2024 Bingo Reading Challenge ☑️

Freezer Husband for free to read! It could also count as a bad cover (notice a pattern in the kind of covers I dislike?), but anything else free to read would need to be Aozora, and therefore an even worse cover (as in non-existent).

13 Likes

Checking in on my card

First bingo!

11 Likes

Congrats! :blush:

You should next read a debut, just for the sake of the pattern’s beauty :star_struck:

5 Likes

I wish that info was a bit easier to find on Natively!

5 Likes

Could pick an author you enjoy reading and look up what they debuted with.

4 Likes

Frieren is also a non-human protagonist.

3 Likes

Two additions: 献灯使 | L39 (elderly main character) and スレイヤーズ 1 | L36 (has a media adaptation). There are a bunch of other things I could have put them down as, but what ever. Again, I’ll start thinking about that when it starts getting hard.

Previous stuff

“hardest ever” 春琴抄 | L52??
“what should I read next” どうも、噂の悪女でございます 聖女の力は差し上げるので、私はお暇頂戴します ベリーズファンタジー | L30??
“ultimate random” このたび不本意ながら、神様の花嫁になりました1巻 | L24??
“finish a series” (technically just the latest published volume): TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 9 下 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40
Fiction of non-fic: ドッグスレッド 2 | L26 (partial, but I’ll take it)
Untranslated: TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 4 上 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40 | Natively (kinda feels like cheating, but it’s true).
Vol2: 葬送のフリーレン 2 | L25 | Natively
Book club: 今日からマのつく自由業! | L33 | Natively
New to me author: 東京ヒゴロ 1 | L28 | Natively
In a single day: 蟲師 1 | L29 | Natively
Contains a character that speaks a dialect: 神様はじめました | L28 | Natively(putting the series because I don’t remember in which volume she appears first)
Bad cover: TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 2 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を | L40 | Natively
Chosen for me: BANANA FISH 1 | L33 | Natively
Webstore suggestion: TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 3 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40 | Natively
Added by you: ドッグスレッド 1 | L28?? | Natively
Published 2020~ TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 1 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40 | Natively (that means I am using different volumes from the same series twice, but I guess that’s legit?)
神社⛩️ 神様はじめました 第1巻 | L28 | Natively
0~1 kanji in the title BANANA FISH 2 | L33 | Natively (already used volume 1)

Looking through some of my “TBR next in series”, I found one LN where the next two volumes were published in 2007 so I could fill that spot plus “published in 2007” (the year I started learning Japanese) between the two of them.

Other than that, I now have a line and a column with 4 Xs! I could go for longest in TBR or shortest book next. Oldest bought (not read yet) is ノルウェイの森 (1) | L32 :thinking: I got it, along with the 下 half for 105 jpy each back in 2009, so they could also work for “cheapest (not free)”. I don’t think I have anything cheaper than that (that I haven’t read yet). Finding a book I can’t remember adding to my TBR or from a male author seems trivially easy.

11 Likes

May 29:
a book chosen randomly: SPY×FAMILY 家族の肖像

I actually used a coin-flip website to choose this one lol (first choose between my not-sports shelf and my sports shelf, then divide in half until I reach 1)

And now this makes 3 bings! (4 corners, last row, last column)

11 Likes

With 神去なあなあ夜話 I finished a series (great idea, @GreenSeaTurtle !), and all of a sudden I have 4 bingos (if we count the four corners, which I had no idea we can count).

Only 3 more squares to complete the bingo. Strangely enough, the one that’s giving me the most trouble is the random one. Whenever I try a random number generator I’m quick to dismiss its result, and not even because I never like the book it points to. It just somehow feels too easy to take seriously. Maybe I should try the coin-flip idea. Slowly narrowing down the list of potential books sounds more satisfying for some reason.

14 Likes

Same as @omk3 (not surprising really, we read it together in an informal book club - thanks again!), I have finished 神去なあなあ夜話 | L34 and will use it for the “finish a series” square.

previously filled squares

no gradings/ratings/reviews on Natively yet 13階段 | L29
debut work 木曜日にはココアを | L28
for free (was a present) リボルバー | L31
award-winning 容疑者Xの献身 | L32
bad cover 西の魔女が死んだ | L28
read in a single day 天国はまだ遠く | L28

8 Likes

I finished https://learnnatively.com/book/2c1e37ec2e/ and use it for the „book club“ square.
Not that interesting for me, unfortunately. It was okay, nothing more.

previously filled squares

finish a series 神去なあなあ夜話 | L34
no gradings/ratings/reviews on Natively yet 13階段 | L29
debut work 木曜日にはココアを | L28
for free (was a present) リボルバー | L31
award-winning 容疑者Xの献身 | L32
bad cover 西の魔女が死んだ | L28
read in a single day 天国はまだ遠く | L28

6 Likes

Two more additions:
銀河鉄道の夜 | L32 as my shortest TBR. Could have been used as “published before 1940”, though :thinking:
後宮の烏 | L35 finally finished the book club pick :sweat_smile: I don’t know why, but the inspiration just struck me yesterday and I read the remaining half (when I disappeared from the club) in a single sitting. I enjoyed the book over all, even though the setting feels a bit contrived and messy in the end. I’m putting it down as “no middle- or high-schooler”. Technically, the main character is 16, but her behavior is more in line with a much older woman (and her speech pattern is in Yer Olde Yamato-go, which increases that impression), so I’m still counting it. If anything, 九九 sounds like a teenage girl, despite being older than that (I think; there’s no mention of her age that I could find in the book or on the internet).

By the way, looking at the last column, I was confused a bit by the difference between “lowest level” and “TBR easiest”. I found my notes, and, note to self in case I forget again, “lowest level” is “lowest level ever” (i.e., equal to or lower than my easiest logged book). Man, what a challenging column (well, cheapest not free and workplace do compensate for that a bit).

Previous stuff

“elderly main character” 献灯使 | L39
“has media adaptation” スレイヤーズ 1 | L35
“hardest ever” 春琴抄 | L52??
“what should I read next” どうも、噂の悪女でございます 聖女の力は差し上げるので、私はお暇頂戴します ベリーズファンタジー | L30??
“ultimate random” このたび不本意ながら、神様の花嫁になりました1巻 | L24??
“finish a series” (technically just the latest published volume): TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 9 下 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40
Fiction of non-fic: ドッグスレッド 2 | L26 (partial, but I’ll take it)
Untranslated: TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 4 上 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40 | Natively (kinda feels like cheating, but it’s true).
Vol2: 葬送のフリーレン 2 | L25 | Natively
Book club: 今日からマのつく自由業! | L33 | Natively
New to me author: 東京ヒゴロ 1 | L28 | Natively
In a single day: 蟲師 1 | L29 | Natively
Contains a character that speaks a dialect: 神様はじめました | L28 | Natively(putting the series because I don’t remember in which volume she appears first)
Bad cover: TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 2 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を | L40 | Natively
Chosen for me: BANANA FISH 1 | L33 | Natively
Webstore suggestion: TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 3 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40 | Natively
Added by you: ドッグスレッド 1 | L28?? | Natively
Published 2020~ TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 1 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40 | Natively (that means I am using different volumes from the same series twice, but I guess that’s legit?)
神社⛩️ 神様はじめました 第1巻 | L28 | Natively
0~1 kanji in the title BANANA FISH 2 | L33 | Natively (already used volume 1)

8 Likes

I stretched a point a little and used 謎解きはディナーのあとで 3 | L31 for “book you read despite its cover”. I don’t think the cover is the worst thing I’ve ever seen, and it arguably fits the book’s mystery/humour style, but I’m not a fan of it:

7 Likes

I cannot see any stretched point whatsoever… :rofl: :flushed: :scream: :confounded:

6 Likes

Why’s the green-haired guy in a different art style… I probably wouldn’t mind it if not for that.

(I’m also working on my “bad cover” one but it’s pry gonna be a while. I keep playing viddy games instead…)

2 Likes