Add dedicated author page

Description of your request or bug report:

Right now, when you click an author link, it just brings up the search page. This often includes results for other authors besides the one you selected. It would be good to have a dedicated author page to avoid this. For example, namo brings up 17 results (one volume only) even though only 3 are by that author.

Trello link: (leave in blank)

And/or maybe allow specific ā€œsearch by authorā€ rather than a single ā€œsearch on both title and authorā€?

3 Likes

something like how GR deals with it, would be nice, imo.

or leaving the search as is, but then having 3 tabs: ALL, AUTHOR, TITLE or something along those lines that can be used for sorting the results. :thinking:

1 Like

I donā€™t mind either way whether search is improved like that, but just to be clear thatā€™s not the request and wouldnā€™t solve the problem Iā€™m having. Using my example, there are other authors with ā€œnamoā€ in their name, making the search page a bad substitute for a dedicated author page.

Perhaps that should be made into a separate request.

5 Likes

ah, I see. I misunderstood. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sometimes the author may go by different names, so author pages may help with that? At least, donā€™t treat as just a word.

Recently I saw é’ęŸ³ē¢§äŗŗ, but itā€™s a different case ā€“ just missing a space (é’ęŸ³ ē¢§äŗŗ)

2 Likes

In such cases I give feedback and the space is removed fairly quickly. This could probably be automated - remove any spaces from author names to eliminate the chances of the same name counting as two different names.

However, in case of actual different names for one author (using a pen name for some books, real name for others, for example), this would need someone researching all authors one by one. Itā€™s probably not worth it, and such cases will be very few anyway.

I think a problem with the search is that thereā€™s no way (as far as I know) to tell it to search for an exact string. So if you need to search for shorter words or names, youā€™ll get many more results than you need - for example searching for the book 恂悓 brings up 369 results, and the book Iā€™m looking for (titled just 恂悓ļ¼‰ is not even on the first page. Adding quotation marks changes nothing.

4 Likes

Yes, Iā€™ve done this too on several occasions, but it feels like pushing a boulder uphill compared to doing an automated search and fix on the whole database and putting in a guard against any more instances getting in in futureā€¦

4 Likes