"What should I read next?" Megathread

I briefly started 夜は短し歩けよ乙女 | L43 last week, but I think I’m in the mood for something a bit easier instead. What should it be?

0 voters

Unrelated to the choices in the poll, I see you marked 人間椅子 | L37 as a Want to Read and there’s currently an informal book club going on for it in the WK forums: 人間椅子 Reading Club (unscheduled) 🪑 - Book Clubs - WaniKani Community

Might be able to sneak a short story in before Halloween :ghost: :jack_o_lantern:

4 Likes

Ooh, thanks for the heads up! This does seem like a good excuse to read it, maybe I could even get to it later today :eyes:

3 Likes

Well… I ignored the poll results. Decided I wasn’t in the mood to read 本好き after all.

3 Likes

Oh, after looking up in natively I didn’t know there was a TOジュニア文庫 version of 本好き.

Do you know by any chance if they are 1:1 plot wise? For example reading 2 of the TOジュニア文庫 and then jump to the normal ones.

I do not know, sorry. It looks like it could be two volumes for every one of the original based on the covers, but I can’t say if there are other changes besides furigana usage. That said, if you just planned to read two of these, you might be better off just waiting a bit and then jumping into the regular version when you’re comfortable. If you don’t know much kanji but have a good grasp of the language otherwise, maybe then you’d benefit from reading an entire arc or two from this version. (It looks like they probably need two more volumes to finish arc two, assuming the two volumes to one original holds the whole time.)

1 Like

I’m trying to catch up with 世にも奇妙な商品カタログ and then 本好き was one of the options I was considering, but my Kanji game is not there yet, so it was a nice surprise seeing that version pop up.

If they are the same, even if they are divided in volumes, then I can eventually jump to the normal ones, or if for some reason the Junior version doesn’t get updated, I can also jump and continue where they stopped.

1 Like

I only skimmed the first few pages of the first chapter (not the prologue), but it seemed the same as the regular version.

1 Like

I found a chiebukuro answer that says they’re the same, just with full furigana and extra illustrations (!), and they split the 3 books of Part One into 6 volumes. Also, apparently some of the post-epilogue content from the last volume is removed, which seems strange as it becomes very significant later on, so maybe make the switch then?

3 Likes

That’s a shame. Maybe it’s incorporated when it becomes significant later on? It would make sense as they are aimed to younger audiences and makes the pacing more follow-able IMHO.

So for when you refer to last volume, you mean of Part one or of the currently published? Chiebukuro is region locked as Yahoo auctions too, so I can not check myself without having to play with VPNs.

1 Like

Oh, I never realized it was region locked, that’s annoying. I mean the last book of part 1, though. And yeah it is probably included somehow

Here's the answer text if you're interested
3 Likes

Thanks, I guess I could also go jump to the post-epilogue on the original books as to make sure not to miss, then return to the “easy” ones.

But we will see, I still have 4 volumes of 世にも奇妙な商品カタログ to go through, and although I want to pick up the speed pace, I don’t see myself finishing them this month.

2 Likes

Looks like I’ll be reading かがみの孤城 | L28 next! This is pretty much the result I expected based on past polls here, but it was still fun. Might even do this again sometime, who knows

6 Likes

I’m looking to start another book but I can’t decide from amongst these ones

0 voters

2 Likes

Thanks for the input everyone! Looks like I’m extending spooky month to November :ghost: :ferris_wheel:

4 Likes

As I expect to finish 世にも奇妙な商品カタログ 7 無敵ドリンク・金にする手袋他 | L24 in the next few days, I figured out I’d open a poll as I’m a bit on the fence:

The main thing is if to continue alone with 世にも奇妙な商品カタログ, start something new, or take both at the same time and read that day whatever I’m in the mood.

0 voters

And for those who voted an option with 本好きの下剋上 and knowing that I might struggle with Kanji as I’m currently on Grade 4-5ish knowledge wise:

Go junior version.
    Go normal version.
  • image image
    Do junior version then switch to normal when confident / or required by content.

0 voters

1 Like

If someone voted, you need to recast, I redid the poll because doing the poll with the Japanese interface is hard :rofl:

1 Like

I never even noticed you could do it via the UI. I just google the markdown for polls on discourse or steal the setup from a previous post I’ve made :joy:

Also I voted for regular version re: kanji but IMO that’s a very personal thing in regards to your tolerance for lookups. Mine is probably higher than average so that’s how I voted but only you know your own tolerance.

4 Likes

Since seems like one way or the other, I’m going for 本好きの下剋上:

Anyone has a Anime episode - Book volume equivalent without spoilers?
I haven’t watched the anime myself, but I’d love to give it a go after reading, to see how much I got.

I’m afraid to google it and getting it spoiled, as at this point I’d rather go blind.

2 Likes

Based on episode title alone,

Volume episodes
1 1-6
2 7-8
3 9*-14+second half of 14.5, first half is from wayyy later
4 15-20
5 21-26
6 27-31
7 32-36

Poor volume 2… (at the same time, I get it :joy:)

* A bit of episode 9 still belongs to volume 2, I think.

3 Likes