What are you reading today?

Great, thanks for sharing! I never even fill in the entertainment rating, because for me the overall rating and entertainment rating are pretty much one in the same. I fill in the language learning rating for the first volume of a series most of the time, but I don’t bother for subsequent volumes, and it has no influence on my overall rating. So you could say I also rate very subjectively. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, one of the easiest doesn’t exclude other books from being as easy (or easier).

Also, if I had a time machine, I would have recommended 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった... (series) | L26 to myself as a first book. So I am denying :stuck_out_tongue: (the supremacy and genius part, I mean)

1 Like

Actually, I think its just a notch above くま🐻

The first chapter was incredibly easy though. Kuma kuma repeats a lot of the harder vocabulary which really helps too

赤川 次郎 has written books for various ages, but his style is generally easy to read. Some of his older books have some odd readings and kanji usage such as 停る and 屛風 though.

2 Likes

Don’t tell the bear fans that I said this but I think I would much rather read the villainess book over the bear book. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: The bear book just has too many books! If I run out of super easy stuff one day, kuma three times bear is the last thing I would turn to. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Today I finished かくりよの宿飯 after only three weeks, so I’m quite happy with that! It was my fourth novel in Japanese and I really enjoyed reading it. But I think I’ll take a break now and read some manga for a few days, haha.

11 Likes

Finished 夜カフェ 1 (quick and easy as expected, good for beginners and surprisingly engaging) and started 本好きの下剋上 2, which is even longer than vol 1… :skull:

6 Likes

Just wait for volume 3 :eyes:

(I’m pretty sure volume 3 is by far the longest, at least up to what I have read.)

2 Likes

I’m working through conversation connectors and confident keigo by Olly richards. Just finished confident kanji, amazing adjectives and adverbs and 101 essential Japanese verbs yesterday so working through these two now.

The stories are simple enough (n5-n4 grammar) but the topic of the book gets progressively more difficult as you go. For instance in confident kanji the kanji used progress through n5-n1 level.

My next read will be another set of graded reader books then go on to some more kanji books for the moment.

6 Likes

I started with

some days ago. It’s rather difficult for me, because there are still so many kanji without furigana that I don’t know. I’m trying to read around 5 pages per day. Probably will reread this one at some point.
On the more easier side, I’m trying to read a chapter of 夜カフェ 2 each evening. Depending on how much time I have.

3 Likes

Going off of how many people have it wishlisted, it seems that a lot of people (including me) want to read that book. Let us know how it is when you finish!

2 Likes

Recently, I have been reading 吸血鬼の劣等感 | L31 because my burning passion to read more 吸血鬼 cannot be suppressed by a single book. I’m about 50% through and honestly don’t really like it so far. Maybe I should stop gambling with weird obscure 0-review Amazon books. :sweat_smile:

The last 吸血鬼 book I read, 恋する・ヴァンパイア | L31 wasn’t amazing but at least the ridiculous plot was “funny-bad” at times: “Let’s let the bad guy vampire man sleep in our home because he says he’s a part of the Asia vampire association! So what if he has no credentials? Vampire murders start occurring in Japan right after he showed up even though it’s been established from the beginning of the book that there are absolutely no other vampires in the country? I’m sure he has nothing to do with it!”. That sort of dumbassery.

吸血鬼の劣等感 feels like one of those books where the main character is the least interesting. Her only “personality trait” for the first quarter of the book was “handsome man blood good, ugly man blood bad eww”. It kinda just repeated a cycle of “go to shit job I hate” → “go to lunch with stupid airhead friend” [insert tons of food vocabulary I don’t know] → “go home and drink hot foreign man blood wine” [insert even more food vocabulary I don’t know]. Got tiresome pretty quickly. It’s taking me longer than I expected and I just want to get it over with at this point. :face_exhaling:

I “started” NHKにようこそ! | L33 because I accidentally read more of the preview than I meant to(I felt like reading anything else than the book I was currently reading), so I thought I might as well just count it as reading even though I know I probably won’t finish it for a while.

6 Likes

I will. Although at that reading pace, it might take a little :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Just wanted to drop by and say that I’ve been thoroughly enjoying your 吸血鬼 reviews and quest! :smiley:

3 Likes

Still reading:

5 Likes

I’ve finally finished

Thats a bit of a deal to me because reading that series was a goal of mine pretty early on.

Next I’ll catch up with quite a few ongoing manga series. Then I’ll make another attempt at 本好きの下剋上~司書になるためには手段を選んでいられません~第一部「兵士の娘1」 | L31 . I already read half of the first volume. But then I discovered jpdb.io and decided to study the books vocabulary and I haven’t read it in months. I think I’ll re-read from the start together with the audiobook. It’s such al long series, it’s a bit daunting.

In between 本好き vomes I plan on reading the other volumes (starting with 2) of 魔女の宅急便 2 | L26 .

I think that will keep me occupied for a long time.

7 Likes

I’m continuing to read through 世にも奇妙な商品カタログ 1 インスタント死神・友だちクジ他 | L24! Just finished the 3rd story, which was as dark as the title「処刑セット」implied. And now I’m really curious for the 4th one, which has the strangely out of place sounding title「冬しか買えないアイスクリーム」. The fact that it only sounds slightly quirky as opposed to full on weird, and super innocent on top, makes me even more curious of what makes it remarkable enough to be part of the catalog.

3 Likes

Currently reading:

• 海辺のカフカ with a WK Bookclub
  • このすば4 - Getting a bit stale, though.
  • かがみの孤城 - Started this on a whim today as I saw it talked about a lot.

I have a lot of downtime this week dog-sitting, so maybe I’ll get more than average read.

8 Likes

Started reading グラスホッパー | L35. I know I already propose it for Mystery Novel Book Club and the voting hasn’t even finished yet but I just can’t resist it. Besides, judging from the current vote it’s very unlikely to get chosen and hopefully it stays that way :joy:

6 Likes

Finished 本好き 2 :sweat_drops: and started with 夜カフェ 2 but I think I will read 探偵チームKZ事件ノート バレンタインは知っている | L27 first. It’s been a while since I read one in the series and I want to have made it through most of my paperbooks before I go to Japan again… (march/april 2023, keeping fingers crossed)

4 Likes

Good day, nativeliers(?). I hope you all are having another great day reading.

Today, I started reading ヴァンパイア大使アンジュ 1 兄妹そろって、吸血鬼!?の巻 | L23 because I felt like I was drowning in dictionary lately and wanted to get back to reading something easier. At this point, it seems like I can handle most purple books relatively fine but I start feeling the heat once I enter orange territory. :hot_face:

I chose this book for the obvious reasons. It’s probably the easiest 吸血鬼-related book/series out there. I have been avoiding kid’s books for a while but it has ヴァンパイア in the title so I will happily read it, no questions asked :slightly_smiling_face:. Plus, it’s cute, you can’t go wrong with cute stuff. Difficulty-wise, it feels somewhere in-between ポレポレ日記 いざ、流星学園へ! | L21 and 金の月のマヤ 1 黒のエルマニオ | L26, so definitely an easier book. I’ll almost certainly end up reading all the volumes since there is no way I could bear looking at 1/7 finished on my library page.

6 Likes