Product Updates & Casual Natively Discussion

Here’s where it was brought up by @nativelearner - Do you trust Natively levels? - #77 by nativelearner - not sure if they’re experiencing it still

Related bug?

2 Likes

I just came across a weird bug that I feel like I’ve seen before. The level of a book in book search turned out to be different from the one on the book’s page. I thought it was the sorting by difficulty level bug at first, but 죽이고 싶은 아이 is actually L25 here.

3 Likes

Is there a product request for proper author handling so that clicking an author link goes to a dedicated author page and doesn’t just do a search?

3 Likes

I don’t think so… I did a quick search in Product Requests and nothing turned up either. That would be great to see tho!

2 Likes

As far as I know, as @暁のルナ said, no there isn’t.

1 Like

Alright, thanks for double checking since I couldn’t find one either. I’ll write one up in a bit.

EDIT: Done Add dedicated author page

4 Likes

Thanks all for that info about the extra gradings. Will try to take a look this week!

In other news, I made some alterations to the search page again, hopefully the initial load now is a bit quicker, but not too much change. I don’t think i’ll be able to make it feel ‘speedy’ until I finish my infrasture update unfortunately, so might be a couple of weeks.

I’ve also gone ahead and made the search header toggleable between item types (books / videos):

That was a part of the Video Game / Web book branch and I do continue to make progress on that feature as infrastructure work progresses. I got the addition process working, item pages and basic toggling of statuses. As I move into overhauling the profile page, I’ll incorporate updates for that feature too.

Heh, that’s an interesting case. Yeah, I was caching search results for a day to help with performance, but i’ve rolled that back, so you shouldn’t see anymore

6 Likes

I think there might be more to the level bug.

For example this L19 book 秋が きました | L19 has been showing up as L30?? on all searches for the past few weeks.

1 Like

interesting :thinking:

I just fixed that one but yeah that one was just not synced correctly. It wasn’t a search caching issue.

1 Like

I just requested an item but not I’m not sure if I should have.

It’s a Chinese drama that I’m watching with Japanese subs, but I guess in hindsight it shouldn’t be added since the dub is still Chinese?

On the other hand I watch most dramas on viki and they almost always have Japanese subs so i use it to watch a lot of Korean and Chinese dramas with Japanese subs which at least helps with reading comprehension I guess?

So my question is would sub only content be desirable or not to be indicated in searches?

I guess some kind of info about subs in other languages could be kind of useful?

3 Likes

I watch translated / dubbed things all the time, it’s totally fine. You are still immersing in the language :slight_smile:

I think you’re right that a ‘translated’ tag would make sense and I could generate that automatically for movies and TV. It’s a good idea for a product request if you want to open it. I don’t think it’s been requested!

4 Likes

Discourse is going really slow and throwing random error 502’s

And also this:

3 Likes

Same for me

3 Likes

sorry, was upgrading then!

It’s all done now.

I probably should always put up a site banner or do scheduled maintenance.

7 Likes

Hey @brandon, when you get a chance could you do a quick fix on the light blue in dark mode? This is probably the most glaring issue in dark mode currently and fixing it would go a long way.

3 Likes

@brandon Question, is the TV icon here supposed to filter to movies/tv? The TV icon shows only grading activity for books (which aren’t showing up when I click the book icon only here). I don’t have any movies in my activity.

Android/chrome FYI but does the same in Firefox.

5 Likes

Oh interesting. I’m guessing for those grading activities you also graded a tv show or a movie? If that’s the case, I guess that’s not entirely a bug perse, but definitely an oddity…

@seanblue roger that. I can try to knock that out, it bothers me too.

Would love to get back to the dark mode fixes in general, but lots to do.

4 Likes

Nope! I have no movie/TV data on my Natively account at all, not even in my wishlist.

1 Like

There may be an bug in the search. When searching for a tv series on the site I got the error message Error loading search results.

2 Likes

Were the number of books/videos added and number of gradings removed from people’s personal pages? I can no longer see those stats on my own page (on an Android phone, on chrome).

2 Likes