2024 Bingo Reading Challenge ☑️

Been a while since I checked in on the forums here, haven’t been reading a whole lot outside of my tiny bites and sometimes some random manga, but I also participated in the solstice reading challenge and finally knocked off some more bingo squares! (I also had to regenerate my card so the squares are in different spots whoops)

New Completed:

10 Likes

I added a couple now

木曜日にはココアを | L27 as my debut, and
三人屋 | L31 as no previous reviews

8 Likes

I’m currently (re)reading a novel that’s got a non-human character, but I’m not sure if it counts for the non-human protagonist square. He only shows up in flashbacks because he died a year before the present time. There are three protagonists, but he’s the central figure in the plot—like, you take him out, there is no story—so he is a main character in that respect…

5 Likes

I don’t think there are any strict guidelines for what counts and what doesn’t. It’s meant to be a fun challenge, so in the end you get to decide how you want to interpret the prompt.

6 Likes

As a aside, if anyone else is looking for non-human protagonists,
I put 木になった亜沙 as my non-human protagonist, but I might swap it for

When I eventually read it.
From my understanding it’s an otherwise standard boy meets girl novel, but the girl is a talking marble :rofl:

Sounds kinda fun/silly premise.
(but I haven’t read it yet, so if it’s a terrible recommendation don’t blame me too much)

7 Likes

Wow, I’m not updating here and starting to forget.

Since last time:

TBR don’t remember why: 本を守ろうとする猫の話 | L31
TBR easiest: ふらいんぐうぃっち 6 | L19
Lowest level: 人外さんの嫁 1巻 (ZERO-SUMコミックス) | L17 (used to be level 18, so one lower right now; picked kinda randomly by going through the stuff available on Natively)
Prettiest book: 地獄くらやみ花もなき 弐 生き人形の島 | L31 That opinion is definitely biased by the fact I find 青児 in a suit incredibly hot, and 皓 is pretty much himself… although that opinion is now tempered by the fact that, despite being hundred of years old, he is approximately 15 in 鬼 years. I guess I could move the book to “non human protagonist”, but, like volume 1, it does feel like cheating. I could just do the “male author” one too, in which case I am almost getting my first bingo on this grid.

Previous stuff

“shortest TBR” 銀河鉄道の夜 | L32
“book club” 後宮の烏 | L36
“elderly main character” 献灯使 | L39
“has media adaptation” スレイヤーズ 1 | L35
“hardest ever” 春琴抄 | L52??
“what should I read next” どうも、噂の悪女でございます 聖女の力は差し上げるので、私はお暇頂戴します ベリーズファンタジー | L30??
“ultimate random” このたび不本意ながら、神様の花嫁になりました1巻 | L24??
“finish a series” (technically just the latest published volume): TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 9 下 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40
Fiction of non-fic: ドッグスレッド 2 | L26 (partial, but I’ll take it)
Untranslated: TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 4 上 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40 | Natively (kinda feels like cheating, but it’s true).
Vol2: 葬送のフリーレン 2 | L25 | Natively
Book club: 今日からマのつく自由業! | L33 | Natively
New to me author: 東京ヒゴロ 1 | L28 | Natively
In a single day: 蟲師 1 | L29 | Natively
Contains a character that speaks a dialect: 神様はじめました | L28 | Natively(putting the series because I don’t remember in which volume she appears first)
Bad cover: TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 2 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を | L40 | Natively
Chosen for me: BANANA FISH 1 | L33 | Natively
Webstore suggestion: TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 3 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40 | Natively
Added by you: ドッグスレッド 1 | L28?? | Natively
Published 2020~ TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 1 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40 | Natively (that means I am using different volumes from the same series twice, but I guess that’s legit?)
神社⛩️ 神様はじめました 第1巻 | L28 | Natively
0~1 kanji in the title BANANA FISH 2 | L33 | Natively (already used volume 1)

Oh, in other news, my cheapest not free has changed, since I got 京都寺町三条のホームズ | L30?? for like 33 yens due to the discount. (So that square is probably locked up for a couple months, until the end of the book club)

6 Likes

I haven’t really made progress with my bingo card, only adding 2 squares since my last update - even though I have read a bunch since then.

The new squares are

Guess I should start reading specific books to hit specific squares. :melting_face:

8 Likes

I read a bunch more last week.

TBR lightest cover: リウーを待ちながら 1 | L30?? It’s almost entirely white. Can’t really beat that.
TBR darkest cover: リウーを待ちながら(2) | L30?? It feels like cheating, but the second volume is almost entirely black. Also can’t beat that.
The cover of the 3rd volume of リウーを待ちながら is almost entirely red, so I could technically use it for “warm color”, but that really feels too much :joy: I’ll keep it in mind if I need that spot in the future.

Non-fiction: スマホはどこまで脳を壊すか | L30??
Award winner: ハンチバック | L33 (Boy, that one was something)
TBR hesitate the most: 私の推しは悪役令嬢。 | L33 It’s been on my TBR for 2 years and a half, mostly because it’s a kindle exclusive and I just don’t want to use one more app. I ended up enjoying it quite a lot (despite having issues with it) and ended up buying the whole series :joy: (I’m almost done with volume 2, which will count as my “latest bought” here since they were all bought at the same time…)

Previous stuff

Lowest level: 人外さんの嫁 1巻 (ZERO-SUMコミックス) | L17
Prettiest book: 地獄くらやみ花もなき 弐 生き人形の島 | L31
“book club” 後宮の烏 | L36
“what should I read next” どうも、噂の悪女でございます 聖女の力は差し上げるので、私はお暇頂戴します ベリーズファンタジー | L30??
“finish a series” (technically just the latest published volume): TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 9 下 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40
Untranslated: TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 4 上 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40 | Natively (kinda feels like cheating, but it’s true).
Contains a character that speaks a dialect: 神様はじめました | L28 | Natively(putting the series because I don’t remember in which volume she appears first)
Published 2020~ TRPGプレイヤーが異世界で最強ビルドを目指す 1 ~ヘンダーソン氏の福音を~ | L40 | Natively (that means I am using different volumes from the same series twice, but I guess that’s legit?)

31/64, with more than a few LN/Manga not accounted for yet (later volumes in series that I keep to not flood the card; mostly going to use them to fill stuff like “male author” and other generic stuff if need be).

8 Likes

Two bingos at once thanks to finishing 黒猫の小夜曲 | L29 ! Nonhuman protagonist (a shinigami in the body of a cat). I enjoyed it a lot, even if my summer reading slump meant it took awhile for me to finish it :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

I’ve finished another book. :tada:

An author you’ve never read before: あなたも殺人犯になれる! | L26

I really enjoyed it! It came as advertised: essentially a beach read. I definitely want to check out one of the author’s other works at some point; will definitely need to post in the suggestions mega thread when than happens since he has so many.

12 Likes

Weekly update so that I don’t forget

Done! For my own future convenience, latest bought: 私の推しは悪役令嬢。2 | L33

Also, workplace: わたし、定時で帰ります。 | L35

Previous stuff

TBR lightest cover: リウーを待ちながら 1 | L30??
TBR darkest cover: リウーを待ちながら(2) | L30??
Award winner: ハンチバック | L33
TBR hesitate the most: 私の推しは悪役令嬢。 | L33
“book club” 後宮の烏 | L36

Considering I am reading the “cheapest (not free)” one with the LN book club, I should get at least one bingo in a couple of weeks. I also started my oldest bought. I finished the first chapter, but it’s not really pulling me… still, if I can just finish it, I can just put whatever in “male author” and get another one.

“TBR published most recently” sounds tricky :sweat_smile: I guess I can hack that by using the “next” volume of 本好きの下剋上 that comes out in a month. It’s so recent, it isn’t even published yet. (You can already preorder it on Bookwalker, maybe amazon too? I haven’t checked; anyway, it does count as being in my TBR)
(The reason for putting quotation marks around next is that the main series is over, that’s a new series that follows different characters in the same world, some time after the end of the main part; as I expected, they did add 本好きの下剋上 in front of the original title of the original web series, which makes the most sense from a marketing perspective)

8 Likes

Another bingo!

I finished もし僕らのことばがウィスキーであったなら | L28
For non-fiction.

Haruki Murakami giving little stories around drinking whiskey on holiday in scottish island Islay and Ireland.

8 Likes

Getting close to bingos!

I recently finished
TBR cool colors: 吸血鬼はお年ごろ | L26 (it’s mostly blue and green, but I admit that there’s some red, yellow and so on in there)
and
TBR colorful cover: 忘らるる物語 | L34?? (although it’s hard to see on the tiny Natively preview; there are a bunch of small flowers in there)

Previous stuff

latest bought: 私の推しは悪役令嬢。2 | L33
workplace: わたし、定時で帰ります。 | L35
TBR lightest cover: リウーを待ちながら 1 | L30??
TBR darkest cover: リウーを待ちながら(2) | L30??
Award winner: ハンチバック | L33
TBR hesitate the most: 私の推しは悪役令嬢。 | L33
“book club” 後宮の烏 | L36

10 Likes

Finished こぐまのクーク (started with a WK book club but finished ahead of time to have it count for my July reading :grin:) which I had picked randomly from my TBR.
I am currently reading 六番目の小夜子 (with the summer horror / Onda Riku book clubs) which happens to be a debut, so I’ve moved 世界から猫が消えたなら from “Debut” to “Non-human protagonist”; this way I can fit both into my Bingo :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Read the book with the simplest cover - しずかな日々

3 stars :star:
This book was short and easy to read (I didn’t read the furigana ver, I read the normal one).
Although the story is about a boy in the 5th grade, the writing style isn’t childish.
Not an amazing read but definitely fun and I enjoyed reading it.

Read the lastest book you bought - 誰が勇者を殺したか 預言の章

5 stars :star: + it’s becaome a new fav of mine :sparkles:
This book came out on the first day of this month and I bought it right away and was able to finish it today! As a big fan of the first series I had to read it right away and I wasn’t disappointed :sparkling_heart:
The main character of this book is so cool :sparkling_heart: I want to talk about this book more but not here, I may write it as a review on its page later this week

Anyway congrats to me for getting one bingo finally :smiley:

8 Likes

I’d forgotten to update my bingo card, but two recent reads that count for squares:

日本語で読むということ | L40 for nonfiction

隠れの子 東京バンドワゴン零 | L29 for book you added to natively

so I now have 10/16 filled in and no bingos yet:

My next will probably be “set in a workplace”, extending the bingo less streak :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Finished 六番目の小夜子 and used it as the debut work.

10 fields filled in but still only one Bingo :rofl: In order to get a Bingo with the next book, I would either need “added to Natively by you” (I have quite a bunch of these but I am in a number of book clubs right now so it won’t happen soon, I think) or “Longest on TBR pile” (this book is in the works but I’m reading it in the sauna so it may take a while, I’m currently at 25%) or “Higher Natively level” (which might be my best bet, I am thinking of getting over and done with 糞尿譚 at some point :laughing:).

Haven’t made up my mind yet regarding what to put in that square; any suggestions from your side?

7 Likes

Someone finally recorded an audiobook for it, not sure if you were in the convo where it was discussed (Audible link)

5 Likes

Oh thanks! Will check it out :blush:

2 Likes

I’m about a third of the way through 舟を編む | L34 so that’s the one I have in mind. I’m only making slow progress though because although it’s not a bad book it turns out not to quite be my kind of book. It’s “people working on a dictionary” plus “geeky, socially awkward person falls in love” and although I like the former I don’t really get on with the latter so much. So it’s sat in my in-progress pile for at least six months now while I’ve read other items from my TBR pile…

7 Likes