What are you reading today?

Got a three-day weekend ahead of me, so I’m hoping to finish/get real close to finishing FLESH & BLOOD 1 | L33, which I’ve been working on for the past month. Really good book so far; heavy on the historical terms, but the grammar’s not been too bad. I’ve been keeping track of all the new words I’ve added to the endless Anki decks, so I’ll be curious to see the final total. I don’t think it’ll overtake my #1 vocab pile atm (薬屋のひとりごと 1 | L37, with 1647 words pulled), but it’s still going to be quite a few.

I need to pick an easier book next so I can pretend I know enough Japanese to read without burying my nose in a dictionary every other sentence. :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

This is also on my list! Can you spoil it for me?

:blurryeyes: I’m getting more and more exciting. But it is good to know that you find it to me more character-centric. Maybe a time of coming of age?

You are fine with spoilers? Didn’t it ruin the enjoyment? :thinking:

Anyways, the culprit’s motivation is so lame IMO, it’s like an angry teenager having a tantrum even though they’re an adult. Basically they did the crime because they were upset with the Japanese company’s job recruiting system and just wanted to create chaos. It’s so one dimensional and lacks depth which is one thing I really hate especially if it’s as important as a “main villain”. To be fair their reasoning kind of makes sense, though I think the character can be more than that which is why I think it’s such a wasted potential.

Having said all of these it’s actually not all bad, there is some good too. I will write the full review once I finish the book, which takes 2-3 days hopefully.

1 Like

that probably fits well… :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks for the offer! I’ll probably be fine, it’ll just be slooooooow (and with copious use of dictionaries/Yomichan).

It sure would be a fitting thing for a community around reading :smiley:

6 Likes

By the way, if you (or anyone else) don’t want to post spoilers in this thread, there’s the spoiler thread as well :slight_smile:

(It’s obviously completely optional, since we have spoiler tags anyway)

2 Likes

I’d love to see this one day; I can imagine a book club dedicated to providing gradings for books, for instance, try to fill in the holes for overlooked books.

7 Likes

I shall make everyone read all the Manga Time Kirara series mwahaha!

4 Likes

Yes, I think this is pretty inevitable if we grow big enough ^^.

I’ll obviously offer platform support for them as well… but doesn’t make sense to do that until we’re big enough. Major reasons why I just need to keep doing outreach xD

7 Likes

N2 papers today :face_vomiting:

It’s been said before, but the reading sections are very different to novels.

6 Likes

Done! I’m kind of surprised with myself; I sat down this morning to finish up the penultimate chapter, then just kind of kept going (with a break for lunch). Really enjoyed the book; I’m super looking forward to starting book 2 in August (been reading it with a group on Wanikani).

I’ll probably take a short break from JP reading just to recharge, but after that I’m waffling between starting 薬屋のひとりごと 2 | L38 or something a bit easier. :thinking:

3 Likes

Finished かがみの孤城 yesterday and was a bit lost as to what I wanna read next… so now I started 2 books… :sweat_smile:

I wanted to wait with this until I knew the series was finished, but after how season 3 ended, I just can’t… :flushed:

My first 乙一. I hope it’s decent. :face_with_peeking_eye:

6 Likes

The なろう version is finished. Anyway, there are only a few volumes left to publish.
I did not watch the anime, but once I reached the last published volume at the time, I couldn’t stop and just through everything that was left. (And I still read the published version as well :joy:)

3 Likes

I finished 砦の魔女 1 yesterday and it was average, I guess. The premise sounded interesting, but in the end there isn’t much tension. The only reason why the romance isn’t resolved in 30 pages is because the main character is almost pathologically bad at it.

“SurE He SAid ‘I love you’ ANd kISs me, but MayBe hE MeANt soMeTHinG ELsE”

Being “unaware” is not cutting it at that point.

6 Likes

The girl on the left almost looks like another version of the main character from New Game! .

1 Like

(Responded to a now-deleted post.)

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like mentioning something that happens in book 7 is a pretty big spoiler for a review of the first book in the series… Some people like to go into a series pretty blind, and even knowing how quickly the story progresses or high level information about where the main character will be later can take away some enjoyment. I happen to not be interested in this series, so no harm to me in this case, but if someone had mentioned that kind of information to me about 本好き before I started that series / after reading the first book, I would have been pretty annoyed.

4 Likes

Discourse not showing that you are replying to a message (and that message being deleted too, for reasons I cannot understand) makes your own post look a bit strange :joy:

I don’t see the review you are talking about either, so I guess it was deleted as well?

4 Likes

It’s a bit weird behaviour but it works like this:

• If the reply is directly below the one you are replying it, it doesn’t say (I personally don’t like this).

• If you do a full quote of a post, it gets deleted and converted into a reply.

How I deal with it:

• I do partial quotes, so the system doesn’t delete the quote, like in this message. Just select part of the message you are replying it and click “Quote”

Back on Topic, since I recently watched the series, I’ve been reading 「マンガ」 転生したらスライムだった件 (series) | L26 . Eventually I’d like to go with the light novels, but they are out of my league right now.

4 Likes

There’s a setting to force it to always show who you’re replying to (WaniKani forum has this set). I will say it has its good and bad aspects in this case. The problem with it always showing is that (on desktop) I’ll click the icon to show the responded-to post, but when it’s from immediately above it’s really awkward since it now shows the same post twice in a row. That said, I think that oddity is still better than not knowing whether someone responded to the previous post or to the topic in general.

This one we also have disabled on the WaniKani forums and I’ve seen no negative to that change at all. It’s hugely beneficial to see quotes and I’ve never seen a problem with quoting full posts (particularly small posts).

CC @brandon - feel free to message me or cross post to the general Natively topic if you want to discuss these settings.

6 Likes

Today I finished the third chapter of 世にも奇妙な商品カタログ 2.
Somehow I felt the need to read something else beside this series so I started with:

At the moment I’m only at chapter 4, but I do like it so far. The game is just about to start.

4 Likes