What are you reading today?

I just started reading La librería del señor Livingstone | L29. What better than a book focused on a bookstore now that I’m reading more and more again?

Today’s word of the day is " sabihondo", coming from the latin sapibundus derived from sapere. And, as you may or may not know, the verb saber originates from sapere. This makes guessing the meaning of sabihondo possible, and in fact, it is used to describe a know-it-all, or a person who wrongly thinks that they know everything. Weirdly enough, there are two possible yet correct ways of writting it, the one prefered by the RAE being sabiondo.

La vocecita sabihonda de Oliver Twist, que había acampado con su mochilla y sus libros de astronomía en su rincón habitual, la sección de Historia, molestó al señor Livingstone.

This is also making me curious as to whether sabionda is used to describe Hermione in the Spanish translation of Harry Potter. The word definitely seems like it would fit her, specifically in a description by Snape, but I digress…

8 Likes