"What should I read next?" Megathread

As far as I can remember. I started playing around with polls late 2017- early 2018 and it was already behaving like that back in the days (formats correctly in the preview but not in the actual thing).
That problem also happens with other dynamic formatting stuff, like the math mode plugin.

7 Likes

Auto-formatted URLs are “baked” into the post, so the text won’t change even if the level changes.

6 Likes

I don’t recall if I handtyped the URLs in a poll before, but it seems the URLs are acting up more frequently than they used to.

3 Likes

Are you sure? Because I can search the forum for a natively like, it still shows in the post. Same if I edit a post.
Also, I just checked a bunch of links and they all matched (the difficulty, I mean). Either I was lucky, or it is re-rendered dynamically when the page is loaded.

3 Likes

I’m almost certain that it works like @seanblue describes. I’m pretty sure you were just lucky. :slight_smile:

That being said, I did just manually rebake some posts… while I highly doubt that would update the natively links, there’s a slim possibility it did.

Edit: For example: "What should I read next?" Megathread - #28 by Drinos

あなた is now 27: あなた | L27

4 Likes

I found one link that is now not expanding :joy: I’m pretty sure it was a while back.

3 Likes

Yeah, for the actual poll I did a few weeks back, I think I went back and edited it to have manual links when I realised it didn’t autoformat.

What would be really nice for polls would be a version that autoexpanded to include a thumbnail book cover image as well as the title and level. At the moment you have to manually upload the images to the forum post, unless I missed an easier way to do it.

1 Like

I think it depends on how you build the poll.
If you use the fancy menu probably it doesn’t autoexpand. But if you just use the markdown it seems to work:

1 Like

No, the preview always work (same for math mode on WK), but the actual posted version doesn’t.

3 Likes

I see, so it changes back after rendering correctly on the preview.

Weird.

2 Likes

Yes. I don’t remember the technical details, but the devs explained that it has something to do with the way the poll is being built (I guess something to do with the way the options are saved on the back end when the poll is built?)

2 Likes

Interesting. We’ve only gotten radio silence from the meta website, so that’s good context… probably won’t be fixed then :confused:

Well, will ultimately be resolved with moving nomination polling on platform, which should be next year.

6 Likes

Ah, I found it
It is apparently a problem specific to the math plug-in, so it might not be relevant here.
It took nearly a year for the team to reply, and the answer was basically #wontfix

6 Likes

me again
this time I’m actually putting the options instead of vague words :joy:
I’m hoping to have another Furigana reading simply because I already have too many difficult reads, so here are some I was thinking about trying…

edit: closed the vote. thanks everyone :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

As per posted in the other thread

So here I go again with a poll. Although my mind is strongly leaning towards continuing 世にも奇妙な商品カタログ #8, because the speed I was going through felt refreshing.

Anyway, maybe I’ll change my mind with the poll / comments from other fellow readers!

What next?
  • 2e8d791e-c7fe-4c18-a7e5-8c01c70e8bfb 世にも奇妙な商品カタログ #09
  • a159d571-a07d-4eb1-9e5d-6376dc3f6796 異世界のんびり農家 #02
  • e34efc7f-37ce-41a6-b4d5-572d4f57b7d7 本好きの下剋上 #03
0 voters
2 Likes

With a 69% (ナイス!) of the voters, I’ll be going towards 世にも奇妙な商品カタログ #09.
Hopefully it can be done by before the end of the month.

Thanks for voting!

4 Likes

These are all 児童書. Something light to balance out my current non-fiction read.
Please help me choose :pleading_face:

• Lupin or Kaito Kid but for kids
  • penpals in space
  • boy returns from the dead and fights angels (maybe?)
  • girl looking for love gets possessed by the wrong god
  • girl runs away from home and finds an interesting book
  • girl has to deal with bullying while her aunt is hospitalized
  • boy detective
0 voters

Let’s hope I can still remember which was which when I close the poll. :rofl:

8 Likes

don’t worry, some of these are veeeeeery obvious :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

They wouldn’t be to me. :sweat_smile: But I guess if you have read them, they would be. Are you a 児童書 connaisseur? :face_with_monocle: Feel free to guess the titles, I’ll be closing soon anyway :eyes:

2 Likes

Yeah, I was about to say, guessing those would require quite a lot of specialized knowledge :joy:
I think 魔女の宅急便 and 時をかける少女 are the only ones I know…

2 Likes