’s a part where I already know what happens, so. We’ll see what I decide tomorrow, I guess. My pile of unread, recently bought (and even a couple not recently, though those are on my shelf) novels have also been loudly calling my name for the past few days…

10 Likes

I am making good progress with 未来のミライ | L28. I remember that I didn’t like the movie much, but I couldn’t remember what it was even about. Now that I remember, I also know why I didn’t like the movie. The parents suck. The grandparents suck. I feel for the little guy. And if I remember correctly, the parents never apologize and peace is only restored to the family when Kun-chan “grows up”. Wrong message. When you suddenly turn the world of a 4-year old upside-down, the parents need to explain things, not just ignore the child that is literally screaming for attention. And the rest of the family also has to make sure to show him, he is still loved. Poor fella.

7 Likes