What is your reading set-up? How do you concentrate for your reading sessions?

Hmmm, given I have to upgrade my normal manga reading tablet anyway, I wonder if messing with e-Ink android tablet options is worth it. But then I probably lose some of the OCR functionality (especially instant responsiveness)…

1 Like

What tablet do you use for manga now?

1 Like

this is for eng manga, but i have a Galaxy Tab A 2017 edition that was working quite well until recently. For JPN manga, I’m mostly just reading on kindle in a browser for the moment.

I do read manga on my phone with an OCR app (more convenient to lug around - it’s always on me, after all), but the phone is a relatively modern model, or at least more powerful anyway.

(Also the storage on the Tab sucks and the SD card reader seems to randomly corrupt half the data, which is not what I am after)

2 Likes

Kind of surprised there seem to be so few people that listen along to audiobooks and/or read in front of their computers. I guess it isn’t always an option, but that’s primarily how I read Japanese books :thinking:
:desktop_computer: : Ebook+Yomichan+Audiobook.

I do think there’s benefits to reading-while-listening, but I mostly do it this way because I enjoy it the most c:

5 Likes

I’m doing exactly that with 転生したらスライムだった件 (series) | L35

But I feel like following along is a somewhat different skill than reading on your own, so that’s why I limit it to a series only.

4 Likes

I listen to audiobook with the same title as e-book, but I feel that listening should be able to be effective on its own. Also, audiobook is a good place to avoid looking up and learn to infer. I don’t want to make it similar to anime with JP sub after all.

Nonetheless, reading and listening to the same chapter, but not concurrently, might not be a bad idea at all.

2 Likes

True, I do feel like there’s less benefit in terms of “pure reading”-practice, but I suppose I don’t care that much about that specifically… :thinking:
Personally I’m faster with audio and have higher comprehension, which I feel like is already a pretty good trade purely in terms of quantity of comprehensible input.
And then there’s smaller things like not running risk of making mistakes like using the wrong readings for words, not having to worry about possible side effects of wrong subvocalization, some studies indicating that reading-while-listening could be better for passive vocab acquisition, and more possible benefits I probably forgot. And somehow my pure reading seems to be improving as well, just probably not as fast :person_shrugging:
But really, purely in terms of more volume and enjoyment I think it’s worth it for me either way :3

Once it gets a bit too limiting (looking at you 本好き, they should really publish those audiobooks faster), I’ll get my pure-reading practice anyways. Until then I’ll enjoy the binge reading c:

… I love audiobooks more than most though audible.com already has way too much of my money. If I could listen to more difficult audiobooks without reading along I’d probably do that instead :')

3 Likes

I plan to do that after I finish 本好き on my own. It’s just that it’s been a slow trek :rofl:

Despite being “slow” publishing them, I feel like the way I’m going with it I have content for a few years, unless I suddenly get a speed bump somehow.

2 Likes

本好き is pretty amazing in terms of how small its core vocabulary is for such a series, so you’ll definitely get noticeably faster :running_man:

4 Likes

I try to read only on my Kindle or the book itself. Sometimes I make exceptions and read on my phone if I am standing or something but really need to get my reading in. I don’t have any rituals or any requirements, other than I prefer my environment to not have English running in the background (my wife studies English, so this can be a challenge but not impossible). Otherwise I can read anytime and anywhere.

The Kindle is more for on the go and I have time to use the dictionary but I will use the physical book for when I want to get more reading done and don’t particularly care if I miss something along the way (usually with easier books).

I think the key to your issue is accepting ambiguity so not understanding every little nuance is okay. If there is a word or phrase blocking you from understanding a scenario (place or object being used) then go ahead a look that up and try to remember what happened now that you know the word (don’t reread).

1 Like

I discovered this recently! It’s actually really powerful study wise I think to read first then listen! I haven’t made a habit of it yet, but I encourage people to do both independently if they can!

4 Likes

I’ve been meaning to incorporate reading podcast scripts and then listening to the pod into my study flow. I had found a really nice chill one but as I was halfway through episode one the podcaster decided to nuke their podcast from the internet and I have no idea why :frowning:

I found a replacement, more episodes but only half or less are transcripted, but that’s more than zero so it’s all fine. Just gotta find the time to start working it in.

IMO, it depends. Reading first will help with vocabularies, but often, that isn’t a major problem.

Reading first will give too much hint regarding Kanji and numbers as well. In some ways, listening first then reading might be better.

2 Likes

Perhaps, but then I’d have to pick an easy’ish book so I can get anything from the listening, and afterwards I’d have to read an easy’ish book I’ve already spoiled myself for.
Reading first and listening with half an ear later sounds much more fun c:

2 Likes

Yeah depends on your goals of course.

1 Like

I usually just grab my iPad or kindle and lay in bed while reading without music or anything. I can spend hours this way.

I’ve tried reading while sitting or reading on the computer but it’s not that comfortable for me.

2 Likes

Loving this thread. It’s always interesting to see how other people read.

I work from home so I try to get a few pages in between work hours, like when I can’t handle any more emails and need something else to concentrate on. These sessions are about 10 minutes max. No music.

At night, I try to read before bedtime and set my Forest app to 20 minutes minimum. If I feel like I could read more then I do another Forest session. Sometimes I’ll put on a city pop playlist in the background. Sometimes there’s just silence.

6 Likes

That’s an interesting app!

I’ll give it a try.

1 Like

my people. :face_holding_back_tears: I have an audible sub for japanese books and for english books I use the library (libby app is OP). The amount of books I could consume skyrocketed after I realized audiobooks work for me. :partying_face:

7 Likes