๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ท Korean Fiction Book Club ๐Ÿ“– Now reading ์ฃฝ์ด๊ณ  ์‹ถ์€ ์•„์ด! ๐Ÿ—ณ๏ธ

Hi all!

Iโ€™m very excited to be starting this thread for our inaugural Natively Korean book club!

As per our poll results in the interest thread, this club will be broadly โ€œfictionโ€ themed and we will be taking nominations from any genre as long as it is a full length work of fiction. That means mystery, thriller, young adult, general fiction, sci-fi, short story collections, etc. โ€” all are accepted! :blush:

Will you be joining?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Iโ€™m not sure
0 voters

Iโ€™ve taken some inspiration from the existing Japanese threads for the nomination method and thread format. So, just like the Japanese club threads, you can also find a template for making a nomination below and the nominations section will be updated accordingly as they are submitted so we have an overview of current nominations.

For now Iโ€™d say we can leave nominations open until October 7th to give our Korean learning community a chance to find this thread and make a selection, and then we can vote after that! :slightly_smiling_face:

I look forward to reading and learning together! :open_book:

Nomination template:

Simply copy and paste the below text (not quote) into a reply to nominate!

**Book**: Put a Natively link here!
**Genre**: provide genre if it's clearly stated (mystery/horror/sf/etc), otherwise "general fiction" is fine, or leave blank
**Length**:  number of pages, and number of volumes if applicable
**Is there an ebook available?**: yes or no (buying options are visible on the Natively book page)
[details="Summary - Korean"]
you can copy/paste this from wherever you'd like. Please have it in a drop down like shown.
[/details]
[details="Summary - English"]
Optional! Chuck the above summary into DeepL, Google Translate, or the like. Or remove this section. 
[/details]
[details="Content warnings if known"]
You can't be expected to know all the content of a book you haven't read yet, but if you know it deals with specific heavy topics, or the author is known for doing so, please include it here.
[/details]
**Why are you nominating this book:** This section is optional, but it's nice to know why someone else is interested in reading a book, and might sway others to vote for it!

Nominations

4 Likes

How exciting! :laughing:

Iโ€™ll have to think about what to nominateโ€ฆ thereโ€™s so much to choose from my TBR pile. :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Same! Excited to see your nomination when you decide! :blush:

3 Likes

Just noticed the poll doesnโ€™t show who voted - you could delete and make a new one since only the two of us have voted so far. :wink:

3 Likes

Iโ€™ve updated it now! Thought I had set it to public the first time but it seems like something went wrong. Bear with me as I get this thread set up since Iโ€™m not the most savvy discourse user. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Looks good now! :+1:

3 Likes

@bungakushoujo yes! Very excited :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Going to go ahead and make the first nomination! :smiling_face:

Book: (ํŽ˜์ธํŠธ | L31)
Genre: young adult fiction
Length: 204 pages
Is there an ebook available?: Yes - the ebook should be available on most Korean ebook platforms and is also available on Google books.

Summary - Korean

๋ถ€๋ชจ ๋ฉด์ ‘์„ ์‹œ์ž‘ํ•˜๊ฒ ์Šต๋‹ˆ๋‹ค.โ€

๋ถ€๋ชจ๋ฅผ ์„ ํƒํ•˜๋Š” ์‹œ๋Œ€,
๋‚ด ์†์œผ๋กœ ์ƒ‰์น ํ•˜๋Š” ๋ฏธ๋ž˜

์ดํฌ์˜ ์ž‘๊ฐ€๋Š” ใ€ŽํŽ˜์ธํŠธใ€๋ฅผ ํ†ตํ•ด ๋ˆ„๊ตฌ๋‚˜ ํ•œ ๋ฒˆ์ฏค ํ’ˆ์–ด ๋ณด์•˜์„ ๋„๋ฐœ์ ์ธ ์ƒ์ƒ๋ ฅ์„ ํŽผ์ณ ๋ณด์ธ๋‹ค. ๊ตญ๊ฐ€์—์„œ ์„ผํ„ฐ๋ฅผ ์„ค๋ฆฝํ•ด ์•„์ด๋ฅผ ํ‚ค์›Œ ์ฃผ๋Š” โ€˜์–‘์œก ๊ณต๋™์ฒดโ€™๊ฐ€ ์‹คํ˜„๋œ ๋ฏธ๋ž˜ ์‚ฌํšŒ, ์ฒญ์†Œ๋…„์ด ๋ถ€๋ชจ๋ฅผ ์ง์ ‘ ๋ฉด์ ‘ ๋ณธ ๋’ค ์„ ํƒํ•˜๋Š” ์ƒ‰๋‹ค๋ฅธ ํ’๊ฒฝ์„ ๊ทธ๋ฆฐ๋‹ค. ์ข‹์€ ๋ถ€๋ชจ๋ž€, ๋‚˜์•„๊ฐ€ ๊ฐ€์กฑ์˜ ์˜๋ฏธ๋ž€ ๋ฌด์—‡์ธ์ง€๋ฅผ ์ฒญ์†Œ๋…„์˜ ์‹œ์„ ์—์„œ ์งˆ๋ฌธํ•˜๋Š” ์ˆ˜์ž‘์ด๋‹ค.

Summary - English

Taken directly from Papago so apologies for how awkward the translation is!

โ€œIโ€™ll start the parent interview.โ€

The era of choosing parents,
The future colored by my own hands

Through โ€œPaint,โ€ writer Lee Hee-young demonstrates the provocative imagination that everyone would have had at least once. It depicts a future society where a โ€œcustodial communityโ€ that raises children by establishing a center in the country is realized, and a unique landscape in which teenagers choose after interviewing their parents in person. Good parents are a masterpiece that asks what family means from the perspective of adolescents.

Why are you nominating this book:
Iโ€™m nominating this book for several reasons:

1. Itโ€™s for younger audiences so it should hopefully be an approachable first read for the book club
  2. It has a short length at just over 200 pages
  3. There is an audiobook available on Google books for anyone who wants to get some listening practice alongside reading
  4. It won the ์ฐฝ๋น„์ฒญ์†Œ๋…„๋ฌธํ•™์ƒ so Iโ€™m personally very curious about it
3 Likes

This is so funny. I was actually thinking about nominating this book. I found a blog that mentoned the book and it seems really interesting. https://speechling.com/blog/the-5-best-korean-ya-books-for-studying-korea/ This should give a bit more information on what the book is about. Iโ€™m personally around high beginner/ low beginner so Iโ€™m not sure if Iโ€™ll be able to read it though I might try it out.

3 Likes

That is a very funny coincidence! And thank you for sharing that link! The summary there is much better than the one on the bookโ€™s Yes24 page that I included in my nomination.

If you end up deciding to try it out, we would be glad to have you! You are also more than welcome to come with any questions about the language. I donโ€™t think we have too many advanced Korean readers on the site (?) so the book club will be a place for us to help each other out and learn together in addition to chatting about books.

2 Likes

This has been on my Google Play wish list for a while, having an audiobook available is a big plus! :grin:

I thought GP would auto-populate links for audiobooks, but I guess not. Iโ€™ll have to start adding themโ€ฆ :sweat_smile:

The whimsically-titled Wizardโ€™s Bakery was going to be one of my picks, but then I noticed the content warnings on namu wiki: โ€œschool violence, suicide, child abuse, murder, arson, child sex crimes, rape, dating violence, etcโ€โ€ฆ :scream:

2 Likes

Book: ์†Œ๋ฆฌ๋ฅผ ๋ณด๋Š” ์†Œ๋…„ | L30
Genre: YA, historical
Length: 176 pages
Is there an ebook available?: Yes
Is there an audiobook available?: Yes

Summary - Korean

์–ด๋ฆฐ์ด์ฑ…์„ ํ†ตํ•ด ๋…์ž๋ฅผ ๋งŒ๋‚˜ ์˜จ ๊น€์€์˜ ์ž‘๊ฐ€์˜ ์ฒซ ์ฒญ์†Œ๋…„ ์†Œ์„ค์ด์ž, ์—ญ์‚ฌ ์† ์‹œ๊ฐ์žฅ์• ์ธ๋“ค์˜ ์‚ถ์— ๋”ฐ๋œปํ•˜๋ฉด์„œ๋„ ๊ฐ๋™์ ์ธ ์ด์•ผ๊ธฐ๋ฅผ ๋”ํ•ด ํ’€์–ด๋‚ธ ์ž‘ํ’ˆ์ด๋‹ค. ์–ด๋ฆด ๋•Œ ๋ณ‘์œผ๋กœ ์‹œ๋ ฅ์„ ์žƒ์€ ์—ด๋‹ค์„ฏ ์‚ด ์žฅ๋งŒ๊ณผ ๊ทธ๋Ÿฐ ํ˜•์„ ์‚ด๋œฐํžˆ ๋ณด์‚ดํ”ผ๋ฉด์„œ๋„ ์‚ด๋ฆผ๊นŒ์ง€ ๋„๋งก์•„ ํ•˜๋Š” ๋™์ƒ ๋•์ˆ˜, ๊ทธ๋ฆฌ๊ณ  ์„ธ์ƒ์„ ๋– ๋‚œ ์—„๋งˆ์˜ ๋นˆ์ž๋ฆฌ๊นŒ์ง€ ๋ฉ”์šฐ๋ฉฐ ํ˜•์ œ๋ฅผ ๋ณด์‚ดํ”ผ๋Š” ์•„๋ฒ„์ง€. ์žฅ๋งŒ์ด๋„ค ์„ธ ์‹๊ตฌ๋Š” ๋จน๊ณ ์‚ด๊ธฐ ํž˜๋“  ๊ณ ํ–ฅ์„ ๋– ๋‚˜ ์กฐ๊ธˆ์ด๋‚˜๋งˆ ํ˜•ํŽธ์ด ๋‚˜์€ ํ•œ์–‘์— ์ƒˆ๋กœ ์ž๋ฆฌ๋ฅผ ์žก๋Š”๋‹ค.

ํ•˜์ง€๋งŒ ํ•œ์–‘์—์„œ์˜ ์‚ถ๋„ ๋…น๋ก์ง€ ์•Š๋‹ค. ํŠนํžˆ ๋Š˜ ๋ฐ๊ณ  ํ™œ๊ธฐ ๋„˜์น˜๋Š” ๋™์ƒ์ด ์•ˆ์“ฐ๋Ÿฌ์šด ์žฅ๋งŒ์€ ์ž์‹ ์ด ์‹œ๊ฐ์žฅ์• ์ธ์ด๋ผ๋Š” ๊ฒŒ ๋Š˜ ๋ชป๋งˆ๋•…ํ•˜๋‹ค. ํ•  ์ˆ˜ ์žˆ๋Š” ์ผ์ด๋ผ๊ณ ๋Š” ์งš์‹  ์—ฎ๋Š” ๊ฒƒ์ด ์ „๋ถ€์ผ ๋ฟ, ๋ฐ–์œผ๋กœ ๋ˆ์„ ๋ฒŒ๊ธฐ ์œ„ํ•ด ๋‚˜๊ฐˆ ์ˆ˜๋„, ์ง์—…์„ ๊ตฌํ•˜๊ธฐ๋„ ์–ด๋ ต๊ธฐ ๋•Œ๋ฌธ์ด๋‹ค. ๊ทธ๋Ÿฐ ํ˜•์˜ ๋งˆ์Œ์„ ์ž˜ ์•„๋Š” ๋•์ˆ˜๊ฐ€ ์šฐ์—ฐํžˆ ์•Œ๊ฒŒ ๋œ ๊ด€์ฒญ ์ผ์ž๋ฆฌ์— ์žฅ๋งŒ์„ ๋ฐ๋ฆฌ๊ณ  ๊ฐ„๋‹ค. ํ•˜์ง€๋งŒ ๊ทธ๊ณณ์—์„œ ๋ถˆ์ด ๋‚˜๊ณ , ๊ทธ ๋ถˆ๋กœ ์ธํ•ด ์˜คํžˆ๋ ค ํ˜•์ด ๊ณค๊ฒฝ์— ์ฒ˜ํ•˜๋Š” ์ผ์ด ๋ฒŒ์–ด์ง€๋Š”๋ฐโ€ฆ.

Summary - English

This is the first young adult novel by Kim Eun-young, who has met readers through her childrenโ€™s books, and adds a warm and touching story to the lives of blind people in history. Fifteen-year-old Jang-man, who lost his sight at an early age due to an illness; his younger brother, Duk-soo, who takes care of him while also taking care of the household; and their father, who fills the void left by their motherโ€™s death. The three of them leave their hardscrabble hometown and settle in Hanyang, a city with better conditions.

But life in Hanyang is not easy. Jang-man feels sorry for his younger brother, who is always cheerful and energetic, and he is always unhappy that he is blind. The only thing he can do is weave straw shoes, and he canโ€™t go out to earn money or find a job. Deok-soo, who knows his brotherโ€™s heart, takes him to a government job he stumbles upon. However, a fire breaks out there, and itโ€™s the fire that gets his brother in trouble. โ€ฆ

Content warnings

Given the subject matter, I assume ableism rears its ugly head.

Why are you nominating this book: The premise of a young, visually-impaired boy finding his place in the world, set against the backdrop of historic Seoul sounds really interesting! Iโ€™d like to read a historical novel, and being YA means it (hopefully) wonโ€™t be too challenging. :blush:

3 Likes

This looks like a fun suggestion too! Itโ€™s going to be hard to decide. :laughing:

3 Likes

Book: ๊ตฌ๋ฏธํ˜ธ ์‹๋‹น
Genre: fantasy
Length: 248
Is there an ebook available?: yes (buying options are visible on the Natively book page)

Summary - Korean

โ€œ๋‚ด๊ฒŒ ์‚ฌ์‹ญ๊ตฌ์ผ๋ฐ–์— ์‹œ๊ฐ„์ด ์—†๋‹ค๋ฉด?โ€

์–ด๋Š ๋‚  ๊ฐ‘์ž๊ธฐ ์ฃฝ์€ ๋‘ ์‚ฌ๋žŒ, ๋ง๊ฐ์˜ ๊ฐ•์„ ๋„˜๊ธฐ ์ง์ „ ์„œํ˜ธ๋ฅผ ๋งŒ๋‚œ๋‹ค. ์•„์ง ์‹์ง€ ์•Š์€ ๋œจ๊ฑฐ์šด ํ”ผ ํ•œ๋ชจ๊ธˆ๊ณผ ์‚ฌ์‹ญ๊ตฌ์ผ์˜ ์‹œ๊ฐ„์„ ๋ฐ”๊พธ์–ด ์‚ด๋˜ ๋™๋„ค๋กœ ๋Œ์•„์˜จ๋‹ค. ํ•˜์ง€๋งŒ ๋ชจ์Šต์€ ์˜ˆ์ „์˜ ๊ทธ๋“ค์ด ์•„๋‹ˆ๊ณ , ๋ฐ–์œผ๋กœ ๋Œ์•„๋‹ค๋‹ ์ˆ˜๋„ ์—†๋‹ค. ํ˜ธํ…” ์…ฐํ”„์˜€๋˜ ์•„์ €์”จ์™€ ๋„์˜์€ ๊ตฌ๋ฏธํ˜ธ ์‹๋‹น์„ ์šด์˜ํ•˜๋ฉฐ ์‚ฌ์‹ญ๊ตฌ์ผ ๋™์•ˆ์„ ๋ณด๋‚ด๋Š”๋ฐ, ์•„์ €์”จ๋Š” โ€˜ํฌ๋ฆผ๋ง๋ž‘โ€™ ๋ฉ”๋‰ด๋ฅผ SNS ํ™๋ณดํ•˜๋ฉฐ ๊ผญ ๋งŒ๋‚˜์•ผ ํ•  ์‚ฌ๋žŒ์„ ๊ธฐ๋‹ค๋ฆฐ๋‹ค. ๋”ฑํžˆ ์‚ฌ์‹ญ๊ตฌ์ผ์„ ๋” ์‚ด์•„์•ผ ํ•  ์ด์œ ๊ฐ€ ์—†๋‹ค๊ณ  ์ƒ๊ฐํ–ˆ๋˜ ๋„์˜, ์™ธ๋กญ๊ณ  ๋ถˆํ–‰ํ•˜๊ธฐ๋งŒ ํ–ˆ๋‹ค๊ณ  ์ƒ๊ฐํ–ˆ๋Š”๋ฐ, ๋ชจ๋ฅด๊ณ  ๋„˜์–ด๊ฐˆ ๋ป”ํ–ˆ๋˜ ์ง„์‹ค๊ณผ ๋งˆ์ฃผํ•˜๊ฒŒ ๋œ๋‹ค. ํ•œ์ˆœ๊ฐ„๋„ ๋†“์น  ์ˆ˜ ์—†๋Š” ํฅ๋ฏธ์ง„์ง„ํ•œ ์ด์•ผ๊ธฐ๊ฐ€ ๋งˆ์ง€๋ง‰๊นŒ์ง€ ์ด์–ด์ง„๋‹ค.

Summary - English

From Papago:
โ€œWhat if I had only 49 days?โ€

One day, two people who died suddenly, meet Seo-ho just before crossing the river of oblivion. He returns to the neighborhood where he lived by changing the time of forty-nine days and a sip of hot blood that has not yet cooled down. But they are not who they used to be, and they canโ€™t walk around outside. The man who was a hotel chef and Do-young spend forty-nine days running a Gumiho restaurant, and the man promotes the โ€œCream Malangโ€ menu on SNS and waits for someone he must meet. Doyoung, who thought there was no reason to live another forty-nine days, thought he was lonely and unhappy, but he faced the truth that he almost fell without knowing. An exciting story that cannot be missed for a moment continues until the end.

This one is way too hard for me and I probably shouldnโ€™t nominate something I canโ€™t read together with the book club. But itโ€™s on my wish list. The premise seems really interesting so I thought you guys might be interested. If I could somehow figure out how to get it set up so I can use yomi Chan and read with a pop up dictionary, Iโ€™ll try to read it too.

3 Likes

By the way, is it ok to nominate multiple books? Is this an all levels Korean book club or just advanced? Iโ€™m not sure how this works.

3 Likes

Thatโ€™s a good question! Iโ€™ve set up a poll below to see how everyone feels about multiple nominations starting out here.

Regarding accepted submissions, the intro post has some guidelines:

we will be taking nominations from any genre as long as it is a full length work of fiction

This is flexible and open for interpretation so if you find a full length work of fiction thatโ€™s also suitable for beginners thatโ€™s cool and we can add it to the nominations! Due to the nature of it needing to be โ€œfull lengthโ€ though, a lot of nominations may skew more towards intermediate and above it that makes sense. This is the first Korean book club on natively so I left the criteria wide so we can get more participants, but if there is a lot of appetite for a specifically beginners club then it could be set up.

Should we allow multiple nominations?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
If multiple nominations are allowed, how many should be accepted per person?
  • Unlimited
  • Other (leave a comment)
0 voters
2 Likes

Thanks for submitting this! It also looks like a fun read (maybe I will just add this to by TBR list myself)!

In terms of a pop up dictionary, I donโ€™t know if there is any mouseover one for Korean like Japanese has with yomi chan (the โ€œtechโ€ for Korean learners is, unfortunately, less advanced than it is for Japanese), but the ebook reading app โ€œRIDI booksโ€ has a pop up dictionary built into it that lets you look up Korean words in English or your language of choice on the go. Google books also has google translate built in, so you can use machine translation on both words and longer phrases. Those are both tools Iโ€™ve used to help me read from a beginner level 'til now!

Book club admin note: Iโ€™ve now created a table with the nominations so far on the home post! :blush:

2 Likes

(์•ˆ๋ฝ | L27)์†Œ๋ฆฌ๋ฅผ ๋ณด๋Š” ์†Œ๋…„ sounds really cool, if the book club doesnโ€™t end up using it Iโ€™ll probably just end up reading it anyway (so thanks Biblio for sharing it lol)

Hereโ€™s my suggestion though:

Book: [์•ˆ๋ฝ | L27]
Genre: family-centred story
Length: 160 Pages
Is there an ebook avaliable?: Yes - this can be accessed through Natively.

Summary - Korean

์ฃฝ์Œ๋„ ์‚ถ์˜ ์ค‘์š”ํ•œ ํ•œ ์ˆœ๊ฐ„
โ€˜์–ด๋–ป๊ฒŒ ์ฃฝ์„ ๊ฒƒ์ธ๊ฐ€โ€™์ข€ ๋” ๋งŽ์€ ๊ณ ๋ฏผ์ด ํ•„์š”ํ•œ ๋•Œ

๋ณ‘์ƒ์—์„œ ์ƒ์„ ์—ฐ๋ช…ํ•˜๋Š” ์•„ํ”์ผ๊ณฑ์˜ ์ด๋ชจํ• ๋จธ๋‹ˆ์™€ ์ž๋ฐœ์  ์ˆ˜๋ช… ๊ณ„ํš์„ ์„ธ์šฐ๊ณ  ์ง„ํ–‰ํ•˜๋ ค๋Š” ์—ฌ๋“ ์—ฌ๋Ÿ์˜ ํ• ๋จธ๋‹ˆ, ํ• ๋จธ๋‹ˆ์˜ ๊ฒฐ์ •์„ ๋ฐ›์•„๋“ค์ด์ง€ ๋ชปํ•˜๋Š” ์—„๋งˆ์™€ ์ด๋ฅผ ์ง€์ผœ๋ณด๋Š” ๋”ธ ์ง€ํ˜œ๊นŒ์ง€, ์ด ์†Œ์„ค์€ ์ฃฝ์Œ ์•ž์— ์„  ๋‹ค์–‘ํ•œ ์„ธ๋Œ€ ์—ฌ์„ฑ๋“ค์˜ ๊ฐ์ •์„ ํ•œ์ž๋ฆฌ์— ๋ถˆ๋Ÿฌ๋‚ด์˜จ๋‹ค.

10๋…„ ๋’ค์˜ ๊ทผ๋ฏธ๋ž˜์— ๋Œ€ํ•œ๋ฏผ๊ตญ์˜ ์‚ถ์€ ์–ด๋– ํ• ๊นŒ. ์—ฌ์ „ํžˆ ์†Œ์ˆ˜์ž ํ˜์˜ค ์ง‘ํšŒ์™€ ์„ธ๋Œ€ ๊ฐ„ ๊ฐˆ๋“ฑ์œผ๋กœ ์‚ฌํšŒ๋ฟ ์•„๋‹ˆ๋ผ ๊ฐ€์ •๋„ ๋ถ„ํ™”ํ•˜๊ณ  ๋‹คํˆฌ๊ณ  ์žˆ์ง€๋Š” ์•Š์„๊นŒ. ์ด๋Ÿฌํ•œ ์™€์ค‘์— ๊ตญํšŒ์—์„œ๋Š” ์•ˆ๋ฝ์‚ฌ๋ฅผ ํ•ฉ๋ฒ•ํ™”ํ•˜๋Š” ๋ฒ•์•ˆ์ด ๋ฐœ์˜๋˜๊ณ , ํ• ๋จธ๋‹ˆ์˜ ํญํƒ„์„ ์–ธ์œผ๋กœ โ€˜์•ˆ๋ฝ์‚ฌโ€™ ๋ฌธ์ œ๊ฐ€ ๋ณธ๊ฒฉ์ ์œผ๋กœ ์ง€ํ˜œ๋„ค ๊ฐ€์กฑ์—๊ฒŒ ์นจํˆฌ๋œ๋‹ค. ๊ฐ‘์ž‘์Šค๋Ÿฌ์šด ์‚ฌ๊ณ ๋กœ ํ• ์•„๋ฒ„์ง€๋ฅผ ๋ณด๋‚ธ ํ• ๋จธ๋‹ˆ๋Š” ์ธ์‚ฌ๋„ ์—†์ด ์‚ฌ๋ž‘ํ•˜๋Š” ๊ฐ€์กฑ์„ ๋– ๋‚˜๋Š” ์ผ์˜ ์•ˆํƒ€๊นŒ์›€์„ ๋ผˆ์•„ํ”„๊ฒŒ ๋Š๋ผ๊ณ ๋Š” ์Šค์Šค๋กœ ์‹ ๋ณ€ ์ •๋ฆฌ๋ฅผ ์‹œ์ž‘ํ•œ๋‹ค. ๊ทธ์‚ฌ์ด ์•ˆ๋ฝ์‚ฌ ๋ฒ•์•ˆ ํ†ต๊ณผ๋ฅผ ์œ„ํ•œ ๊ตญ๋ฏผํˆฌํ‘œ๊ฐ€ ์ง„ํ–‰๋˜๊ณ  ๊ทธ ๊ฒฐ๊ณผ๋Š” ํ• ๋จธ๋‹ˆ์˜ ์†์„ ๋“ค์–ด์ค€๋‹ค.

์•Œ๊ณ  ํ•˜๋Š” ์ด๋ณ„์ด๋ผ๊ณ  ๋‹ค๋ฅผ ์ˆ˜ ์žˆ์„๊นŒ๋งˆ๋Š” ํ• ๋จธ๋‹ˆ๋Š” ์กฐ์šฉํžˆ ๊ฐ€์กฑ ํ•œ ์‚ฌ๋žŒ ํ•œ ์‚ฌ๋žŒ๊ณผ ๋Œ€ํ™”๋ฅผ ๋‚˜๋ˆ„๊ณ  ์ง์ ‘ ๋‹ด๊ทผ ์ž๋‘์ฃผ๋กœ ์˜จ ๊ฐ€์กฑ๊ณผ ๊ฑด๋ฐฐ๋„ ๋‚˜๋ˆˆ ๋’ค์— โ€œ๋ชจ๋‘ ์ˆ˜๊ณ  ๋งŽ์•˜๋‹ค. ๊ณ ๋ง™๋‹คโ€๋ผ๋Š” ๋ง์„ ๋‚จ๊ธฐ๊ณ  ๋ˆˆ์„ ๊ฐ๋Š”๋‹ค. โ€˜์•„๋ฆ„๋‹ค์šด ๋งˆ๋ฌด๋ฆฌโ€™๋ผ๋Š” ๋ง๋กœ ๊ณ ํ†ต์Šค๋Ÿฌ์šด ์‚ถ์„ ์”ป์–ด๋‚ผ ์ˆ˜๋Š” ์—†๊ฒ ์ง€๋งŒ, ๋– ๋‚˜๊ฐ€์‹œ๋Š” ํ• ๋จธ๋‹ˆ์˜ ๋ชจ์Šต์€ ๊ทธ ์–ด๋Š ๋•Œ๋ณด๋‹ค๋„ ํŽธ์•ˆํ•ด ๋ณด์˜€๋‹ค. ์ฃฝ์Œ๋„ ์‚ถ์˜ ์ค‘์š”ํ•œ ํ•œ ์ˆœ๊ฐ„์ธ ๋งŒํผ ์ด์ œ๋Š” ์‚ถ์˜ ํ•œ๊ฐ€์šด๋ฐ์„œ๋„ ์ฃฝ์Œ์— ๋Œ€ํ•ด ์ข€ ๋” ๋งŽ์€ ๊ณ ๋ฏผ์„ ๋‚˜๋ˆ„์–ด์•ผ ํ•˜์ง€ ์•Š์„๊นŒ, ์†Œ์„ค ใ€Ž์•ˆ๋ฝใ€์ด ์กฐ์‹ฌ์Šค๋Ÿฝ๊ฒŒ ๋ฌป๊ณ  ์žˆ๋‹ค.

Content warnings if known

Euthanasia and grief are regularly covered.

Why are you nominating this book: This was one of the first novels I ever read in Korean, and is still my favourite. It ignited my obsession with reading in Korean, despite my lower comprehension in the book. The book is super short, at only 23k words (at 100wpm thats just under 4 hours, and at 200 wpm thats just under 2 hours (excluding time you may look up words)), and uses a super condensed amount of words - 4k unique - that isnโ€™t super obscure. So I believe itโ€™s a pretty good entryway into adult fiction.
Below are the frequency of words (using a frequency list based of dramas) for anyone interested
5 stars - first 1.5k most common words
4 stars - 1.5k - 5k most common words
3 stars - 5k - 15k most common words
2 stars - 15k - 30k most common words

3 Likes

Thanks for the nomination! That looks super interesting and I might end up reading that if it doesnโ€™t get chosen (along with all the other nominations- they all look great
)!

The breakdown of word frequency is also cool! How did you get the data for that?

3 Likes

There are Korean dictionaries available for Yomichan (if you also use it for Japanese) or Yomichan for Korean (de-inflects Korean verbs; conflicts with original Yomichan). Thereโ€™s also Toktogi for Chrome.

Seems like all our wish lists are growingโ€ฆ So many great suggestions! :laughing:

2 Likes