"What should I read next?" Megathread

穴 is short but also tedious to read imo so it may kill your momentum. My pick is 月の裏側!

6 Likes

Not this 穴 (which I have already read and didn’t find tedious):

but this 穴 (which is a short story collection and also not tedious):

In fact, I’m looking forward to all four books in the poll, thankfully!

8 Likes

Oh, there are multiple books about holes out there! Carry on then!

9 Likes

There are, and I’m on a quest to read them all :joy:

9 Likes

We all count on you! :+1: :rofl:

7 Likes

Thank you everyone for voting! I just finished 穴 like the poll told me to, so I guess tomorrow it’s time for 月の裏側 :partying_face:
There is a certain temptation to try and finish きつねのはなし first, but I think I’ll stick to the poll results.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure you won’t regret it :blush:

4 Likes

To appease my starving ADHD brain, I yearn to start something new, only I don’t know what. First…

should I start a manga or novel?
  • manga
  • novel
0 voters
3 Likes

Novel it is! Now…

which one should I start?
  • サマー・ランサー (槍道部, bingo fill)
  • モンスターと食卓を (food/cooking)
  • マウンドの神様 (baseball)
  • 文豪ストレイドッグス #1 (supernatural, bingo fill)
  • あと少し、もう少し (running)
  • 平野と鍵浦 (BL, probably quickest read)
0 voters

(I’m doing this on my phone so I’m not adding links, sorry. And technically all of them could be a bingo fill: if I don’t have a specific square planned for it, it’ll go in “chosen randomly.”)

2 Likes

Looks like I will finally be reading Dazai’s Entrance Exam like 7 years after I bought it! (To be fair, though, I couldn’t read Japanese back then.) Thank you to everyone who voted!

I am apparently out of bunko-sized bookmarks though but oh well

11 Likes

Has anyone here read アマテラスの暗号? This book looks very interesting and I’d like to know where it would be rated. I’m taking N3 in June and I’m pretty confident I will pass, but the preview of this book was still totally impossible to read for me.

2 Likes

Glancing at the Kindle preview, nothing stood out to me as necessarily particularly difficult; I’d give a very rough estimate of, say L33? That’s very rough, from just a few pages, and it’s entirely possible the book ends up using quite a bit of religious terminology, which would probably bump the level up at least a few notches depending on how technical it gets.

4 Likes

Thanks for the rating! My most difficult book so far has been L26 so that is definitely a few notches too high for me at the moment, but it’s something I can work towards :smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’m about to finish 僕が愛したすべての君へ (https://learnnatively.com/book/1a09c149cd/), and I’m looking into what to read next as a side book to read along side セーラー服と機関銃 (セーラー服と機関銃 | L30), which I’m reading with the WK intermediate book club.

I currently own and I am considering between:

Quite a list. I’m looking for something for something relatively easy. Kindle is obviously easier for me, because the built-in dictionary and translate function, but it’s also been a while since I read a physical book.

What do folks here think?

• 雨の日も、晴れ男
  • 星の子
  • コーヒーが冷めないうちに
  • ホビットの冒険
0 voters
5 Likes

This has an audiobook that you could listen to while reading which will make it easier. I think it’s well produced.

4 Likes

Voted for this one since it’s probably the easiest novel I’ve read so far. I haven’t read any of the other ones on your post though, so that might not mean much here. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks, All. 雨の日も、晴れ男 was the winner. I’ll read コーヒーが冷めないうちに after that.

8 Likes

What manga should I read next? I’m not really reading any manga outside of book clubs right now so I’d like to start one.

• おとなになっても 10 (the “wrap up a series” option)
  • ぜんぶきみの性 5 (the “get back to it” option)
  • こみっくがーるず 3 (the “continue series reread” option)
  • はなまるスキップ 2 (the “you started this 6 months ago, just finish it already” option)
  • 神様がうそをつく (the “read a standalone” option)
  • 蛍火の杜へ (the “read a standalone but it’s a short story collection” option)
0 voters
3 Likes

Fwiw ぜんぶきみの性 5 is the first one I gave 5 stars to (before that was mostly 3 stars). My other pick was おとなになっても 10, b/c there’s always something nice about finishing a series.

Have you watched the anime for こみっくがーるず ? If so, how do they compare? (I only watched an ep or two, b/c it was too hard without subs back then)

3 Likes

I watched a few clips, but it didn’t really align with my view of the series from the manga. The animation felt off and the voice acting for some characters didn’t feel right. I like the manga a lot though.

1 Like