What are you reading today?

It wont’ accept any of my cards in audible. I used to be able to get away with a JCB card, but my bank stopped issuing them. But they still allow me to buy them despite being “region locked”. Just not the subscription which is annoying.

As for the kindle, I get away by putting a Japanese address and a burner phone number I used to have, but the cards work just fine.

1 Like

funny, how kindle is working for you and not me, but audible is the other way around… amazon is just weird. :rofl:

Yep, just tried, VPN and all

no dice.

that sucks :sob:

(message needs more letters - filler)

2 Likes

Hold on, my regional audible has them :rofl:

Edit: but seems like my audible region doesn’t have the free credit thing, and there’s only 13 volumes published for some reason.

3 Likes

Amazon region locking really is the worst, I struggled with it briefly before realizing the 本好き audiobooks were available in the US and I could get everything I wanted from Kindle off of Bookwalker much more easily (even if their interface is a bit rough). I did set up an Amazon JP account at one point though, I think I found a guide for changing your country of residence and payment method without a real Japanese address or card, but unfortunately I can’t seem to find it now.

As a fun side note, you can have two amazon accounts in different regions with the same email but different passwords, and when you log into the app the password you use determines which account and region it connects to… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

5 Likes

I ended using audible USA instead of Spain because Spain doesn’t have all volumes and their plan doesn’t include having credits to own the books.

I’ll see how to preserve the files just in case, as it’s not the first time that Amazon deletes content from one of my accounts

1 Like

Search for inAudible. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, I read about that but while I was looking for it, I found a solution that doesn’t involve software at all.

You just need to know your magic number and use good ol’ ffmpeg.

5 Likes

Slowly getting back into things after the JLPT :melting_face:

I am trying my first physical 11文字の殺人 | L29 , which is an experience – restricting lookups, etc.

I really should get back into the book club though :thinking:

1 Like

I wonder if an Amazon.jp gift card would work? They can be picked up on various sites (or a conbini if you get a chance!)

The Audible premium requires a card, that way they can check the region of the card and lock you out.

Sometimes they don’t properly know the region of the card, and the transaction goes through, but yeah that’s the main reason why you can’t pay with gift cards.

Meanwhile for books it should be fine as long as you have a billing address in Japan.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to get back into consistent reading since slacking off right before (and after) the JLPT, but I did buy and read 神様がうそをつく。 | L25 yesterday. I don’t even remember where I first heard of it, it’s been on my to-read list for ages because I couldn’t find a physical copy anywhere. I finally gave up and bought the ebook version instead. It’s a single-volume 青春ドラマ manga with the classic theme of ‘young people carrying way too much responsibility,’ and I really enjoyed it. I’ve started to appreciate short, self-contained stories like this a lot more recently, and this is a great one.

I’m also working through 体育館の殺人 | L30 with the book club and am about two-thirds through かがみの孤城 | L28, both of which have been a bit slow lately, but should pick up now that I’m reaching the end.

5 Likes

It’s similarly been on my to-read list forever. I think I first added it right before the physical version got discontinued, but I missed my chance unfortunately. So now it’s on my “if I’m ever really desperate and out of stuff to read I’ll get to it” list. There’s just so much to read out there! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I started reading 葉桜の季節に君を想うということ | L38, which I just randomly found in my library. I had heard good reviews about it from some booktubers, so decided to give it a go. Glad to see it’s on natively and on level 38, because I am really struggling at times! I guess not all detective fiction is created equal. Where do these writers find all these new words and expressions…

So far I’m enjoying it, but only about 100 pages in.

5 Likes

As per poll I started 本好きの下剋上~司書になるためには手段を選んでいられません~第一部「兵士の娘3」 | L31 recently and am already 1/2 through… I forgot how quickly they read for me. Either Level 31 is the sweet spot for me or this series in particular just hits all the right vocab and grammar.

Happy Holidays, everyone! :christmas_tree: :gift: :bell: :star: :clinking_glasses:

7 Likes

How are you so fast :smiling_face_with_tear:

After the JLPT shock, I restarted reading 本好きの下剋上~司書になるためには手段を選んでいられません~第一部「兵士の娘1」 | L30 but I’m going at a much slower pace.

Also I have ~13ish of it’s audiobooks reading, as I’ll be doing the second pass reading along it.

2 Likes

本好き club let’s go! I’m currently reading book 17. I have around 25% left and plan to finish before end of year.

5 Likes

I guess I should check in too! I’m on book 9, listening to the audiobook, but I actually haven’t listened in a while. I’m right before the chapter called 入れ替わり生活 which is a full three times longer than normal chapters, so I’m a little scared… :laughing:

4 Likes

It’s really only the 本好き series, though… I read it in ebook format and then listen to the audiobook on my commute… everytime I return to something else, I feel so slow… :face_holding_back_tears: tbf, I watched the anime before, so maybe that helps with comprehension… we will see in… volume 8? when the story continues past the anime… :see_no_evil:

4 Likes