What are you reading today?

I hope you all are having a great time reading. What are you reading today?

2 Likes

I just finished the first volume of 외국인을 위한 한국어 읽기.

I’d been meaning to start the series for ages, and Natively offering Korean gave me the push I needed. :grin:

2 Likes

Ooh excellent. Yeah I’m really curious what sort of graded readers are out there. I know TTMIK has a lot which I’ll be uploading later today.

FYI for everyone adding books… the book adder is still a little suspect and I may be switching to Aladin later on today rather than Yes24. Give it a go, but it may be a little slow and it may pull in too many volumes for books in a series.

I’ll be working hard to populate around 500 books & movies & tv shows the next day or two. Korean isn’t officially launched yet, so don’t promote it in other forums quite yet. Will happen Wednesday hopefully :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Per the recommendation of @bibliothecary , I read the first 무민 book - 무민의 특별한 보물 | L10 - and it was indeed very cute. As I say in my review, it’s pretty much exactly what you want when reading a foreign children’s book. As for level, I think it’s actually a pretty good extensive read for me. I didn’t really run into any grammar constructions I didn’t know and the vocabulary was usually pretty guessable… but it still definitely flexed the things I have learned.

I will probably continue reading some more of them.

I think i’ll also give 신기한 항아리·코에서 나온 쥐·도깨비감투 | L10 a go today as well.

At some point i’d also like to get back into the 어린왕자 (공식 한국어판) | L25??, but that one definitely takes a bit more work for me to read!

2 Likes

Same thing for me in the Japanese version; despite being labeled a children’s book, it’s surprisingly hard to read. @.@ I guess it’s because of the mostly out there vocabulary set you’d need? That, and it’s surprisingly long for what it is, at least from my point of view.

1 Like

Just started my first novel in Korean! :partying_face:

It seems like it’s a “be careful what you wish for” story with lots of unexpected and unwanted repercussions from each wish. :smiling_imp:

The language hasn’t been too difficult so far, so hopefully I’ll be able to get through the whole book… And start the second one!

3 Likes

Oofta! I just attempted 어린왕자 (공식 한국어판) | L25?? again and wow that was intense. It took me like 30 mins for a page and a half :sweat_smile:. It was all exposition and hypotheticals on what boring adults think & ask vs what awesome kids ask… which got quite complicated tracking the subject haha. And the grammar was quite hard… lots of very long sentences with many clauses and 는s expressing contrast between adults & kids.

Idk, it was hard and I enjoyed it, but it may not be sustainable, we’ll see. I do think that was just a particularly hard section. The other parts which have been simple narratives have been much easier. I’ll keep plugging I think.

I also did another 10 pages (30 mins) in 신기한 항아리·코에서 나온 쥐·도깨비감투. This really feels quite easy and I don’t have to do many lookups… there’s just quite a bit of text on each page and I read slowly. The story isn’t that great but I’m enjoying it.

3 Likes

Finished the first chapter of 마녀의 소녀 and there’s already been a disturbing ritual. How fun! :laughing:

2 Likes

I’ve been slowly reading 달까지 가자 while listening to the audiobook at the same time to get in some hours of listening practice. I’ve been quite busy at work recently and there are a lot of scenes where the narrator is stressed by her job, so it maybe wasn’t the best choice to read right now but I’m still enjoying it! Hopefully this weekend I can make some good progress and finish it finally.

3 Likes

Reading the first Harry Potter along with the audiobook; it’s taken two and a half hours just to reach Diagon Alley, but we can finally leave those annoying muggles behind! :mage:

3 Likes

So I think this might be the most appropriate thread. I was wondering if any Korean users knew of any Android Korean dictionary apps that allowed export of words/lists to Anki.

Still working my way through the 두루책방 - Free (series) | L0-20 books, and one I particularly enjoyed was https://learnnatively.com/book/aa7e9904a9/. :snake: :fairy:

I don’t use any, but Naver dictionary (online & app) has a ‘wordbook’ that saves your lookups. It might allow exporting word lists, but you have to have a Naver email account to use it. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

Finished the prologue of 책벌레의 하극상 제1부 - 병사의 딸 1 | L30 for the book club!

Definitely a stretch of my abilities vocab-wise, but nothing I can’t handle so far without a little sprinkling of papago. The grammar is quite straightforward so far. We’ll see how it continues!

It seems like i’ll be ending up learning a lot of book-related vocabulary :joy:

4 Likes

I started reading 쇼코의 미소 | L30 yesterday and I’m really enjoying it so far. It contains a series of short stories that depict the complexity of female relationships with simple but sharp prose. This is a really accessible option for anyone who wants a literary read that isn’t too hard. :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I started reading it cause of you LOL
its really cute I’m enjoying it so far :)) thanks for the recommendation!!!

3 Likes

Nice! I hope you’re enjoying it! :blush: I’m only on the third story still but the stories are a bit sadder than I was expecting so far! :anguished: We will have to compare impressions if we both finish.

3 Likes

I just finished reading 고양이 해결사 깜냥 1 | L22 and it was pretty good. It’s a very cute story about a traveling cat who stays at an apartment security office for a while and helps the tenants with their problems. I just bought the second book in the series where he works at a pizza shop. I can’t wait to read it later.

5 Likes

I’ve started 작은 공주 세라 | L20?? and listening to the audiobook, which I’m really enjoying - so nostalgic! :smiling_face:

I finished the first volume of 낭만 강아지 봉봉 시리즈 (series) | L17 and plan to read the others soon. They’re fairly quick reads and there are audiobooks available, which is always a plus.

3 Likes

I finally finished reading 춘향전 lv 22??, a B2 graded reader from the darakwon series. It was really nice, although definitely above my level. Hopefully in a couple month I’ll be able to read it again without having to look up so much vocab! And well, at least now I’ve learned a lot of new grammar, so that should be a lot easier next time.
I might just start 전우치전 lv 20?? in January which is also B2, but I really need to finish 흥부전 lv 13?? first.

4 Likes

I’m slowly working my way through 간니닌니 마법의 도서관 1 and 영어 잘하는 사람들의 작은 습관. Between the two, I find 영어 잘하는 사람들의 작은 습관 easier.

간니닌니 마법의 도서관 is a fantasy children’s novel where the two main characters, a pair of sisters, get sucked into a book world called Fantasia and have to explore different (very Disney-based) fairy tales to find their way out. It has some pictures and occasionally uses a comic format which helps with comprehension.

영어 잘하는 사람들의 작은 습관 is a nonfiction book for Korean people about building good English learning habits (for example, for vocabulary, using 단어집 of related words, learning 7 words per day, learning words in context with audio/writing them out for spelling). It’s interesting for me since I like language learning. I’m reading it in Kimchi Reader, which is super helpful since it has integrated reading/dictionary/flashcards!

5 Likes